+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CLEANOUT DEVICE FOR A/C DRAIN LINES

Post Likes
    There are many options that are given using these cleanouts. Nitrogen, CO2, WetVac, Or Water pressure. In many areas (such as mine in Florida) the units are in garages or in laundry rooms off of a garage that allows a garden hose to be used. I have seen Techs tap off of water heaters and sink faucets that are close to the unit. Although it is not always available or practical the use of water to flush out the drain line is very effective. These are options I felt are good to have for guys in the field. I have been there and would rather have more options than less. Hope this makes sense of why I designed all of it.
    If you look at the AA1 I included a pin that can hold the flapper down to act like a shut off valve. I did it for the rare occasions you have 2 units drain lines tied together and normally you would have to cap off one line and blow out the other. This allows you to do it without having to cut and cap the line. My point is it only cost a few cents me to add it to the product but when and if you need it can and will save a lot of time and mess. Look at that part in the video https://youtu.be/l6PsgVfbkog

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    You show cleaning this out with an attachment on the end of a garden hose sprayer.

In the house, where do you propose to attach the hose?

Hello, Mr/Mrs Homeowner. I need to drag this hose through your house. Is that okay?

Post Likes
    I just wanted to add that this new code is in effect in a lot of states now and is meant to give service techs an easier access to service the line without having to cut it or pull it apart. It helps to show why I came out with these different devices. They are very inexpensive and definitely a time saver.
    New IMC Code (307.2.5) and IRC (M1411.3.3) "DRAIN LINE MAINTENANCE"
    Condensate drain lines shall be configured to allow the clearing of blockages and performance of maintenance without having to cut the line.

Post Likes
    There's no question that in a lot of situations its very helpful to have a clean out but has anyone ever heard of a wet vac. If the drain line terminates outside which pretty much all new construction does, then there would more than likely never be a need to cut the drain line for service assuming it's piped correctly. Blowing nitro into the drain line should only be done as a last resort & never as a standard clean out procedure. Sucking out the drain line in one direction is a much better clearing method than pushing anything back into the unit. There are going to be times when a vacuum isn't strong enough but rarely & it is certainly adequate for routine maintenance. If I were an inspector I would interpret any drain line open at the outside of the building to be a means of service to clean out blockages & perform maintenance without having to cut the line.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    I agree with the suction method and in fact the original inventor and I had developed the product now called Mighty Pump for that reason. The only problem is the code calls for performance of maintenance as well as clearing the line. Also in many areas the line terminates in hard to reach places outside or in some places to an indoor drain.
    The cleanouts I designed allow for the use of a wet vac inside the home from both directions. Also I designed the AA1 to allow only up to 30 psi to be used before the flapper automatically opens so it protects the line from over pressure damage. The flapper in it must be removed to clear the lone going into the unit so that debris is not pushed into the pan.
    I cleared thousands of drains in my 25 years of being a s florida contractor. I know all about it and have had my share of condensate nightmares.
    Thanks for the great feedback and if you would like I can send you a sample of any of my products you might be interested in.

Post Likes
    Garyed,
    I forgot to ask if they adopted and started to enforce the code yet in your area.
    Soaker

Post Likes
    I agree there are definitely a lot of places where the clean out device is needed. Most everyone uses the EZ trap around here & I'm not sure if the inspectors enforce the code or consider that to be compliant. I've never asked but code enforcement really depends on the inspector & in which city around here. We have three different cities & a county that interpret & enforce things differently all within a half hour drive. It seems like they all come up with something different every time they go to a class. Things like insulating the liquid lines, venting the drain line, PVC cleaner on our pipe connections are not standard for all but some make you do it.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Same situation here. If you don't mind send me your address and I will send you out some samples to try. I have a sales rep in the area and the new switches are really catching on.
    Send email to sales@msdresearch.net.
    The switches cost less than my old SS products and are redesigned for more reliability for todays units.

Post Likes
    I forgot to mention that we had one of the largest contractor companies in TX finish a full testing of my new products because they wanted to change from the old SS and EZ products. They just started ordeing these new products. They passed every test they ran them through.

Post Likes
    Seems pretty convenient! Nice work
    Last edited by Dad; 02-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Post Likes
    PaulsReno

Stop. You are posting illegally.

Do not post your business link or use your logo for an avatar until you are a Pro Member.

I have stopped you from posting until I can clean up your mess. Then I will reopen your account.

Post Likes
    Thank you!! I appreciate the feedback.

Post Likes
    PAULSRENO,
    I am a pro member and I have been only discussing new inventions of mine which fall under the category Member Inventions. I can stop using links to show what the products look like if you feel it is not following the rues for this forum area.
    Please let me know.

Post Likes
    It is hard now to describe and show what the products are without any kind of picture or video. What is the best way to do this?

Post Likes
    Do you anticipate or tested this product in a freezing enviormental ( if there is water residue still in the trap from the end of the A/C season attic install ) as I've seen PVC develope hairline cracks or even pop a section off, one reason we pipe the trap with a clean out plug inside the auxiliary drain pan. Does this product have any restrictions such as not recommended in freezing temperatures. Does this product hold condensate water if installed in a horizontal position that can freeze and possible crack the body or move the flapper or internal parts , changing the dynamic?

Post Likes
    Joey,
    I have been testing these products for over 2 years now in all environments including freezing, heat, bleach, etc. and have had no issues. The devices are not meant to hold water although there could be a small layer of water left inside after being in use.
    A very large contractor in Texas did complete testing of all the products before making the switch over to them and this was the response I got:
    It's a go, just got out of meeting with parts house and they are going to have them in stock shortly. Not one failed in our lab, even when we tried to get them to fail by dumping coil cleaner directly through them, also did bleach. Even froze water in one and thawed it out. GOOD PRODUCT SIR
    www.allaccessdevice.com

Post Likes
    Joey,
    What I meant by not being meant to hold water is that water should flow out except for a small layer on the bottom. Didn't want to make it sound like they can't have water running through them which would of course defeat the purpose. Sorry I even had to clarify that but I know someone would have called me out on it. lol

Post Likes
    That's awesome! Great creation.

Post Likes
    Thank you!!

Post Likes
    edit....

Post Likes
    Why did you write edit....?

Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    edit....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in