+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel to steel

Post Likes

Steel to steel

Anybody have any luck fixing steel to steel connections on a compressor ive done copper to steel no problems dont want to change this pos if i dont have to tia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Use brass brazing rod.
    The kind that has the flux coating, then use more flux and clean the crap out of that connection.
    Probably your best bet is to hangs the compressor though.
    Why did it crack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes aquadave liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks like manufacturer defect 3 of them parallel on mcquay agz might be mechanical but wont hold gas long enough to try .
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    brush the paint off and weld it.
    Nest is POO!!

6. Likes jheller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Anybody have any luck fixing steel to steel connections on a compressor
    Yes! Clean, Flux, then Silver Solder.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    brush the paint off and weld it.
    He'd have to mig or tig weld that, and that looks like a real tight spot.

But honestly - a real weld is all that would really last, as there is not a joint to speak of. You could get silver braze to fill the crack, and get it to seal, but it will crack again.

Post Likes
    There again I use the black hi temp flux.
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    Yes! Clean, Flux, then Silver Solder.

Post Likes
    Years ago we would use a steel coat hanger and oxy accet.
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    He'd have to mig or tig weld that, and that looks like a real tight spot.

But honestly - a real weld is all that would really last, as there is not a joint to speak of. You could get silver braze to fill the crack, and get it to seal, but it will crack again.

11. Likes mrkelly liked this post.
    Post Likes
    WHY? change it looks like a can of worms but if you must use pre-fluxed brazing rods liquid/ paste flux will seep into your system and destroy it, silver solder just doesn't work well on steel

Post Likes
    I would change the compressor and find out what caused the crack in the compressor in the first place.

14. Likes clintstearns liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aquadave View Post
    WHY? silver solder just doesn't work well on steel

You are correct again my friend! And these pics are not steel to steel joined with silver either? I have done it way too many times to count, and would of had the unit Silver Soldered, Evacuated, Charged, and back online Yesterday! Then I would find the reason it failed, and fix it, as was mentioned, if it was not a factory defect.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

16. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aquadave View Post
    WHY? change it looks like a can of worms but if you must use pre-fluxed brazing rods liquid/ paste flux will seep into your system and destroy it, silver solder just doesn't work well on steel

how much do you use!? it takes a minor coating. not blobs
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes

Steel to steel

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Years ago we would use a steel coat hanger and oxy accet.
    I did not bring that up due to the excessive heat required for that. Also coat hangers are fine for most general mild steels and so forth, but for that he'd need something like RG-60 or RG-45 and likely 1/16 rod as 3/32 would be to much filler.

Either way - if the OP is not a skilled/practiced welder, I would not recommend to DIY that. Brazing would be a better option at least to get the machine back online- how ever short lived.

19. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I did not bring that up due to the excessive heat required for that. Also coat hangers are fine for most general mild steels and so forth, but for that he'd need something like RG-60 or RG-45 and likely 1/16 rod as 3/32 would be to much filler.

Either way - if the OP is not a skilled/practiced welder, I would not recommend to DIY that. Brazing would be a better option at least to get the machine back online- how ever short lived.

Post Likes
    I have repaired several cracks on steel compressor shells. Most of the times on scrolls they develop a crack on the pressed in dimple that holds the I thermal motor in place. Well the compressor on start up has a lot of torque/kick and over time these dimples crack since this is what's holding the internal motor in place. Well at Home Depot they sell this brass colored rod that has a white flux coating. It's made for oxyacetylene welding works great on steel to steel, copper to steel, I believe also works on stainless steel. It's dirt cheap also. It's like $10 for a pack of rods.

22. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Below is a link to a old video I had of a leak repaired on the compressors shell. I have fixed about 10 comoressors never seen one recrack. You must sand the compressor down to its bare metal. Remove all of the paint. A wire wheel in your drill works good. But when the leak is on the vertical side it can be messy as you can see in my video. The melted rod wants to run down the shell. Then I sprayed zinc paint to protect it from rusting out so quick.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JdO_Kx_VJN4

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Sure; you can do that. 50+% silver solder will work but what you Really want to use is bronze rod. They come fluxed but get some extra flux anyway. Oh; and you need a 1800º flux too.

And a little higher heat is required (1150 versus about 1700) but it makes a great joint in this application. Bronze won't 'capillary-run' like silver will - you have to 'push' it a little - like actual brazing. But bronze makes a better job of it.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Anybody have any luck fixing steel to steel connections on a compressor ive done copper to steel no problems dont want to change this pos if i dont have to tia.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in