Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Probably cause it was never done.
    Exactly my thought. The ManualJ he sent over was dated two days prior to me receiving it - not a year ago like I would have expected.

His comment back to me, "I know your house plan like the back of my hand, done it hundreds of times in every scenario, and humidity, over sized or under sized equipment is never an issue." That tells me he puts the same system in each of the floorplans, regardless of the differences in each home.

Post Likes
    Yeah, sounds like he has no interest in doing it right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    So they sent a tech (same tech who has been here three times) out today who ran various tests today and found everything to be running perfectly. He also used a device to test the humidity levels downstairs in the basement and also near the thermostat. Both devices showed 47-48% relative humidity, yet my thermostat shows 65% RH. I asked the tech if the thermostat was defective and he said he could offset the reading. I'm assuming he meant he could adjust it to match what he wants it to say? For reference, this is a Honeywell TH8321R1001.

I purchased an Accurite device from Walmart this morning to measure the RH in the house, placing it near the thermostat. I'll take a look tonight to see what the readings are.

At this point, my contractor is going to tell me everything is perfect and to go fly a kite.

Post Likes
    where is the thermostat mounted on the wall? it's possible it is pulling in attic air from an unsealed wiring penetration, and incorrectly reporting the humidity level...

but...

how does the air temp in the house FEEL?

at 72F, are you comfortable? or do you feel clammy? if you FEEL comfortable at 72, the humidity readings the contractor is showing you is probably correct.

if you FEEL UNcomfortable, then the thermostat is likely correct...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

5. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    where is the thermostat mounted on the wall? it's possible it is pulling in attic air from an unsealed wiring penetration, and incorrectly reporting the humidity level...

but...

how does the air temp in the house FEEL?

at 72F, are you comfortable? or do you feel clammy? if you FEEL comfortable at 72, the humidity readings the contractor is showing you is probably correct.

if you FEEL UNcomfortable, then the thermostat is likely correct...
    We keep the home at 74F for the most part, except we do drop it down to 72F at night. The house feels humid, interior doors squeak and we're starting to see some issues with doors rubbing against the frame. It is a new house, so that could be due to settling, but we definitely didn't see those issues until summer.

Post Likes
    So it would seems a sportsmanlike gesture for him to supply you with a list of those houses and the completely happy and satisfied customers living in them - wouldn't it?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Exactly my thought. The ManualJ he sent over was dated two days prior to me receiving it - not a year ago like I would have expected.

His comment back to me, "I know your house plan like the back of my hand, done it hundreds of times in every scenario, and humidity, over sized or under sized equipment is never an issue." That tells me he puts the same system in each of the floorplans, regardless of the differences in each home.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

8. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    So it would seems a sportsmanlike gesture for him to supply you with a list of those houses and the completely happy and satisfied customers living in them - wouldn't it?

PHM
    -------
    Great Answer....and if he is standing by his load calculation and his equipment selection they are admitting to oversize

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Great Answer....and if he is standing by his load calculation and his equipment selection they are admitting to oversize
    Since he isn't even willing to even discuss the paperwork, I suspect he isn't willing to provide anything else to me.

He'll use his tech's data to say he is right and I am wrong. I'll have zero other recourse against this guy.

My next step I suppose is to contact another professional in the area to have the necessary tests ran to prove the system is over-sized.

Post Likes
    Update

First quote is back from a local HVAC company. Heat load calculates to a 3.58 ton system being necessary, so they are recommending a 3.5 ton single stage or 4 ton dual stage system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Update

First quote is back from a local HVAC company. Heat load calculates to a 3.58 ton system being necessary, so they are recommending a 3.5 ton single stage or 4 ton dual stage system.
    Can you post the calculation

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Can you post the calculation
    Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Looking at that load calc I wonder if this guy fudged the numbers. Some things that pop out to me is R 19 insulation in the attic on a new home, normally it's at least an R-38. Second it shows 12 people at 530 BTU /person. I normally figure 2 for the master bedroom and 1 for each other bedroom and only 230 btu /person unless it's a gym or something. You have over half a ton just in people.

15. Likes lkapigian, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Your 1% Design is 93, they used 95 they have 12 people which means you have an 11 bedroom house..1 Person per bedroom PLUS ! ( 2 in the master) that in itself Is killing you
    230 Sensible 200 Latent Per Person...Also assuming you have a wooden subfloor, not slab--This is not an ACCA Man J

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast