Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    In harvest when the ice drops does it sound like

Bring the rain
    or
    The price is right plinko game?
    Should be bring the rain right? Haha never heard that analogy. I call it sounding like a gatlin gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The 901 is a water assist harvest. If you have poor flow than it will freeze up.
    Have you tried extending the harvest time? I had one that froze all the time with factory settings. Changed it to 180seconds and it hasn't froze up since.
    If your thermistor was causing it you would banging the default time on harvest every time. There would be no deviation. Look at your jumpers and that will tell you the amount of time in seconds of the defrost timer. The thermistor just gets you to the time.
    Also, do you get that last little bit of drop after the shift to freeze, or is it a lot?

A pat on the back is nothing more then topical anesthesia for a knife.

3. Likes Blake79 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did you check float switch for sticking or hot gas cycle during harvest? Generally when I ran into these "ghost" freeze ups it was due to bin control issue or water issue because Hoshizaki machines rely heavily on water flow during harvest. Check pump water tube hookups. Believe it or not I have seen them hooked up backwards straight out of the box.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r22coolguy View Post
    The 901 is a water assist harvest. If you have poor flow than it will freeze up.
    Have you tried extending the harvest time? I had one that froze all the time with factory settings. Changed it to 180seconds and it hasn't froze up since.
    If your thermistor was causing it you would banging the default time on harvest every time. There would be no deviation. Look at your jumpers and that will tell you the amount of time in seconds of the defrost timer. The thermistor just gets you to the time.
    Also, do you get that last little bit of drop after the shift to freeze, or is it a lot?

X2 on extending harvest

Post Likes
    Update..I would like to thank everyone for their input. You guys are awesome.

Went there today, still froze from last night go figure. Thawed and ran to test.
    While it was running i did install checks. Unit is level, water line is 5/8.

I watched unit. 5 mins into freeze pressures exactly matched the chart.
    At this point I'm ruling out refrigeration as an issue.
    Thermistor ohmed out good.
    I have YET to see a bad thermistor on a hoshi.

Now...it has a filter system on it. A 3M brand HF40s.
    Here's where i start seeing something I didnt catch before. Static water pressure is 35. The restaurant has a pressure regulator on the whole incoming water line. Stamped on it said 50psi.
    Well...35 aint 50 lol. So i raised it to 65.
    We have pretty high water pressure here in omaha anyway.
    Ok...i after reading through the install manual it states that 900 and above units need 3gpm flow from the incoming water.
    Well...the HF40S is only rated at 2.1gpm. The owner gladly changed it to an HF60S which is rated at 3.6gpm.

I did one final test. Emptied the trough. Should refill in 60-90 seconds which it did NOT!!!!
    I condemned the water inlet valve for not opening all the way.
    This unit needs the 3U0111-04 or something like that.
    All i had was an 03 so i threw that in..
    BAM....much much much better, fills the trough AND OVERFLOWS.

Now iceman...thank thank THANK YOU for that analogy. Before with the smaller filter and old inlet during harvest sounded like Plinko.
    Now...with higher pressure (50 while allowing water in)
    It sounds like a thunderstorm and ice flies off the plate.

BOOM!!!! GUYS That has to be it.
    Im ordering the correct inlet valve and also Im going to see what hoshi thinks about the plate being damaged again.

The key that led me to this was....customer said it has NEVER EVER worked right since they opened.
    I hope and think I nailed this one
    What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7. Likes Mike19, icemeister, trippintl0 liked this post.
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    The 04 is smaller than the 03 so it will be in better shape after you get the right valve in there.

Good luck with Hoshi and the evap

It's a shame they aren't tougher

Post Likes
    The 04 is smaller than the 03 so it will be in better shape after you get the right valve in there.

Good luck with Hoshi and the evap

It's a shame they aren't tougher
    What valves should i be carrying?
    Do you or anyone have literature on that silly J board thats in there?

I cantfind anything

Post Likes
    I don't have any. They used to be rebuildable
    They switched to a non serviceable one that is prone to fail and is just crappy.
    If I was going to be carrying one I'd just get the biggest one

Post Likes
    First I heard of the board and I go to hoshi school every year

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    What valves should i be carrying?
    Do you or anyone have literature on that silly J board thats in there?

I cantfind anything

I carry an 033, 032, and 030. That takes me from a 500 to a 1600. The new ones use a crappy water valve that reduces the flow. As a general rule of thumb you should overflow the sump the last minute or so of the defrost. If you're not than there isn't enough water. The newer units, which include the 901 use a plastic water valve as opposed to the J248 style valves. As a matter of fact, in a pinch you can use an 030 in anything from 1600 down, but it will use a lot of water on the smaller machines. That 3U0111-04 or a J248-072 is used in several machines from a Km-461 to a 901. That should tell you something. An 032, which is a 3U0111-02 will work fine in a 901. You have to be careful because has change the water pipe from hose bib to 3/4"NPT, or the other way around, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Post Likes
    I don't have any. They used to be rebuildable
    They switched to a non serviceable one that is prone to fail and is just crappy.
    If I was going to be carrying one I'd just get the biggest one
    It's a shame that they took the serviceability out of that valve. I think you said it early, itsiceman, how Hoshi is tough when it comes to warranty. So I say good lucky you Scott with that evap. Especially with it being a water issue from the start.

Post Likes
    I just looked today and they have been putting the next larger size valve (03) in the 901 for a while now.

Post Likes
    There was a time when the original owner oversaw everything and testing was out of this world. If a part failed even once they scraped it and went to a different seller. Now, they are more interested in that energy star, California compliant crap and it's killing them. Smaller compressors, water assisted harvest, smaller water usage is more important that building it damn near indestructible

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast