Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier or Amana furnace coils???

Post Likes
    Sometimes I think I should just shoot myself in the head lol. No, I ask if it'll go then listened and hoped the guy knows his stuff to advises me properly. But I've been taken more then a time or two, so I do obtain 3 opinions/quotes when I get a furnace and/or AC installed. I did think since you guys were so free with your advice that I'd slip the furnace in there to find out if I was getting the right advice from this guy .. thinking about it, I did say I have this AC unit that I need connected to my furnace, but did ask if it would go, so I was going to switch-out an old Lennox 13 SEER for this one .. reason being that my upstairs could maintain it's cool easier, which I thought I learned the hard way on my last home.

My previous home, the furnace wasn't working the moment I walked into the home on closing, so had to get emergency help which cost me close to $380 .. then he said he'd have to return for a proper cleaning .. while cleaning my furnace that he said hadn't been cleaned for probably the full 9yrs (age of home and furnace) so he said he'd have to run 60 gallons of water from outside intake down through furnace to clean it out, and I saw the water go down the clean furance drain .. but I had never heard of anyone doing that, but he was very insistent that he had to do this, so I allowed him. Afterward, I started calling friends and they talked to friends and HVAC guys and they came by to me to say this guy is trying to take your furnace down, give it 2-4 months and it'll break and you'll have to replace it. Sure enough it broke that fall (3 months later) so I had 4 quotes for new furnaces: local Lennox dealer, Costco for Lennox, MapleAir for Carrier, and another local Carrier dealer .. didn't go near that furnace guy that flooded my furnace .. I finally went with MapleAir for he offered the best price and combination, so along with government rebate of $1-2K, I got my Infinity set for $7.4K with financing that I could pay off anytime without penalty so the following month I paid it off. I was advised to get the Carrier combo so my upstairs would maintain the cool easily with that set, so here I thought I'd do it here with Carrier Lennox combo, but furnace is too low-end, requires a Carrier equal to Infinity 96.

Anyway, guess I'll be keeping Carrier for next home, prob buy one in 3 yr .. I'll look for one that needs new furnace prob 12-20yrs old ren-down, so i can bring it up to my standards for my retirement bungalow .. then I'll get that Carrier installed, and cross my finger it works for a few years before I kick the bucket.

Thanks for advice, I appreciate it even though it's not what I was hoping to hear.

Post Likes
    Oh, the retirement bungalow would have to be at least 1680-2000 sq ft correct for this AC unit?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie13 View Post
    Oh, the retirement bungalow would have to be at least 1680-2000 sq ft correct for this AC unit?
    Still putting the cart before the horse......

What kind of windows are you putting in your retirement home? How much insulation? Going to use foam or foam block construction or 2x6 or 2x4 walls-fiberglass? You going to airseal all the penetrations? How many fireplaces is it going to have?

Equipment selection, size and ducting is all custom work and calculations.....2 ton might work-but to build a house based upon an old AC is insane.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie13 View Post
    Oh, the retirement bungalow.
    Mr. Bill has retirement bungalow, don't need any a/c though.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

5. Likes bobboan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I said that I'd buy a 12-20yr old run down long/extended bungalow then I'd bring it up to my standards, which are high and up to current codes, all with city building permits as usual. That means new roof, windows, furnace and my AC. The home inspection are very thorough so always states most of what's wrong with home along with insulation specs, electrical issues etc. so that I can bring them up to code standard. This is what I've done to all previous home to flip them. I always walk away from homes that have had extensive renovations especially if these don't look as if they were done with permits, those homes scare me. Just because I don't know much about furnaces and AC doesn't mean I don't know something about renovating homes to bring them up to current code standards.
    I save money by installing most things myself: roof, windows, re-structuring home (never touch main beams, but move others whenever necessary then apply double bulkheads and re-enforcement beams), all electrical wiring (new and/or rewiring to correct issues then Master electrician review my work then add into panel and sign off on permit), install and/or take out tile floors, upgrade bathrooms, build a garage extension or separate structure, re-insulate attic, finish basement and/or garage with adding insulation, electrical, drywall, plaster and paint. I'm a Jill of all trades but Master of none, however, I've been doing it since age 14 with my parents, and have helped friends with home issues for years for free. All my work is always pre-inspected, permit plans approved and finished work inspected by city inspectors, this sells my homes easily and quickly.
    I also build decks by permit too and do my own basic landscaping which including a pond once. I only have carpeting installed, hardwood (because I like double borders with 45 degree angle patterns), furnace and ACs, and sometimes landscaping for me.

Post Likes
    A few pics of deck designs I created for permit along with final photo of finished deck that I built in 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes

Carrier or Amana furnace coils???

My X brother in law "that I consider more like a brother" flips homes in Hawaii been doing it for years. He has done really well for himself over yonder, and Mr. Bill has a place to stay when he visits. Flipping homes, if your in the right area can be very lucrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Unfortunately I don't make as much as some others for I always renovate everything up to current codes, so when you move into my home (I live there while renovating it so don't pay extra taxes on the profit I make either) you really don't have to do anything for 10 years .. many flippers do not bring a home up to my standards in modern design or even city permit standards, so they make more money, but I can sleep better without passing on any problems.

I just can't sell someone a problem even with cars .. I bring my car up to perfect condition, safety it then sell it .. usually I've bought a new one close to the end of December so their year end, arrange finances then payoff loan when I sell old one a few months later .. one can obtain the best price on a 2-3 year old vehicle with low mileage at dealership year ends.

Post Likes
    Your parents taught you well, it's awesome you took advantage of what they taught you. None of my kids or grandkids are interested in my business, maybe on my death bed I can sell my phone number for enough to pay for my funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mr. Bill .. Yes, my parents taught me a thing or three, their best sayings:

1. One can only guide a child to hopefully keep him/her on the solid path of life, but it's their path so they'll choose what they'll do in life .. and it's when one wonders off the path that they learn sometimes the hardest yet best lessons

2. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

3. 8 out of 10 people are very nice, the other 2 our of 10 you don't turn your back on and keep out of your life; 1 will hurt you because they're in a bad mood or envious so will take advantage of your trusting nature for profit; and 1 because they crazy in the head

4. If it's too hot in the kitchen then leave, but remember the door only swings one way, so don't let it hit you in the behind on the way out .. (I've had a few boy friends that I was dating that only realized what they had after they through it away (shame on them) then tried to return, but I never gave a second chance (or it would have been shame on me).

FYI, I've 4 daughters (33 (sales/marketing rep making 1+mil deals), 30 (cop), 30 (court house traffic admin) had identical twins in the middle, and 4 grand children (3 girls 4.5, 4, 1, and 1 boy 4 months) .. the 3 oldest have married men who with them flip homes,so good for them; and my youngest is 23 and has no interest so followed in my foot steps for work into graphic art and marketing (my previous work) .. for the past 15yrs I've designed website and applications, and product software (for car, frac fleet units etc.) .. and I'm very proud of each of my girls no matter what they do professionally or privately .. I'm just glad they're happy and healthy.

12. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in