Post Likes

Going from Air Handler to Gas Furnace 220 to 110 grounding question

Hi,
    Im a newer tech and Im going from a 220 aux heat air handler heat pump setup to a gas furnace. The basement is all finished and I was going to reuse the existing 220 wiring. I opened the box up and there are only 2 wires in there and not a ground wire. Im assuming they used the conduit as the ground?

What I was thinking is just going to the main panel and making one of those thick wires in the picture connect to a 15 amp breaker and the other to the neutral bar. Then connecting a ground wire to that junction box and assume the conduit is a ground? What is the best way to connect 14 guage wire to those big copper wires? Just huge wire nuts?

This is a million dollar home with 3 floors and 3 separate sets of ductwork and 3 separate heatpumps built in 1996. Im converting to gas.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Joe220 Box.jpg

Post Likes
    Maybe better left to a Licensed Electrian. Legally you probably have no business going into a Main Distribution Center.

Permits required?

Post Likes
    Yes this is in a township where you dont need to be licensed to do work in a breaker panel in residential. Ive updated main panels and just pull the electrical permit and do the work and they come inspect and put a green sticker on it and the electrical company turns the power back on.

In Ohio we dont even need a license nor do they offer one for residential HVAC.

So any suggestions to doing this properly? I want to learn and do things the right way.

Thanks,
    Joe

Post Likes
    Never heard of not having to be licensed...maybe not having to pull permits but this thread smells like it has a hint of diy in it.

Post Likes
    And btw I'm pretty sure you can't use the conduit as a ground anymore and I doubt it would be grandfathered in but best left to Ohio professionals I guess.