+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WHY IS IT ALWAYS GOOMAN ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Ok, moving on, I haven't ordered the TXV's as of yet. Typically I use the Sporlan balance port Q valves. Yes, No, Maybe ?
    Good choice. They tend to provide better control over a wider range than the standard valve. They're about the same price as the Q valve too, aren't they?

I had Q-Kit since shortly after they came out back in the 90's. The BQ's came out later on. I never did upgrade to the BQ-Kit because my supply hose was so slow to build their stock of BQ parts.

Anyway, i never had issues ithe the Q's, but if the cost and availability were the same I'd opt for the BQ.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys for your input. Always appreciated.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=icemeister;23293731]You guys have it figured out correctly. The major issue you may find with such installations is the installer didn't "get it" and failed to do even the minimal necessary mods to the unit, like a start cap & relay, dual pressure control and a receiver.

How would I "size" the start cap and relay for something like this? Are you talking about the cycle count per day from the high temp to medium temp setup?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I haven't plotted it out either, but with a rough interpolation I estimate around 11.2°F TD or 23.8°F evap temp for 37,740 Btuh based on the 90°F ambient condensing unit capacity tables.

Any chance you have some literature available that explains this? A link perhaps

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=VanMan812;23307031]
    You guys have it figured out correctly. The major issue you may find with such installations is the installer didn't "get it" and failed to do even the minimal necessary mods to the unit, like a start cap & relay, dual pressure control and a receiver.

How would I "size" the start cap and relay for something like this? Are you talking about the cycle count per day from the high temp to medium temp setup?
    If it's a Copeland, just look it up the Electrical Handbook for what relay and cap your compressor model calls for. Nothing more involved than that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    Any chance you have some literature available that explains this? A link perhaps
    Here's a past thread where I explained about the system balance point:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....orator-TD-help

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=icemeister;23307111]
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post

If it's a Copeland, just look it up the Electrical Handbook for what relay and cap your compressor model calls for. Nothing more involved than that.
    So a modification to the existing start package is not necessary? I ask because I service a bar with a margarita machine that is remoted to a condensing unit on the roof that is, I believe but have never confirmed, way over sized. It cycles on and off CONSTANTLY. It goes through start relays and capacitors like candy. When you talked about modifying that high temp unit to be used in the medium temp application you had mention considering the start relay and cap as a necessary minimal mod. Could undo something about my current situation? I don't have any specs on the unit, I haven't had a service call on it in a while. This thread just made me think of it.

Post Likes
    But can the Genie lift run to the parts store for you or get you're lunch

9. Likes JohninJoliet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    [QUOTE=VanMan812;23307291]

So a modification to the existing start package is not necessary? I ask because I service a bar with a margarita machine that is remoted to a condensing unit on the roof that is, I believe but have never confirmed, way over sized. It cycles on and off CONSTANTLY. It goes through start relays and capacitors like candy. When you talked about modifying that high temp unit to be used in the medium temp application you had mention considering the start relay and cap as a necessary minimal mod. Could undo something about my current situation? I don't have any specs on the unit, I haven't had a service call on it in a while. This thread just made me think of it.
    Install an EPR valve on the unit to reduce it's capacity. You'll probably need to set it to about 0 degrees SST.

The starting components are required for the A/C condensing unit to reliably work as a pump down unit. If it came with them already, then there's no need to add them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

11. Likes JohninJoliet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    [QUOTE=VanMan812;23307291]

Oh! Also; does your start capacitor have a bleed resistor across the terminals? If not - install one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They could have at least squared it up with the pad.....on a side note looks like stick copper so no option of a gradual bend either huh

Post Likes
    Anything built by man, can be rebuilt by a good man. However, it is not always a good man who works on a Goodman.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    In my opinion, portions of this thread hold really good basic refrigeration knowledge and ought to be copied to the education forum. A couple of real world issues presented with logical Q&A progression!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in