Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    If you're willing to collect a little simple easy data...some clues may be revealed.

This is a check to see how the system is performing in respect to its
    'Nominal Rated Btuh' you need at least the following numbers:

Performance Data Collection – Best Time to collect data is Late afternoon around 4:30 pm, when attic is HOT; also when outdoor temps are around 85; 95; 100F etc.

*All you need is a good air-probe thermometer (digital reading in tenths preferable) & and indoor
    Humidity Gauge Wal-Mart has a good digital humidity gauge... everyone needs one! Around $8.00

That data form is only a partial check so a contractor can be called, & should NEVER-EVER be used to try to fix something, only technician's have the high priced necessary test instruments to check superheat & sub cooling & the MFD of capacitors, and so on; you are apt to cause a lot of
    serious damage to the system because everything has to be done just RIGHT...!

1) Helpful; Tonnage & SEER ___________ of Unit & outdoor condenser model number: __________________
    2)
    TXV or, orifice metering device? _______. Only if U know…
    3)
    Outdoor condenser’s discharge-air-temperature ______F
    Subtract outdoor air temperature: _______ - from cond. air _______
    =
    Condenser Air-Temp-Split ______F
    4) Need the ‘Indoor’ percent of relative humidity - away from Supply-Air outlets
    ______

5) Indoor Return-Air Temperature ______ F Subtract Indoor Supply-Air Temperature ____ F Indoor temperature-split _____F

Fill-in the above information for troubleshooting & performance analysis.

A high indoor split with low outdoor condenser split = LOW indoor airflow (common problems) or dirty blower wheel & evaporator coil.

Low indoor split very-high outdoor split = drawing Hot Humid air from the attic or outside source into return-air duct to evap-coil.

At 50% indoor RH the indoor temp-drop should be around 18 to 20F.
    Outdoor condenser split varies some according to the SEER of the mcondenser; higher SEER lower split. It is important to check it...!

These simple skills will help to protect the compressor from early costly failure & protect you from many huge & needless future high dollar costs!
    If you're lacking in knowledge you cannot protect yourself from a poor performing HVAC system or incompetent service...

Is the unit properly sized: http://www.loadcalc.net/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by malrats View Post
    When I refer to cycling on and off, I'm talking about the very loud sound coming from the ducts and out of the vents. I can hear it for awhile, but then it'll just get completely silent. And when it does get silent, the temperature still hasn't come close to reaching the 72 degrees it's set at.

Everyone seems to say that it's never going to get any more than 20 degrees cooler inside than outside; is that true? Though on all of these days, the highest temperature has been about 92 and it still hasn't gone down to 72.

Regarding having a reputable company come out and do their thing, that's certainly something that I'll forward to my parents. Though the unfortunate truth here is that if it's going to cost any amount of money, he's not going to do it. At best he'll call American Home Shield again and they'll send the same company out again.
    The below is from another thread, a tech was working on a problem unit. Now has it cooling the house 33 degrees cooler then outside.

Just came back from unit and got new numbers . 72 low 54 temp 278 high 114 temp 11 sh 11.5 sc . Supply 60 return 75. Amps 9.4/9.8. Od db 108 didnt get wb my psychrometer is not working right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

3. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you for the advice, everyone.

I went and told my mom and read some of what was posted to her and unfortunately her response was, "Yeah, he's never gonna go for that." (Referring to the fact that it'll cost money)

I'll never understand being a homeowner and not wanting to protect your investments by preventing any kind of catastrophic failures before they happen. But hey, it's not my house.

In the meantime I'll bug them to at least get the insurance contractor out here again.

5. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by malrats View Post
    Thank you for the advice, everyone.

I went and told my mom and read some of what was posted to her and unfortunately her response was, "Yeah, he's never gonna go for that." (Referring to the fact that it'll cost money)

I'll never understand being a homeowner and not wanting to protect your investments by preventing any kind of catastrophic failures before they happen. But hey, it's not my house.

In the meantime I'll bug them to at least get the insurance contractor out here again.
    If your mom has a cooking thermometer you can stick that in the supply grilles & see what it's reading.

We can control fire & ice.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrash View Post
    If your mom has a cooking thermometer you can stick that in the supply grilles & see what it's reading.

I'll look for one!

Post Likes
    Check the supply against the return temperature. Why is the room locked?? Are they renting?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrash View Post
    Check the supply against the return temperature. Why is the room locked?? Are they renting?

It's my younger brother's room who's away at college. It's got a keypad lock on it. My family is weird.

10. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Call him & get the number. Tell him you've got to check the A/C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12