Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Humid upstairs won't get cool and HVAC company is saying nothing is wrong! (NJ)

Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting and I hope I can ask the right questions and finally find some answers to some AC questions that have been plaguing me for years.

My family and I (parents and two younger brothers) recently moved into this house in October. It's our first summer in this home, coming from a MUCH larger home that had its own massive share of air conditioning issues (and $1000+/month electric bills). At first it seemed like it was going to be great, but it's turning out to be a nightmare.

The house is only a few years old, to the point where the AC compressors and blowers are all still under warranty. My old man has some thing called American Home Shield where they send out some contractor to work on whatever issue and he pays a deductible. The problem is that they've come out 4-5 times now and they just keep saying nothing is wrong.

The house is zoned as follows: Downstairs thermostat is for the first floor and the finished basement, both floors have vents and all equipment for it is in the basement. The downstairs doesn't seem to have any issue getting cool. If you set it to 68, it'll go down to 68.

The upstairs thermostat is in the master bedroom, the blower is in the attic above the hallway, and then the compressor is on the side of the house right next to the first floor compressor.

Coolant levels are fine, the company says there's no leak and that the air that's blowing is cold, and then they leave without doing anything. If you set the upstairs to 72 (or 68 or 65 or anything) when it's 78 in the house, the lowest it'll go down to is 76, if we're lucky, and it still keeps turning on and off as if it's done its job.

Would anyone happen to have any thoughts on what's going on here? My friend/neighbor has one unit for her entire house (similar home to ours) and she keeps it on 67 degrees all the time and her house is always perfectly freezing cold. AND she said she only ends up paying like $60/month for it. In the meantime we have solar panels on our roof and two compressors and the house is always humid as hell and broiling hot.

I'd really, really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. My mom wants me to get some solid facts to give her so she can sit down with the old man and give him a "here's the deal..." kind of presentation.

I hope I used all of the correct terminology and at least have a basic enough of an understanding of all of this to have made some sense! :'D

Post Likes
    Well, I don't know what the contractor thought was ok if your unit is cycling on & off without reaching the desired setpoint. Are you sure it's the upstairs unit that is cycling on & off?? Not the downstairs unit?? A number of different things could be the issue. Most of which a trained professional needs to look at. A load calculation should be done & the unit checked over from top to bottom. If a thermostat does not satisfy, (meaning it's reached it's setpoint) the unit should continue to run. I would suggest biting the bullet, calling a reputable service company who can perform a load calculation & check out all of the system, from the attic to the outdoors. Unfortunately these really aren't things you can do on your own. It's going to cost money, but then you can fight it out with the insurance company if something is amiss.

We can control fire & ice.....

Post Likes
    She'll probably need to call out a company that isn't working for the home warranty company. So they will spend more then15 minutes there.

Almost sounds like it is shutting off on a safety.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

4. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What are are the thermostat's set temperature and actual temperature when it's "turning on and off as if it's done it's job?"

Agree with above posters - you'll likely not get good results with warranty contractors. Maybe call them and tell them you are getting your own as theirs are getting the job done, and see how much they might contribute.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    She'll probably need to call out a company that isn't working for the home warranty company. So they will spend more then15 minutes there.

Almost sounds like it is shutting off on a safety.
    That's what I was thinking, like high head.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrash View Post
    Are you sure it's the upstairs unit that is cycling on & off?? Not the downstairs unit??
    When I refer to cycling on and off, I'm talking about the very loud sound coming from the ducts and out of the vents. I can hear it for awhile, but then it'll just get completely silent. And when it does get silent, the temperature still hasn't come close to reaching the 72 degrees it's set at.

Everyone seems to say that it's never going to get any more than 20 degrees cooler inside than outside; is that true? Though on all of these days, the highest temperature has been about 92 and it still hasn't gone down to 72.

Regarding having a reputable company come out and do their thing, that's certainly something that I'll forward to my parents. Though the unfortunate truth here is that if it's going to cost any amount of money, he's not going to do it. At best he'll call American Home Shield again and they'll send the same company out again.

Post Likes
    More like a wet switch under the attic AH, wired to kill all instead of just the condenser.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

9. Likes hedrash, beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Then nothing's going to get fixed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    What are are the thermostat's set temperature and actual temperature when it's "turning on and off as if it's done it's job?"

Agree with above posters - you'll likely not get good results with warranty contractors. Maybe call them and tell them you are getting your own as theirs are getting the job done, and see how much they might contribute.
    When I witnessed it today, it was set to 72 (as it generally is, I'm not allowed to set it any lower) and was 76 inside the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    More like a wet switch under the attic AH, wired to kill all instead of just the condenser.
    Good call.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by malrats View Post
    When I witnessed it today, it was set to 72 (as it generally is, I'm not allowed to set it any lower) and was 76 inside the house.
    Can you go into the attic & see if there's an emergency drain pan under the unit that's wet or full of water?? Like hurtinhvac said??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrash View Post
    Can you go into the attic & see if there's an emergency drain pan under the unit that's wet or full of water?? Like hurtinhvac said??

It's in a locked room that I don't have access to, though I'll see if someone can do it when the weekend comes and that room is opened. The HVAC company did go up there each time though and never mentioned anything, not that I've ever trusted them yet.

15. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by malrats View Post
    It's in a locked room that I don't have access to, though I'll see if someone can do it when the weekend comes and that room is opened. The HVAC company did go up there each time though and never mentioned anything, not that I've ever trusted them yet.
    Well, I suggest being a pest & standing over his shoulder. Watch everything he does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast