+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Condenser Fan Motor Over Heating

Post Likes

Condenser Fan Motor Over Heating

Had a call today bad condenser fan motor.
    Old Motor was AO Smith 1/3 1075 rated for 1.6A
    Replaced with a Diversitech multi tap motor - wired for 1/3 hp.
    About 3 hours later get a call unit not cooling, return to find the motor is overheating and cutting off
    Waited for motor to cool down and restarted unit, amp draw was 2.8-3A. Motor Name Plate Rated amps is 2.8
    Checked voltage going to motor - 238V.
    Coil is clean, fan blade in proper position, proper rotation, and moving adequate air.
    I have used the Diversitech motors for some time and never had any issues, but I am stumped.
    Whats killing the motor?

Post Likes
    Was is the make/model of condenser?

Post Likes
    What was the amp. draw when you first replaced the motor with all panels on? If it was 2.8 and it's rated for 2.8/3 that alone should have gave you pause. Maybe the motor got damaged. Even thou they are protected in a box seen where they fell on the shaft. New correct size capacitor. All your high voltage terminals tight. Does the motor hook directly to the contactor or somewhere else first. Is old motor an open motor, is the new one a closed motor. OEM fan blade

Post Likes
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3614
Size:  122.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3671
Size:  95.9 KB

Post Likes
    Ok just got to throw this out there, did the old blade pitch look like the pitch of a 1075?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Not sure why the pic turned sideways

Post Likes
    Tag shows 1.3amp motor originally. Maybe that motor you changed was wrong also. My first thing would be capacitor and make sure it measures correctly. Then like Mr Bill said, the fan blade. Maybe the original motor was 825 rpm. I think lennox is that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    What was the amp. draw when you first replaced the motor with all panels on? If it was 2.8 and it's rated for 2.8/3 that alone should have gave you pause. Maybe the motor got damaged. Even thou they are protected in a box seen where they fell on the shaft. New correct size capacitor. All your high voltage terminals tight. Does the motor hook directly to the contactor or somewhere else first. Is old motor an open motor, is the new one a closed motor. OEM fan blade
    Didn't check amps on new motor. Until I returned the second time. Checked all connections and they where secured tightly. Thought ok maybe bad motor out of the box. Replaced motor. After about 10 minutes it started heating up as well. Motor is wired through control board relay on one leg and the other leg is wired to contactor. Moved leg from control board directly to contactor same results. New capacitor was installed with first motor. Both motors are closed type. Amp draw can only be checked with service door open. Best I can tell it is OEM blade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy783 View Post
    Tag shows 1.3amp motor originally. Maybe that motor you changed was wrong also. My first thing would be capacitor and make sure it measures correctly. Then like Mr Bill said, the fan blade. Maybe the original motor was 825 rpm. I think lennox is that way.

See photo in post #4 of old motor. 1/3 1075. And yes new capacitor installed but double checked on second trip and it was spot on. I have serviced this unit for at least the last 5 years and the blade has never been changed. Not saying it is not the wrong blade, but I know it has been working. I guess I need to see if I can cross reference the current blade with the OEM blade.

Post Likes

Condenser Fan Motor Over Heating

What's weird is the motor that was in there says 1.6 amps and the tag on the unit says 1.3 on the motor.

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

12. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDawg605 View Post
    Had a call today bad condenser fan motor.
    Old Motor was AO Smith 1/3 1075 rated for 1.6A
    Replaced with a Diversitech multi tap motor - wired for 1/3 hp.
    About 3 hours later get a call unit not cooling, return to find the motor is overheating and cutting off
    Waited for motor to cool down and restarted unit, amp draw was 2.8-3A. Motor Name Plate Rated amps is 2.8
    Checked voltage going to motor - 238V.
    Coil is clean, fan blade in proper position, proper rotation, and moving adequate air.
    I have used the Diversitech motors for some time and never had any issues, but I am stumped.
    Whats killing the motor?
    The original was probably a 1/6 or 1/5 HP, and the 1/3 that you used is oversized and overheating.

14. Likes ACFIXR liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    What's weird is the motor that was in there says 1.6 amps and the tag on the unit says 1.3 on the motor.

Yes Mr Bill I seen that also. Leaves open the posibility that the person servicing the unit prior to our company may have changed it out. Just puzzling why it has worked for the last 5 years or so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    The original was probably a 1/6 or 1/5 HP, and the 1/3 that you used is oversized and overheating.

Name plate on unit calls for 1/3 hp. See photo in post #4

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDawg605 View Post
    Name plate on unit calls for 1/3 hp. See photo in post #4
    Ok, well I've been through this with a Lennox unit before. Order the oem motor and save yourself some trouble.

Post Likes
    Don't you have a straight one tap good new/used 1/3 HP motor reversible rotation kicking around ( like the one you changed out ) instead of the multi tap wired for 1/3HP motor to try

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    Warning!!!!!!!! Hypothetical situation!!!!! You say (hvacmedic) that IF an original motor had been 1/6 hp but a 1/3 was now installed, that it may over heat. Would that be because of possibly not enough airflow over the motor now?

Post Likes
    Tag says 1/3 hp I just don't think it likes that multi tap motor.

Post Likes
    Was blade height on the universal motor the same as with the original motor? If blade height is not correct it can overamp the motor. Seen more than a few times where original motor was shorter than a universal causing blade to be to low. Had to order factory replacements for these.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

22. Likes Snaple4, hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My guess is that the motor he pulled was the original, I think Lennox/Concord uses the AO Smith.

24. Likes DeputyDawg605 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimerian View Post
    Was blade height on the universal motor the same as with the original motor? If blade height is not correct it can overamp the motor. Seen more than a few times where original motor was shorter than a universal causing blade to be to low. Had to order factory replacements for these.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    I second this. The multitap is bigger. You can see on the picture the blade was right next to the old motor. My guess is the blade position is the issue. I know you can't do it on a concord but for the next time take a look at these pictures to help in these situations.

Name:  20160627_164924.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  130.5 KBName:  20160627_164941.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  100.1 KB

26. Likes DeputyDawg605 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in