+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drought effect on geo thermal

Post Likes

Drought effect on geo thermal

I have not done any geothermal but my first step in investigating it is about heat transfer in the soil.
    California has been experiencing drought and I've noticed the ground is very dry.
    Does the moisture content of the ground have a major effect on the heat transfer of the circulating water?

Post Likes
    Depends on what you consider major, but you should be able to look at the product data for the brand you are considering and then look at different soil types to answer your question.

Bobby
    Last edited by BobbyBJr; 08-04-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajim View Post
    Does the moisture content of the ground have a major effect on the heat transfer of the circulating water?
    YES.
    A 4 ton ground loop in moist soil could be 1/2 the size of a 4 ton loop in bone dry soil. The moisture in the soil will greatly effect the radius of heat transfer around each tube in the ground. Think of dry soil as insulation, and wet soil as nice shiny aluminum fins that like to transfer even minute temperatures differences.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in