Post Likes

Hmm Existing Condensate plumbing looks wrong - secondary drain pan?

Hi... I'd like to get some opinions on the existing condensate plumbing and lack of a secondary drain pan under the evaporator plenum:

What is the lower 3/4" PVC line tied into inside the plenum? A drain pan inside the plenum?

Is that a cap on the port next to the primary port? Does this port need to be connected to anything?

I plan on having a large drain pan installed under the evaporator plenum. Should I have the lower secondary plumbing capped off and move to the new secondary drain pan?

Thanks!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    does the lowest one actually thread into the plenum corner or a factory fitting in the coils case? is this located in an attic? of a house?I would get a drain pan installed a.s.a.p. with a drain switch. it looks like there is nothing protecting an overflow do to blocked drain or anything to alarm you of a problem. the pic is hard to see, where does each drain go?

Post Likes
    I would need a closeup pic of the coil model number, or the installation manual page on draining. but the ? Connector appears to be the actual primary connection... Rheem/Ruud coils have a weird triple connection due to multiple mounting positions...

I also agree, that a backup pan under the coil ASAP is a good idea.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Isn't it listed in the manual 2 or 3' of straight duct before any bends or take-offs?

Post Likes

Smile

Wow... I learn something new everyday... this Aspen Mfg evaporator has a built in secondary drain pan under the primary drain pan... how smart is that. I'm going to put a Safe-T-Switch in Primary Line. I can use Safe-T- tool to clean out the primary drain line. And maybe add a Honeywell Water sensor alarm that has a long wire sensor I can stick in the hole next to the secondary pan outlet fitting. At least then if water starts to fill the secondary pan I will know.Name:  ScreenClip.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  74.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    Nice!

I agree, a safety switch is a good idea.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit