Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Compressor knock/banging on start up and shut down

Okay, I've read 11 pages and I have learned a thing or two! The reason I came to this post is because I have a friend that asked me to look at his system, a Rheem 13AJN60A1. This unit knocks and rattles every time it starts and stops, like described in the beginning of this post.
    Is this a Common thing on low end equipment? I.e. Builder grade Rheem & Ruud. I haven't heard such a loud knocking noise on residential equipment before and I don't want to over react and change out his compressor if it doesn't need to be.

Post Likes
    By the way most NM homes are slab on grade with the furnace and Evap coil in the middle of the house in a closet and Condenser outside on at ground level. This is the3rd summer now with this system and he told me it has cooled just fine the entire time.
    I found low sub cooling and a recommended adding more returns. As for the actual cooling it was good, just very noisy on makes that mechanical clanking sound on start and stop.

Post Likes
    Bang on start up & shut down seems to be a 'normal' thing on the lower end Units I've noticed.
    Especially 1's with no sound deadening and are basically,
    A big arse Metal Can. Even on a plastic/rubber pad still 'clank'. Cabinet Noise.
    Like some with the wire grill guard which rattle incessantly. Bryant comes to mind. WOuld pull the top and line the underside with foam tape along the outer edge where the cond coil 'rubbed' on it.
    Noise we were discussing is the wind down at Shut down mostly but as you read,it varies depending.
    No matter how long you have been doing this,
    Go back and reread the Basic's.You WILL Learn something.
    Why is it called,an Act of GOD when IT has Nothing to do with Him?
    Will of the Devil would be more appropriate IMO.Just Saying.
    PSALMS, 18 & 25.
    I am Tired of High Efficiency Propaganda.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NMhvactech View Post
    Is this a Common thing on low end equipment? I.e. Builder grade Rheem & Ruud. I haven't heard such a loud knocking noise on residential equipment before and I don't want to over react and change out his compressor if it doesn't need to be.
    Well blaming it on the equipment is not right, it's a component in the equipment that is making the noise, and that component is not made by Rheem or Ruud. It would be like blaming a flat tire on your car made by Good Year, on the car manufacture. By the way, it's all low end junk now days, when you can only get "if you're lucky" about 10 years out of a system now, when there are systems still running out there that are 30-35 years old, tell me it's not all low end junk.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Made this its own thread. Keeps the confusion down by not trying to solve a problem 2 different people are having.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Okay, I'm sorry for blaming a brand by name, but that's the band I'm looking at. So do low end Copeland scrolls nock on start up and shutdown.
    I know you don't like them but I almost only sale mid to high end. I would never sale the low end builds grade models. I also promote and sale Goodman/Amana and Lennox products.
    I repair a lot of Rheems and Carrier products.

Post Likes
    Do you guys recommend contacting Copeland regard their noisy compressor, because Rheem's customer service is pretty much non-existent. I don't want to replace the compressor for if it's normal and I also don't want to leave my friend high and dry if it fails after the warranty ends. The company he hired didn't even register the warranty for him or even go over the warranty paperwork with him. So he only has another year and a half left.
    Other than the noise the house is cooling and all of the numbers seem fine.

Post Likes
    You mentioned that you work on a lot of Rheems ,compare all those other Rheem/Carrier to this one.
    I've never heard of a "low end Copeland Scroll" ! The SAME Cope Scroll is in that Goodman/Carrier/Rheem and many other brands.

Post Likes
    Okay, leaving out the brand names of equipment and focusing on the part that is the issue, does anyone have a contact number to Copeland tech support?

Post Likes
    Possibly hard start kit needed if using txv coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The first thing I did was to measured the lra and then I added a 5-2-1. Which reduced the lra by 35%, but the compressor sounds the same. I think it's best if I can get ahold of Copeland. The unit is cooling, it's just noisy. I'm doing this to help a friend and I don't want them to be worried about it. At this point I think I'm more concerned or just curious!!!

Post Likes
    W. A. G. what your hearing / experiencing is due to the installation of the equipment and not the equipment it self.

but if you insist contact them:
    http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-US/pages/default.aspx

Post Likes
    Could be.
    We changed out an old 22 System to 410 and a 14 SEER Cond which,unfortunately,was outside the HO's Bedroom which Their Bed was against said wall.Yes,you got it...
    Lineset ran Up thru said wall and the HO was just nutso about this 'vibration' Now and Blah,Blah,Blah..
    Long story short.
    I chipped away the mortar in the brick wall Around the lineset so's to isolate It from the wall.
    Reason for a sleeve Today but this was an existing lineset from the 70's which was usable and 'what it was' until the problem arose.
    No matter how long you have been doing this,
    Go back and reread the Basic's.You WILL Learn something.
    Why is it called,an Act of GOD when IT has Nothing to do with Him?
    Will of the Devil would be more appropriate IMO.Just Saying.
    PSALMS, 18 & 25.
    I am Tired of High Efficiency Propaganda.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast