Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Hmm Humidity Control ? Run Time a little Short .

As a Few may remember - New system last Fall with Min. Testing on A/C - then this past Spring - something to the effect
    of a Review by Program Trane Rep . 4 Ton / 2 Stage with 100 % Variable Air Handler . . ( Haa on 100% )

OK after after all the Home Tightening with Basement Windows and Better Insulation R 48 or so - settled now .

We Completely -100% - Removed Carpet in Basement and went to 18" Ceramic Tile ..
    I will Add with a LOT of Prep and Special Breathable Water Proofing the Walls - Sealed the Tile and Grout Twice
    18" x 18" Tile seems to made a Different - as now - able to Hold 54% Humidity most of the Time ..
    with Us Shutting the System Down . ( Letting the Condensation Line & Coil do it's thing Drain )

A Lot of Details I Know - Please Bare with Me .

The Dehumidifier which would become Filled twice a Day , once every 12 Hours .. will Now Go 24 Hours 50 Pint Rated
    Even thou - We Turned it down to a Lower Number 50% Vs 60% Last Yr. ( Improvement ) .. OK

I have also Opened Up 2 Air Condition Vents in the basement just today to Go to a Higher Load on System ..
    Max the Up Stairs - Settings on Vents .

Also seeing there were 3 ( 16" x 20 " ) Grills on 1 of the Return Trunks - Removed Lowest one - Left the 1 at Ceiling
    & 1 Up Stairs same Return Trunk - Slightly Increasing Load on System again .

Rep Last Yr. was here 3 Hours at Least : I believe were Now at 300 CFM as He set it 4 Ton system .

Really Trying to obtain 48% - 52% - If I just let the System Run 100 % on it's Own the Stage 1 still drives Humidity Up
    to 64% on this Split system - in a Conditioned Space ..

Post Likes
    In Conclusion one is only left to Feel the only way to do this is Freeze Lock stage 2 ( Just about ) then Shorten it's Run Time so it doesn't Freeze
    so Stage 1 - is Really Cooling & Removing Moisture . Seeing there is No Real Control over the 100 Air Handler , as I could just Adjust the Flow down to 90% of stage 2 - then Running Stage 1 Longer - .. As it is set up now ( Only Stage 2 Pulls Moisture . )

Very Strange - Stage 1 should also be able to Pull Moisture ( NOT Thrown It back Into the Home ) ..
    This Leads one to Feel Motherboard & Stat - are - Not Matched !
    Lack of Extended Run Times as Program Stat are No Where - near 25 - 36 min.
    Stage 1 is 9 min. Where the F&^% is that Going should be able to Run stage 1 for 40 min. & Set Air Flow to 100 - 140 CFM in Order to Pull Real Moisture .
    Seeing Stage 1 is 50% Air Handle speed of 300 or 350 CFM - any Better STAT's Out there ?
    The Air Temp would most likely Match the Homes LOST or Heat Load ! ( I Guess ) any Ideas . .
    Picking Up - an airflow volume anemometer with Humidity Read Out - to - Log Data Airflow Volume Anemometer

Airflow Volume Anemometer

Post Likes
    Stage one removes less moisture then stage 2 on most 2 stage units. So they need real long run times. Sounds like your 1 ton over sized.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    I Here what Your saying ` \: - )

So there are No Real 100 % Variable Adjustments , but Tons of 100% Variable Air Handlers .. Really What Type of Fool Game is this ?

If I could Slow Down the Air enough - Stage 1 would Pull Moisture - It's just Isn't !

Example : Leaky Windows - I shut down Air @ 73 Degree's and 55 % Humidity it stays there for 4 Hrs. and During the Hottest Hellish Days
    Temperature goes back to 76 in 2.25 Hrs. , but Humidity is still 56% ( NOT 64% as Stage 1 Produces Un _ Attended) 64%
    People Feel Uncomfortable & Mold and other Items start to take off , Furniture is Effected etc. ..
    So Stage 1 Can't Be Matched any Way in Hell to Air Flow .. ( Back to Motherboard & Stat - good for Arizona ).

Post Likes
    I Hired a Pro to do this _ I was Busy doing Items like Bow Windows , Hybrid Hot water Tank , Entire Front Door system , Insulation @ Least R48 ,
    New Dish Washer , just to name a few . .

This is Not the Best Eff% set up _ which I paid for , nor is it Correct ..

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Cu...ttle%20Cottage

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Cu...Water%20System

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Cu...e/Bow%20Window

Post Likes
    The key is the amount of air flow verses the cooling capacity. I am not familiar with your system. Followup with air temps/%RH with both stages and contact your a/c tech.
    You need a 45^F coil temp with both stages.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Roger That !

I'll be Logging Soon ..
    Home is 2535 Sq Ft, - 2635 sq, ft . If You count Laundry room which is a Slow Vent . .
    At around 633 Sq. Ft per ton and this is Not a even a Tight Home . ( Average ) .. the Brick on the western side on a 88 Temp Day . read
    100 Degrees with the Ir Gauge - those take 4-5 Hours to cool down , so Yeah Scratching My Head Here ..

Post Likes
    Each home air tightness and insulation improvement you make/made. Decreases the sensible cooling load. Which means it cools the home faster then its able to remove humidity/moisture.

VS blowers vari their speed to maintain set air flow/CFM. They are not made so you as the home owner can vari the speed as you want.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Each home air tightness and insulation improvement you make/made. Decreases the sensible cooling load. Which means it cools the home faster then its able to remove humidity/moisture.

VS blowers vari their speed to maintain set air flow/CFM. They are not made so you as the home owner can vari the speed as you want.
    I would think that Large Smart Company's would by Now 2016 Allow their Tech to Adjust the 100% Variable
    Air Handlers _ so as to avoid - Changing out a Coil - just to get Proper Temps of 42-45 Degrees . Which also seems a Bit High , as I have seen plenty running Fine with 1/3 Coating of - Ice on them .

Thank You for Your response , and I'm Posting up some Manual Data Logging :

First Up will be the Grill Intake Air _ Read with Anemometer .

A. There are 2 Separate Returns & Basement Plume Intake Grill , so #1 Grill - has 16 x 20 Grill - High Flow set up with Short Run Dumps Nice and Straight Down to Plume . Return #2 has 2 : 16 X 20 Grills - Located @ Ceiling near a Corner and Other is Up Stairs with a
    Larger Volume Behind Grill Opening . Also Return #2 with Both Grills is a Long Run and Smaller .. Already in Home .
    Return #4 is 12" x 12" Grill in Main Plume in Furnace Room - should have been Placed closer to Intake Return #1 to stall that some
    Enhancing Long return Trunk #2 , but I wasn't in the Room when the Tech Slammed it in .. ( I might be Off ) on that Last Part .
    It's Possible the 12 x 12 is going so Fast past the #2 Trunk Entrance to the Plume it's making a Vacuum . .

B. All these are Running same Filters .

C. All Readings were Held for 5 seconds to stabilize - 6 readings were taken @ each Grill Housing Face .
    Then Averaged .

D. 2 Sets of Readings were taken , 1 set with CFM selected and 1 set with L ft. / min. which was Conveted
    to CFM - After the 6 readings were Averaged . . @ Each Grill .

EE - I Just happen to like Double EE's - LOL

E. The Above was Done for Stage 1 and Stage 2 - Double Readings . .

Grill #1 Stage 1 = 740 Cfm / Grill #1 Stage 2 = 876.6 Cfm
    Grill #1 Stage 1 = 770.2 Cfm Converted / Grill #1 Stage 2 = 890 Cfm Converted

Grill #2 Stage1 = 162 Cfm / Grill #2 Stage 2 = 215.9 Cfm // Grill #2 Stage 1 Converted = 162.25 Cfm - Stage 2 Converted = 219.5
    Grill #3 Stage1 = 291 Cfm / Grill #2 Stage 2 = 398 Cfm // Grill #3 Stage 1 Converted = 278 & Stage 2 Converted = 374.0 Cfm
    Grill # 4 stage 1 = 325 Cfm / Stage 2 = 374 Cfm // Grill #4 Stage 1 Converted = 338.4 Cfm & Stage 2 Converted = 379.8

I Think these Numbers are a little High for a System I believe was Turned down to 350 Cu. ft. Per Ton ..

Post Likes
    With those CFMs(if they are close to accurate), a 4 ton 2 stage isn't going to do any dehumidifying in first stage. There may be a setting not set right on the air handler.

If it was made easy to adjust the CFM of a VS blower to any CFM. Lots of techs, and home owners would have them running too slow most of the time.

You may have seen a coil 1/3 iced up and still cooling the home/place. But they were not running fine. And may have been greatly shortening teh life span of the compressor.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Yes, but a Tech Certified - would be the Only one with Clearance to make those Changes . .

Far as Air conditioning goes it should be a Humidity Stat , not a Temp Stat - Temperature should be secondary consideration for the Stat . or ( Motherboard ) Air Handler .

After 35 min.- 40 min. of Stage II the Air Handler Slowly Ramp Down to say 250 Per ton Cfm
    Where the Coil would be at Coldest Point . After the Initial Cool Down of Stage II , Stage 1 could Carry the system , so long as it was Very Cool . Stage II only coming on for Extra Hot Afternoons or Extra Hot Days . .

How Much of a Roll would a Humidity Sensor Add On really effect the Current 2015 Equipment of Trane's ?
    10 % 30 % - I really don't see a Extra Sensor doing much of anything ?

ps: After some Further Test the CFM Read Out Stopped and the Humidity Readings got all Squirrels
    So this Gauge is Going Back and I'm picking up another One .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by QualityAssure View Post
    Yes, but a Tech Certified - would be the Only one with Clearance to make those Changes . .

Other techs would learn how to do it, and mess up systems, and cause lots of warranty claims.

Far as Air conditioning goes it should be a Humidity Stat , not a Temp Stat - Temperature should be secondary consideration for the Stat . or ( Motherboard ) Air Handler .

Properly sized A/C doesn't need a humidity priority stat.

After 35 min.- 40 min. of Stage II the Air Handler Slowly Ramp Down to say 250 Per ton Cfm

That will freeze up most coils.

Where the Coil would be at Coldest Point . After the Initial Cool Down of Stage II , Stage 1 could Carry the system , so long as it was Very Cool . Stage II only coming on for Extra Hot Afternoons or Extra Hot Days . .

A properly sized 2 stage, cycles between first and second stage on the warmer.

How Much of a Roll would a Humidity Sensor Add On really effect the Current 2015 Equipment of Trane's ?
    10 % 30 % - I really don't see a Extra Sensor doing much of anything ?

Sounds like your trying to create a market for something that isn't really needed, on properly sized A/Cs.

ps: After some Further Test the CFM Read Out Stopped and the Humidity Readings got all Squirrels
    So this Gauge is Going Back and I'm picking up another One .
    Over sized equipment is the cause of high humidity in many homes.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Over sized equipment is the cause of high humidity in many homes.
    The outdoor dew points are +65^F while the outdoor temps are <75^F, how does the a/c run enough to maintain 50%RH inside the home? Infiltration/ventilation and the moisture from the occupants is 3-5 lbs. per hour, if we want 75^F, 50%RH, 55^F dew point inside the home.
    The a/c may not run at all, or very little.
    Help me understand how this works.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast