Thread: Speaking of -- Dehumidification Challenge ...... P-Traps on

Post Likes

Frown Speaking of -- Dehumidification Challenge ...... P-Traps on

Speaking of -- De - Humidification Challenge ...... P-Traps on (( ALL Condensations Lines )) ??

1. Do all You Guys have them ( P-Traps ) or ** only ** New Installs ?
    2. What Percentage of Efficiency is (( Lost removing - Humidity )) - without a P-Trap on Condensation Line ??

ps: Just to Clarify - If No P Trap is Used and Condensate Line is just straight Run Basically - Won't the Air Handler
    Suck Moisture - right back into System - through the 1" Pipe - as it has No Vacuum Breaker ( Inside Conditioned Space ) - Basement .

Post Likes
    To Clarify - Sucking Moisture during Low Fan Speeds or Stage 1 on 2 stage systems .
    Looks to be what I finding on some Installs !

Post Likes
    How much air can you suck through a 1" pipe?
    If it makes you fee better, put a trap in. My biggest fear is that the pan may over flow because air backflow stops condensate from draining.
    Even a flapper on the end of the condensate line.
    Not sure what this is all about.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    A ptrap is neccessary if the coil is on the negative side of the blower, otherwise it won't drain until the fan shuts off. If the coil is on the positive side then it doesn't have to have a ptrap unless you care about losing 1cfm of air through the 3/4" pipe.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    air through the 3/4" pipe.
    I have never seen 1" pipe as a drain n residential only commercial and then you are talking 10 tons or more so not much to worry about on humidity being sucked in but what about all of the fresh air going into the commercial RTU's? This is what should get you all worked up not the 3/4" drain line on a residential unit. and if it is on the positive side it would blow air out not suck it in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    I have never seen 1" pipe as a drain n residential only commercial and then you are talking 10 tons or more so not much to worry about on humidity being sucked in but what about all of the fresh air going into the commercial RTU's? This is what should get you all worked up not the 3/4" drain line on a residential unit. and if it is on the positive side it would blow air out not suck it in.
    Correct

Post Likes
    +1 Yes, Correct - just saying .

I have to get a
    Air Flow Anemometer with Humidity & Dew Point ..

Thank You - 1 and All for Your Views on P-Traps ..

Comment on Eff % Lost : 1 CFM , so 60 Cu. Ft. in Hour - approx 10 Hours a Day of ( On Run Mode ) = 600 Cu. Ft into My Sewer system a Day ..
    Don't Know If that's Good or Bad

Depending on Tonnage and Eff % of Air Unit - Speed Setting of the Air Handler . ( Approx ) 5 Pints Per Hour , 50 Pints a Day about 6.25 Gallons ..

Side Note :
    Also I'm starting to see where the Collection of this Water - could Really Pay Off .

( 1 Town House Project ) with everyone having 3 Ton Units - say - 200 Units = 1500 Gallons of Water Per Day - Enough to Water all of the Lawn
    and Trees of a Good size Project .

Very Valuable ..

Post Likes
    Anyone - Seeing Demand for Water Collection ?

As Mentioned Above .
    Also I'm starting to see where the Collection of this Water - could Really Pay Off .

( 1 Town House Project ) with everyone having 3 Ton Units - say - 200 Units = 1500 Gallons Approx .of Water Per Day -
    Enough to Water all of the Lawn and Trees of a Good size Project .

Very Valuable ..

Post Likes
    It doesn't have the minerals plants need, I don't think.

Post Likes

Yes it need to be Enhanced

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    It doesn't have the minerals plants need, I don't think.

Yes , Water would need to be Enhanced - with some Green Grow and Pushed out through a Sprinkler
    or Drip Lines ..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by QualityAssure View Post
    Yes , Water would need to be Enhanced - with some Green Grow and Pushed out through a Sprinkler
    or Drip Lines ..
    Sure it could be done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in