Post Likes

Any thoughts on what this could be? compressor kicking on and off only when very hot

New home. First summer with this unit. Any thoughts? It doesn't happen on most days. When it is hot, this happens. Also happened the first time we turned it on. Does not appear to happen in cooler weather. We have a home warranty but, as some may have discovered, unless it is totally broken, they won't fix it...can't reproduce the problem I've only seen this maybe 3 times since the beginning of the summer. Our air handler is in the attic, if it is of any influence.

Anyway, I am not looking for DIY advice. I just really am curious. For now, we haven't done anything about it except for turn off the air when if we hear it and then wait a half hour or so.

apparently I can't post the video
    link is here
    youtu.be/JhgVRjzVApc

edit...maybe now I can embed?

My apologies for the bastardized thread. Shame on me.
    Last edited by rubenk; 06-23-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: embedvid

Post Likes
    it appears electrical... like a timer is defective or something. no way the compressor is building enough pressure to trip a limit switch or anything.

call for service, explain to the tech on the phone that something is forcing the unit to extreme short cycle 2 seconds on, then off... repeat...

it's either the thermostat, or a defective wiring issue.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    What happens if you turned the thermostat off for 15+ minutes when this happens, then turn it back on will it restart OK? Even if this has a start assist kit I like to see a 5 minute off cycle timer. System not charged correctly ( due to happening in hot weather and not in cooler weather ) you may have a non bleed metering device causing it to trip on a pressure control on start up. Assuming there are pressure controls on this system and it is tripping on that control. Why do you have a home warranty and this not being covered by the installing Contractor. You say new house, first summer you should have at least a one year labor warranty.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 06-24-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Post Likes

Any thoughts on what this could be? compressor kicking on and off only when very hot

Weird, if it was a high pressure switch most of those have to be manually reset, low pressure I doubt it. I thought maybe a float switch, but the timing on and off seems to be the exact same. Need to leave it off and call for service. Please come back and let us know what the issue was, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden