+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appion TEZ8

Post Likes
    Definitely something wrong with this one I got. Same micron gauge. Will not pull below 5000 microns. Cannot find any leaks.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Definitely something wrong with this one I got. Same micron gauge. Will not pull below 5000 microns. Cannot find any leaks.

I thought you said 50 microns in your original post.
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Haven't tried an appion, but my pumps (JB & Robinair) pull down to 30 microns in nothing flat. This is with ports capped, gauge on pump. I've heard that appions sometimes don't pull as deep, but 5000 is unacceptable. Return or rebuild, but if you rebuild and it doesn't work right, you may not be able to return.

Post Likes
    I think the reason you don't see as deep on a Appion TEZ hose port is the distance from the actual pump intake is farther away inside the machine than a normal pump. If you let it run it should go deeper eventually but those molecules get lazy when you get in that low range the pump is ultimately capable of. That debris trap is probably worth it though.

5. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I think the reason you don't see as deep on a Appion TEZ hose port is the distance from the actual pump intake is farther away inside the machine than a normal pump. If you let it run it should go deeper eventually but those molecules get lazy when you get in that low range the pump is ultimately capable of. That debris trap is probably worth it though.
    Speaking of debris trap, OP, have you looked at that gasket?

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    okay so this is MOST likely a fault on the side of the micron gauges. The gauges have low limits that if you surpass will cause the numbers to give bad reading.
    U fo real bro? I bin doin dis awhile an haint seen dat!?

8. Likes m singer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Can't say I've seen anybody in the field post pics of a TEZ much lower than 50-40 microns.

10. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    okay so this is MOST likely a fault on the side of the micron gauges. The gauges have low limits that if you surpass will cause the numbers to give bad reading.
    Just FYI: The BluVacs have no "low limit". The photos posted indicate a problem with the pump, IMHO.

12. Likes knave liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Quick question for someone who owns this unit

If you hook up your vacuum gauge directly off the unit with all the other caps on, should it pull down to 50 microns or below rather quickly like I think it should?

Testing a unit I bought on Fleabay which the unit looks barely used but came with some mystery oil. I have run the unit through several purge cycles but still cannot get it below 5000 microns. All the seals are in the original Appion caps.

Fresh oil getting a little cloudy in short order which makes me think there are still contaminates in the unit.

Because of considerations of volume, vacuum gauge sensitivity, and a few other small details, the last few dozen microns can be a bit of a pain. I know this from experience on the production line.

However, from this description, the OP's pump is not performing right.

A properly working Tez8, with clean oil and everything working right, typically pulls down under 100 microns in under 1 minute, when a quality vacuum gauge is connected directly to the pump.

I've seen contamination in the oil make things bounce around in the hundreds (100-800), but with a full oil flush, you should have NO problem pulling down under 1,000 microns.

Please call us at the factory to arrange a repair, and let them know that Christian told you about this on HVAC-Talk. We'll keep the cost minimal. Better than that, if we determine it might have been a fault of ours at some point, we'll do it for free. Odds are it's something simple, but the fastest and least expensive way for us to help you here is to bring the pump in for a quick repair.

As far as testing, here's another test the rest of you can try if you are uncertain about the performance of your Tez8:
    - Evacuate a 6-foot 1/2" hose and a 50-lb cylinder to 200 microns or lower.
    - Maintain this vacuum for at least 30 minutes.
    - Bring the hose back up to atmosphere, change the oil in the Tez8.
    - Time how long it takes to bring it back down to 300 microns.
    - 300 microns should be reached in under 5 minutes.
    - 5 to 10 minutes may just mean you still have contamination... try another oil change
    - Anything over 10 minutes indicates significant wear.

The first part of that is to ensure you are starting with a truly clean setup. Timing this stage doesn't tell you much... I've found some "new" tanks to have a vacuum level around 150,000 microns.

As for the remainder of the test... the purpose of a vacuum pump is to get below the vapor pressure of non-condensables and moisture, as quickly and efficiently as possible. Simply hooking a micron gauge directly to the pump does not give a clear picture of how well (in speed and depth) a vacuum pump will evacuate a system, you need a volume of air to pull down in order to assess performance.

To give you an idea, I remember testing one of those cheap Harbor Freight pumps once, and got it down to just around 30 microns, pretty fast. However, that thing couldn't pull down a system to save its life. Meanwhile, an early prototype of the Tez8 couldn't pull down below 100 microns, but it could suck down a 50-lb tank faster than [insert vulgar reference here]. So, we learned that a defined volume was necessary to establish a performance baseline.

There's a lot of other considerations when it comes to vacuum gauges, depth, speed, etc, but I won't waste time on that here. The OP has a pump that's not working right, and if that's true for anyone else, let us know so that we can get you taken care of.

14. Likes knave, kamersoutdoor, a4s_hvac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Speaking of debris trap, OP, have you looked at that gasket?
    Yes. Looks fine.

Post Likes
    I had a Tez 8 and didn't really care for it honestly. I went back with the yellow jacket pump.
    UA Local 562

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AJS HVAC View Post
    I had a Tez 8 and didn't really care for it honestly. I went back with the yellow jacket pump.
    I would be happy to take it off your hands.

Post Likes
    JB had a vacuum pump clinic the other day. Brought in my TEZ. He couldn't change the oil on it but checked the pumping. 60 microns in 90 seconds. I think it should be better than that, still he was using JB micron gauge.
    On an other note my G5 went crazy the other day twisted the high side gauge around once or twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Guy I work with did. He has issues with it also
    UA Local 562

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AJS HVAC View Post
    Guy I work with did. He has issues with it also
    I would be happy to take it off his hands lol

21. Likes lytning liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Lol
    UA Local 562

Post Likes
    Special thanks to Appion for replacing the decal and also the plastic door for the oil compartment. I guess I am keeping my JB for back up as no one bid on it. Let me say if you own an Appion you don't need a back up.

24. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I know I previously complained about it not pulling down below (whatever I thought was great), but after using this in the field several more times......... I love it!
    I get grumpy in the summer heat

A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    I know I previously complained about it not pulling down below (whatever I thought was great), but after using this in the field several more times......... I love it!
    I get grumpy in the summer heat
    Mine is a beast, love it. Worth every 87,900 pennies.

27. Likes kamersoutdoor, digitalj44 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I think there is a bit of a learning curve. I have been using 2 3/8 hoses right off the pump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in