Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Getting out of HVAC service. It's been fun, but I'm ready for something new.

I got my official job offer letter from my local city govt. today and I start on Monday. No more van driving for me!

As much as I've enjoyed the flexibility and freedom of working by myself out in the field, I can think of quite a few things I won't miss.

- Getting rolled out of bed at 2am on a sub-zero night to drive half an hour and work on some ****box Lennox Pulse or something.
    - Climbing onto the roofs of extremely shady restaurants, gas stations, and kwik-e-marts.
    - Hoarders, nuts, and other interesting customers.
    - Having my hours more or less dictated by the weather.
    - Spending 5-10 hours a week fixing things my esteemed co-workers botched.
    - The delightful smell of a failed Carrier heat exchanger.

The benefits, pay increase, and pension also make the city job a little more tasty

I'm not totally abandoning HVAC though. I'll be running and maintaining the boilers and chillers in a gaggle of city buildings, as well as doing other jobs in the same buildings. I also have a feeling their numerous mini-split units will end up married off to me as well. That's what I get for working at a Mitsu Diamond dealer. I'll be working an unsupervised shift too, which will be interesting I'm sure.

I didn't post much since getting my hvac service job five years ago, but I spent a lot of time lurking and using the search function to look up info on specific makes and models of equipment, and you guys have been really helpful, posting lots of useful information. Thanks dudes!

2. Likes lkapigian, syk12 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Here's wishing you well in the new job!
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

4. Likes syk12 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hope city politics don't spoil it for you. Keep us posted. Good luck.

6. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Congrats on the new job. Good luck.

Post Likes
    That sounds awesome, good luck. And if I had an out, attics and insects would be my main reasons

Beer can cold!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhero1985 View Post
    That sounds awesome, good luck. And if I had an out, attics and insects would be my main reasons

Beer can cold!!!
    Thankfully, I live in a place where everyone has a basement, so crawls and attics weren't a big thing for me.

Post Likes
    I personally think a lot of us would like to do the same, the government has made this a hard business to be in. I'm semi-retired now and loving it, glad I made it to this point, it hasn't been easy but I'm very happy now. If you have very little bills like me, semi-retirement is awesome, it's the best of both worlds. Wish you the very best, you have my blessings, I know you're going to be a much happier person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Thanks, Mr. Bill! I'm still about 30 years away from retirement, but I like the prospect of it a lot more with this new job allowing me to save a lot more, have a pension, etc. I honestly wasn't 100% sure about going back to school to get my ASOPE second-class card, but now I think it was definitely worth it.

Post Likes
    Good for you! The HVAC industry is a great place to be in but just like any other jobs, it also has its own share of pros and cons (I feel you on the things you won't miss part). We may not know each other but I sincerely wish you the best on your new job

Post Likes
    Keep us informed! Good luck on your new job!

Post Likes
    I'm a lot more eager to go to work these days. I didn't feel that way 4 months in at my last job.

I've already had to change a couple of buildings worth of clogged filters and hose off a couple of filthy/clogged chillwater/steam coils.

Some things never change lol.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andr00 View Post
    I got my official job offer letter from my local city govt. today and I start on Monday. No more van driving for me!

As much as I've enjoyed the flexibility and freedom of working by myself out in the field, I can think of quite a few things I won't miss.

- Getting rolled out of bed at 2am on a sub-zero night to drive half an hour and work on some ****box Lennox Pulse or something.
    - Climbing onto the roofs of extremely shady restaurants, gas stations, and kwik-e-marts.
    - Hoarders, nuts, and other interesting customers.
    - Having my hours more or less dictated by the weather.
    - Spending 5-10 hours a week fixing things my esteemed co-workers botched.
    - The delightful smell of a failed Carrier heat exchanger.

The benefits, pay increase, and pension also make the city job a little more tasty

I'm not totally abandoning HVAC though. I'll be running and maintaining the boilers and chillers in a gaggle of city buildings, as well as doing other jobs in the same buildings. I also have a feeling their numerous mini-split units will end up married off to me as well. That's what I get for working at a Mitsu Diamond dealer. I'll be working an unsupervised shift too, which will be interesting I'm sure.

I didn't post much since getting my hvac service job five years ago, but I spent a lot of time lurking and using the search function to look up info on specific makes and models of equipment, and you guys have been really helpful, posting lots of useful information. Thanks dudes!
    Best of luck to you. What are you going ti be doing?

Post Likes
    Best of luck to you. I don't think I could every leave the HVACR/BAS field, but I don't think I could work in-house either. I love what I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast