Thread: New HVAC advice

Post Likes

New HVAC advice

Hello everyone!

Our house was built in 1986. It has 1932 sq ft. We just bought it in September. Our original HVAC system currently is a Arcoaire 70,000 BTU 70% AFUE Furnace which is original to the home (which is 30 years old), and the A/C is a Lennox 2.5 ton that was put in 1998. We had a couple companies come out for estimates, but we decided on one contractor who was fantastic at explaining everything and went over a Manual J calculation with me and took me through the whole process to understand it.

The manual J showed the we would need a 2.5 ton A/C and a 60,000 BTU furnace.

The contractor gave us two different options for HVAC Brands:

Ducane:
    Furnace model number: 95G2UH070BV12 (95% AFUE)
    A/C model number: 4AC13L30P-7A
    10 year limited parts warranty
    lifetime heat exchanger warranty
    1 year labor warranty (from the contractor).

Comfortmaker:
    Furnace model number: G9MXT (96% AFUE) with a 5 year no hassle replacement warranty
    A/C model number: N4A3
    10 year limited parts warranty
    lifetime heat exchanger warranty
    1 year labor warranty (from the contractor)

Also....a...
    Nest thermostat
    Dynamic Air 1' Polarized media air cleaner
    Air Scrubber Plus

Since we live in Northeast Ohio, we dont have a lot of contact hours for the use of a higher SEER A/C, and I don't see the difference in getting a higher SEER.

My question what would you recommend out of the two brands? I don't know much about Ducane or Comfortmaker except for Lennox makes Ducane and Comfortmaker is made by Carrier. I appreciate all of your input!

Post Likes
    Skip the Dynamic, skip the Nest. Get a good media air cleaner and an Ecobee3.

Either system properly sized and installed would be fine. You're looking at a nice furnace but a low end A/C from both brands. Ducane A/C is Mexican. They don't have a deluxe model in 13 SEER. Comfortmaker does if you want sound deadening and compressor protection and a no hassle replacement warranty.

30 year old Arco? Not bad. Arcoaire is a sister brand of Comfortmaker. They weren't part of Carrier back then. That's back in the Snyder days before ICP bought them and then Carrier bought ICP.

3. Likes csal134, ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    I find it odd that your contractor performed a manual J calculation, but came up wi the same size equipment as the house had originally.

The 95% furnace will put out nearly double the heat of the old furnace, and I doubt the house needs additional heat.

Could you post your energy usage over the last years?
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Skip the Dynamic, skip the Nest. Get a good media air cleaner and an Ecobee3.

Either system properly sized and installed would be fine. You're looking at a nice furnace but a low end A/C from both brands. Ducane A/C is Mexican. They don't have a deluxe model in 13 SEER. Comfortmaker does if you want sound deadening and compressor protection and a no hassle replacement warranty.

30 year old Arco? Not bad. Arcoaire is a sister brand of Comfortmaker. They weren't part of Carrier back then. That's back in the Snyder days before ICP bought them and then Carrier bought ICP.
    Why would you skip the dynamic? I looked into the deluxe model of the Comfortmaker to see how much more it would be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    I find it odd that your contractor performed a manual J calculation, but came up wi the same size equipment as the house had originally.

The 95% furnace will put out nearly double the heat of the old furnace, and I doubt the house needs additional heat.

Could you post your energy usage over the last years?
    Unfortunately we have only lived in the house since last September, so I can post you the KwH from September to present.

September 2015: 504 KwH
    October 2015: 679 KwH
    November 2015: 559 KwH
    December 2015: 511 KwH
    January 2016: 497 KwH
    February 2016: 740 KwH
    March 2016: 857 KwH
    April 2016: 550 KwH
    May 2016: 752 KwH

We had a more mild winter at the beginning until about February.

Post Likes
    Couple of points:

Ducane is part of 'AlliedAir'... which is wholly owned by Lennox.
    My company has been installing AlliedAir products for many years... they are reliable.
    Natural gas is cheap now... however someday it will be expensive again... business cycles. I would definitely go with the higher efficiency furnace.
    Having said that: The old furnace gave you 70% of the heat into your home... the new one gives you 95% of the heat into your home... that is a far cry from double the heat... And the condensing furnaces tend to last longer...

Super fancy air filters are cool...
    However unless there is someone with serious medical needs...
    A basic media filter (Honeywell, AirBear), is fine.

Get a conventional digital thermostat...
    The NEST has been the worst stat... lots of issues.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    We use the Nest for trap shooting and hockey pucks. 100% junk.

Get an upgraded filter to something washable. $30 disposable ones add up fast....
    "The value of quality is long rembered after the thrill of low price is forgotten."

9. Likes SkyHeating liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Couple of points:

Ducane is part of 'AlliedAir'... which is wholly owned by Lennox.
    My company has been installing AlliedAir products for many years... they are reliable.
    Natural gas is cheap now... however someday it will be expensive again... business cycles. I would definitely go with the higher efficiency furnace.
    Having said that: The old furnace gave you 70% of the heat into your home... the new one gives you 95% of the heat into your home... that is a far cry from double the heat... And the condensing furnaces tend to last longer...

Super fancy air filters are cool...
    However unless there is someone with serious medical needs...
    A basic media filter (Honeywell, AirBear), is fine.

Get a conventional digital thermostat...
    The NEST has been the worst stat... lots of issues.
    I am a Nurse (Cardiac surgery ICU) and my wife is a teacher. She does have some medical issues that I wanted the air filters. Plus, with what I deal within the hospital, I just feel safer.

What kind of issues have the NEST been having? Would it be safer to go with the Ecobee like bald said?

Post Likes
    Nest is a fad. Your free to search though the mountains of history on here with them. Others make a much better product.
    The nest just has lots of sparkly things on the surface to hide a sub par program.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    Stay away from the Nest, anything but that thermostat.
    My wife and I have an air scrubber in our house and love it. I didn't put one in for the longest time since it seemed a bit weird, now I wouldn't live without one.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!