Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    i don't use any tester
    i check hi and low voltage at the connector
    if voltage is present, i remove the module and check the motor Ohm
    and check to the ground as well
    if the motor is good and i have voltage guess what ?
    i have to figure out how to tell the customer he/she have to spend lot of $$$ to replace that electronic gizmo LOL

Post Likes
    You Tube by AC service tech (Brian Orr) shows how to use a harness modified to take the place of a Tec-mate. to test the 16pin variable speed ECM. My last repaired ECM was for a Trane and they wanted $1000. for the motor and module. I found the motor had a shorted turn and repaired it after putting in a PSC. Now I have a test motor and module.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    That's good to know. Still wondering what tester is the one to get.
    I have the original Variable Speed Zebra, but have not used it in years, I just use my multimeter.
    I don't think I've ever found the problem to be the control board not sending a signal to the motor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I have the original Variable Speed Zebra, but have not used it in years, I just use my multimeter.
    I don't think I've ever found the problem to be the control board not sending a signal to the motor.
    I have seen it more than once with nordyne systems, luckily they dont throw a motor code in that scenario so really still no need for a tester..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You Tube by AC service tech (Brian Orr) shows how to use a harness modified to take the place of a Tec-mate. to test the 16pin variable speed ECM. My last repaired ECM was for a Trane and they wanted $1000. for the motor and module. I found the motor had a shorted turn and repaired it after putting in a PSC. Now I have a test motor and module.
    I saw that searching around for info. I think the new model comes with the male plug now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Think i saw that video, didnt he rotate the shaft with a drill to generate heat at the short and pinpoint it with a inferred camera? Was a pretty good idea.

Post Likes
    I love my zebra vz-7, it hooks up in-line between the board and module, will confirm the board is operating correctly and allows you to take over and change the speed to its heat, fan, cool settings. Its caught a couple motors that were new out the box that would work fine in cooling but not heat or vice versa. Having said that it doesnt come out of the van every time but has made a hero out of me when other techs were stumped. I wish that it did PWM as well but I guess they want to stay employed as well

Post Likes
    I always get a motor and module... thats how they sell em around here anyways. Never have replaced just a module.. I just use a meter if its something like an x13 and if its more complicated there is always a procedure from the manuf to follow.... little aggravating at times going thru the motions.... but I get paid by the hour.

Ive also seen those split module/motors on York equipment. Package and split systems
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    I have seen it more than once with nordyne systems, luckily they dont throw a motor code in that scenario so really still no need for a tester..

The Nordynes I have seen use the Broad Ocean motors... Different
    I bought on of those BO testers and it has saved my butt.

Only because I have had 3 control boards go out. And I hook up the tester to run the motor.
    Easy Peasy, because Nordyne takes forever to get parts! Other than that, don't need a tester....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    I wish that it did PWM as well
    If you can get hold of an old Trane XR401 thermostat, you can use it with some jumper wire as a ghetto PWM controller. Any of their thermostats with a BK terminal will do it, but the XR401 doesn't require any set up or boot up time.

11. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    The Nordynes I have seen use the Broad Ocean motors... Different
    I bought on of those BO testers and it has saved my butt.

Only because I have had 3 control boards go out. And I hook up the tester to run the motor.
    Easy Peasy, because Nordyne takes forever to get parts! Other than that, don't need a tester....
    Yes i am speaking of the broad ocean ecm’s. If you had to have one ecm tester that would be the one.

Post Likes
    Never seen an ECM motor go bad,Always the module.It is easy to check the motor,Unplug the module from the motor.You have three wires going to the motor.Ohm it out just like a compressor.If it ohms out good between all three wires ,and no reading to ground.The motor is good.Also spin the motor to check bearings,I have not seen a bad motor yet.Not to say it doesn't happen.If you have all the proper voltage to the motor,It is usually the module.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12