+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Evacuating a system after repair

Post Likes

Evacuating a system after repair

I've been doing service work for about a year now. I was taught to evacuate through manifold. Recently I've read on here, guys are using the appion kit and such and avoiding the manifolds. Seen the video that was shared on here somewhere which used the core removals and larger vacuum hose. My question is.. seems like that works on a new install but if you had to remove all refrigerant to do a condenser repair how do you charge the system without introducing air and using the valve core removal tools? Wouldn't air be introduced after removing vacuum hoses to insert cores?

Post Likes
    after vacuum is completed I break the vacuum with refrigerant to a slight positive pressure then close valve on valve core tool reinstall valve core and your good no air got sucked in.

Click here for video

UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Thanks for the video but to heat. Maybe I'm over looking something simple, but I don't quite understand how you break the vacuum. Evacuate, remove pump hose, connect hose to refrigerant bottle or manifold, then allow refrigerant ? Sorry just having a hard time running this through my head.

Post Likes
    I use a 4 way manifold set like this:
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    So pull off vacuum hoses, connect manifold to core removal tools and apply the slightly positive pressure to removal told and just crack the hose at thw removal tool to bleed air?

Post Likes
    Well, lets see.
    1) Pull vacuum using vacuum rated VCRT(s) and vacuum hoses without manifold.
    2) Close VCRT valve(s) and remove vacuum hose(s).
    3) Attach charging hoses with ball valves to manifold (three way is fine), refrigerant tank and VCRT's
    4) Purge charging hoses with refrigerant
    5) Open VCRT valves and charge system to above atmospheric pressure.
    6) Close VCRT valves and ball valves on charging hoses. disconnect charging hoses from VCRT's.
    Reinstall schrader valves using VCRT's that are still in place.
    7) Reattach charging hoses to VCRT's and purge from ball valve to VCRT valves.
    Charge system
    8) Complete final balance by closing off tank valve and releasing liquid from charging hose while system is running into suction line, then close charging hose ball valve.
    9) Disconnect from system by closing VCRT valve on high side, and release liquid in high pressure hose through manifold into suction line. Close high pressure hose ball valve and remove hose from high side VCRT.
    10) Close VCRT valve on low side, and the ball valve on low side hose. Then detach hose from low side VCRT.
    11) Remove VCRT's from service ports

You still have refrigerant vapor trapped in the hoses. Consider recovering vapor from the hoses depending hose length. Let's say you had to use a fifty foot charging hose, someone other than me on this forum could tell you how many ounces of vapor is still in the hoses.

No doubt I missed something. So, jump in and fill in any gaps.

Post Likes
    Whoops! The VCRT's will need to come off between steps #6 and #7. Hoses then connect directly to service ports. I knew I forgot something!

Post Likes
    Simple way is connect your refrigerant tank and a hose to one of the side ports in the vcrt. Leaving the tank valve closed will have the hose in a vacuum. Close the valves on the vcrt's then weigh in some refrigerant to break the vacuum.. Reinsert valve cores, remove vcrt , hook up manifold and weigh in the rest of the charge, after purging hoses of course.

Post Likes
    The Main 'thing is eliminating the Schrader's.
    What you decide to do after this,is up to you.
    No matter how long you have been doing this,
    Go back and reread the Basic's.You WILL Learn something.
    Why is it called,an Act of GOD when IT has Nothing to do with Him?
    Will of the Devil would be more appropriate IMO.Just Saying.
    PSALMS, 18 & 25.
    I am Tired of High Efficiency Propaganda.

10. Likes buttwheat liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ahhh ok. I get it. Some reason I was having a hard time putting it together in my head. I want to pick up what I need for this setup. If my pump has 3/8"x 1/4" x 1/2" Male Flare, should I get a 3/8" and 1/2" vacuum hose with the 1/4" fittings or two 1/2" hoses?

Post Likes
    Same here. I will put it up to 30 psig or so. Then put the cores in.

Post Likes
    Manifolds suck for evac. Your never go back to a manifold again and your customer will get a better job.

Post Likes
    My thought would be two 1/2" hoses. One with 1/4" X 1/2" fittings, and the other with 1/4" x 3/8" fittings. That way you can have both hoses attached to the vacuum machine with as little restriction as possible.

I ordered two 1/2" hoses from TruTech. Both were 1/4" x 1/2". Based on the pump I also ordered, they switched me to the hoses I described above. I think it was a good call on their part.

Thank you TruTech.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Simple way is connect your refrigerant tank and a hose to one of the side ports in the vcrt. Leaving the tank valve closed will have the hose in a vacuum. Close the valves on the vcrt's then weigh in some refrigerant to break the vacuum.. Reinsert valve cores, remove vcrt , hook up manifold and weigh in the rest of the charge, after purging hoses of course.

Oh, I see! Evacuate the charging hose to the tank while you are evacuating the system. Nice! I might try that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    My thought would be two 1/2" hoses. One with 1/4" X 1/2" fittings, and the other with 1/4" x 3/8" fittings. That way you can have both hoses attached to the vacuum machine with as little restriction as possible.

I ordered two 1/2" hoses from TruTech. Both were 1/4" x 1/2". Based on the pump I also ordered, they switched me to the hoses I described above. I think it was a good call on their part.

Thank you TruTech.
    Get a set of good core remover tools that are vacuum rated. Get a good micron gauge. Change your vacuum pump oil every job and sometimes a couple times on the same job if the microns quit coming down.

Post Likes
    Clean your micron gauge sensor every job

Post Likes
    I have the Yellowjacket Manifold that has a 3/8" in addition to the three 1/4" ports. Is it still way faster to skip the manifold when vacuuming a system down? I typically put the two 1/4" on the system and pull through the 3/8" line, and I'm pretty happy with how fast I can pull a vac.

Post Likes
    Think about all the restrictions and sources of turbulence in the manifold. Short radius 90 degree turns, valves are not full-flow ball, 1/4" inlet even if you are using the 3/8" out. I'm certainly not an engineer. For what it's worth I did teach 8th grade math for a year (Ha!). Just intuitively, going through the manifold is like kinking your garden hose.

Post Likes
    Seems like overkill for anything residential. I could see if you're evacuating a 20 ton system or something. But even 5 ton residential a 5 cfm pump is done moving air in 10 minutes. The rest of the time it's sitting in a vacuum. How much faster does it need to be...

21. Likes buttwheat, AEW liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    Seems like overkill for anything residential. I could see if you're evacuating a 20 ton system or something. But even 5 ton residential a 5 cfm pump is done moving air in 10 minutes. The rest of the time it's sitting in a vacuum. How much faster does it need to be...
    I believe, although I can't prove it, that the time in vacuum to pull down below a satisfactory micron level is also determined in part by these restrictions. Changing the hose configuration during the process takes maybe five minutes. If that reduces the time to pull a proper vacuum by 20 minutes, and you were working on a contract bid, then that 15 minutes saved overall just made you $25 more profit on the job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in