Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    At that temp,no PVC piping i hope.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    It's all PVC pipe, everywhere.
    He wouldn't authorize me to buy belts. He wanted to take the belts off the tower with the seized motor and use them.
    This is an expensive hotel, and most of the rooms were without air conditioning until I got there and got one tower running. It was 91* yesterday.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    Usually when this kind of thing happens, the owners/managers of the building clean house and hire new staff as a way to show there was someone to blame. Then they hire more discounted cheap people and the whole cycle starts over again.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Local 486

Post Likes
    Those overtime weekend calls I make sure they have plenty of travel charges in the bill. Did they have you write up a BS story on the bill to cover the stupidity? When does the second tower come into play, when the OD temp gets in the 100's.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    I can see a bunch of PVC to metal joints slowing starting to drip.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    I wrote exactly what I found and did on the ticket and never got it signed. The copy gets mailed directly to the owner of the hotel.
    They were crippled yesterday, the loop was in the 90s without everything running. Normal loop temp set point at this facility is 80 in the summer.

Local 486

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I can see a bunch of PVC to metal joints slowing starting to drip.
    Hopefully they went male PVC to female metal... A little better configuration for expansion tolerance. Still could leak of course.
    Also lets hope they at least have sched 80 in there. I've seen buildings with 40 throughout, it ain't pretty and I really doesn't like being heated up.

Post Likes
    As technicians we spend a fair amount of our time dealing with the uninformed, the careless, the overlooked, and the ignorant. Wherever appropriate (especially in these days of "YouTube told me how") charge for stupidity. You will find it grants peace of mind!

Post Likes
    Some of the pros on this site are on youtube .
    but i agree with you're reply

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    ...when your towers are down and your loop is 138*.
    the motor failed last September and was just left like this.
    I hate it when people run properties like this. At one of my previous jobs, they believed in this exact same philosophy, right down from initial construction. Ice rink, in Florida. HVAC was DX, ice plant was ammonia chiller / brine in-floor loop. Ammonia leaks were common. Even had a brine leak underneath the rink which was left that way for a few months.

I was told original plans were for chilled water for HVAC, but cut due to cost. Likewise, there were supposed to be twin cooling towers at the end of the parking lot, but the second one was cut due to cost and a single tower was placed on the roof of the building to save the cost of running electric/pipes. Single tower was sized for the load and a 2-speed motor was installed... until it became a 1 speed motor when the low speed windings died. Not the end of the world.

Eventually the motor died...on a holiday weekend. So, the building manager got creative. They bought a ton of drum fans from Home Depot and put them on the sides, blowing air in. Not a bad idea, I guess, but nowhere near enough CFMs to run the plant. So he called a local ice company and had them delivering blocks of ice, which they were lifting up to the roof with a boomer and putting them on top of the coils. This actually DID work, but the process was impractical. So the guy calls the roofing company up and they brought one of their conveyor-belt trucks in. They ran this setup for 3 days until they could get a motor. Of course, they replaced the 2-speed motor with a single speed, because it was cheaper.

Fortunately in recent years they finally overhauled the entire ice plant at a substantial cost. The new contractor thankfully put in a multi-fan cooling tower, horizontal fans. Still on the roof, but at least changing the motor doesn't require climbing into the tower now.

Post Likes
    Pay me now or pay me more later.

Post Likes
    if the belt aint broke don't fix it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12