Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Have you ecer experienced a motor do this?

I helped a coworker wire an indoor blower motor for a fan coil unit. When operating in the CCW position it over amps pulling 20 amps when it rated for about 8. It's a marathon 1/2 HP, 120vac. The internal overload is opening. It will ramp up and then down a couple of times then the overload that's it out. It will run all day as long as a load isn't put on it. It will operate in the CW position with the blower wheel not moving any air cause it's spinning the wrong direction all day. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this with a new motor.

Post Likes
    If you have 120V to motor, it's wired properly and cap is within spec it's a bad motor.
    I would double check everything, including motor spec before condemning it.

You say ramp up and down but it doesn't sound like an ECM. No such thing as ramp up and down if it's not

Post Likes
    Yeah I know it's bad.

Post Likes
    So you wanted to know if anyone's gotten a bad motor out of the box before. Ok

Post Likes
    No that's not I wanted to know. I ask to see if anyone has experienced a motor displaying a similar symptom, I assumed this was an area professionals only commented.

6. Likes RezAtDorsia liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Peace and love brother, peace and love!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Dale View Post
    No that's not I wanted to know. I ask to see if anyone has experienced a motor displaying a similar symptom, I assumed this was an area professionals only commented.
    Lol..right.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    Do you have the blower panel/door open while you're checking amp draw?

Post Likes
    More info needed what kind of system, motor application?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    No sir door is on and the unit is under normal operating conditions. the excessive amp draw is immediate. it's an indoor fan motor in a 4 pipe fan coil unit. The motor is bad out of the box just wondered if anyone has gotten one that did this. Bad internal overload, built incorrectly.

Post Likes
    Every once in a while those little Chinese factory workers like to play funny little pranks like this on us dumb Americans. Ha, ha, looks like they got us again. Well played little Chinese dudes!

13. Likes lions_lair, knave liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just found out issues with a 20 hp return fan that couldn't ramp up over 35%. Manufacturer put wrong rpm motor on the fan from the factory. Right HP, right make, just wrong rpm.
    Amperage way over at 100% speed. But I agree anything coming from China makes me suspect.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the internal overload is fine...
    The construction of any electric motor stator is very precise, if there is a slight short between windings, between turns even, it will throw the entire thing off. Even if it ohms out ok, the defect may not occur until it is put under the thermal stress of actually running or running under a load.

Don't forget that motors are dynamic and can behave differently in operation than what may be expected from meter testing. Not by design but because of defects. This happens with grounds too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast