Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicianFrost View Post
    You can drop in R-422D legally lol.

Dropping in R-407C into a R-22 system is like mixing oil with water, it won't work.
    Different oils cause oil logging and other issues. To top that off R-407C has a 20 PSI difference....
    Anyway mixing refrigerants will cause problems, and annoy the one technician who recovers the refrigerant and sells the recovered refrigerant back to the supply house and pay extra for mixed refrigerants.

Answer is:
    No, drop in R-422D or MO99/R-438A
    Or change the oil from the system and add in R-407C
    I agree if you just drop some in w/o a thought to the oil. But,
    r22 works well with POE or mineral, dropping 407 in may lead to frankinjuice but oil will play well with it if you change the oil to POE

Post Likes
    How would you know what the superheat and subcool? You would not really know what product ypu created or even how to devise a T&P chart?
    Only thing you could do is some hack crap making the suction line cold.

Post Likes
    The problem with doing this is r-407c is a blend r-22 is not so you will have a hard time reaching good superheat and subcool.

Post Likes
    Epa would not approve of a technician blending his own refrigerant. When you mix, you wind up with a refrigerant that must be destroyed once recovered. Most supply houses will buy your used R22. But will charge you $20 per pound for mixed gas.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajal View Post
    In situations like this, I always just think about what I would want.

Not only is mixing gases irresponsible, it's not what I would want for my home system, and thus I won't do it.
    Thats funny, I was just sitting here thinking i should tear out my R410a and toss in a 22 I tear out then mix refrigerants

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank215 View Post
    The problem with doing this is r-407c is a blend r-22 is not so you will have a hard time reaching good superheat and subcool.
    I dont think that is true. 407c is very close to r22 and i bet they would cool just fine together...

Post Likes
    So if so many techs are currently doing this, and this mixing is a problem, then why arent we finding DOA comps or what have you with mixed refrigerants?

AND, if something drastic would happen by mixing these refrigerant wouldnt the EPA or what ever entity warn against explosion or what ever drastic thing would happen? are we to believe that they have not done extensive testing with these refrigerants? sure they say dont do it, but its not like they could say go ahead and do it with all the variables....

Personally i dont mix refrigerants, and spend a fair amount of time explaining to customers why we dont and why we dont use a blend on leaking systems, and on and on sometimes.....But as far as this thread goes, everybody says DONT! But why? because its a bad idea? when is it a bad idea? in every situation?

what if a customer just needs to make a week so they got the money to replace, is it a bad idea then?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicianFrost View Post
    You can drop in R-422D legally lol.

Dropping in R-407C into a R-22 system is like mixing oil with water, it won't work.
    Different oils cause oil logging and other issues. To top that off R-407C has a 20 PSI difference....
    Anyway mixing refrigerants will cause problems, and annoy the one technician who recovers the refrigerant and sells the recovered refrigerant back to the supply house and pay extra for mixed refrigerants.

Answer is:
    No, drop in R-422D or MO99/R-438A
    Or change the oil from the system and add in R-407C
    no way is there a 20psi difference.....

Post Likes
    Does it have a similar cooling capacity as 22

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes i would probably work but r407c has a glide so if you mix it with r22 Wich pressure chart do you refer to for your subcool/superheat?

IMO that system would not be reliable.

Post Likes
    Yes i would probably work but r407c has a glide so if you mix it with r22 Wich pressure chart do you refer to for your subcool/superheat?

does it matter? I mean lets be real here, how many times have you not put your gauges on a system that was cooling well with no complaints and had a cold suction line? how many techs dont even know what SC/SH is and still get by with beer can cold?

Couldnt you throw a temp guage in the supply and return register, charge till suction line cold, confirm your 20ish degree split and call it good?

Im by no means saying do this, im sure not going to, but to say you cant cause you dont know which pressure chart to use? well ill just say this....I own a pressure chart and have not once found a reason to pull it out, not once....

12. Likes skwoodwiva2 liked this post
    Post Likes
    The one on the side of the beer can.

PHM
    -------

Yes i would probably work but r407c has a glide so if you mix it with r22

Which pressure chart do you refer to for your subcool/superheat?

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaras View Post
    That is exactly what I was told.... it is ok if you charge in vapor. I still think this is unacceptable. I would never mix refrigerants just to save $$$.
    If you charge a blended refrigerant by vapor, then you are changing the chemical formula due to the different evaporation rates of the individual ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes jacob-k liked this post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast