Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Mixing refrigerants is prohibited by law. And it is prevented by your integrity.

PHM
    -------
    For a lot of us yes!

Post Likes
    I was told fairly recently that residential systems get properly charged by taking the hose off the vacuum pump, putting the hose onto the refrigerant cylinder, and opening both manifold valves.

When it's equalized - it's charged: good to go.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    I was told by an old timer: R-22 is a bunch of chemicals, R-422b is a bunch of chemicals with about the same boiling point. "So what's the big deal adding both sets of chemicals together, as long as the unit doesn't blow up it's good."

My reply; The coffee here is really good.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I was told fairly recently that residential systems get properly charged by taking the hose off the vacuum pump, putting the hose onto the refrigerant cylinder, and opening both manifold valves.

When it's equalized - it's charged: good to go.

PHM
    ----------
    😂
    Good coffee!

Post Likes
    It was about 1993 and I think I was working on one or two chillers a week (requiring the charge to be removed). As stated the protocal was blow off the charge. The customers started to complain about the cost of the refrigerant (800 to 1200 poinds each time) so I made my own recovery machine from a 1/2 hp condensing unit. Mounted it on a four drawer roll around steel cabinet. Added some high and low pressure switches and isolation valve. Had a bracket for filter dryers. Used 125# reusable bottles and a scale to weigh bottles. I used to keep about 6 ice vests in a cooler to pack the bottlse in to make it go faster. Worked like a charm, owners didn't complain about the extra time to recover, we had been told them about the laws changing and it was cheaper than new refrigerant. I used it until the EPA mandated no homemade recovery units

Post Likes
    That's what I used to do for reclaiming the vapor. Except that I used a 3 ton residential condensing unit. It was one of those coffee-table Yorks. We used to use liquid pumps (just carbonator pumps until I got Smith-Koch to build us some Serious dedicated liquid pumps - I always liked Toby Koch; what a friggin pump-genius he was!) to empty the receiver / condenser and then reclaim the vapor with the York. We put the reclaimed refrigerant into empty 125 lb. cylinders. Back then you could just make a tour of local supply houses and collect a skid of empties for the deposit. We actually started with some cheap round unit - Climate Maker or something like that, but it got too beat up with that all-exposed coil. The flat York was a tough bastard and you could move it around easily with a fork or hand truck.

Ahhhhh . . . . The Good Old Days. <g>

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    It was about 1993 and I think I was working on one or two chillers a week (requiring the charge to be removed). As stated the protocal was blow off the charge. The customers started to complain about the cost of the refrigerant (800 to 1200 poinds each time) so I made my own recovery machine from a 1/2 hp condensing unit. Mounted it on a four drawer roll around steel cabinet. Added some high and low pressure switches and isolation valve. Had a bracket for filter dryers. Used 125# reusable bottles and a scale to weigh bottles. I used to keep about 6 ice vests in a cooler to pack the bottlse in to make it go faster. Worked like a charm, owners didn't complain about the extra time to recover, we had been told them about the laws changing and it was cheaper than new refrigerant. I used it until the EPA mandated no homemade recovery units
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Yea, I had two pumps built also, Ah the good old days.

Post Likes
    My first recovery machine was the size of a small piano. Needed a crane to get it to the roof.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910