+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just sharing "Demonstrations in Physics"

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes

Just sharing "Demonstrations in Physics"

"And now I shall call your attention to a man named Julius Sumner Miller, who set forth on orchestrating many demonstrations of some of the most astonishing things. Will not these most fabulously displayed adventures bring forth much knowledge to those who've beheld his..."

Well, his Youtube videos.

What's that got to do with food equipment?

EVERYTHING. And everything else here at HVAC-talk. Everything he explains has something to do with the foundations of learning our trades. So, I had to share this.

In 1969, I was too young and naive...or just didn't get the channel that allowed me to watch this guy on TV.

So the setting in the videos was 1969. Don't let that or the music in the intro dissuade you from watching Professor Julius Sumner Miller from demonstrating physics in the ways that he so passionately did.

I stumbled across these videos while simply looking to download some training videos covering topics that I used to teach back in military classes. In doing so, I opened a treasure-trove of wonderful information of physics demonstrated from behind the counter of a man who was obviously consumed by all aspects of the topic. As he says, "physics is my business."

I found his electricity and magnetism episodes (41 to 45) was what I wanted, but other episodes are very much entertaining and educating. Episode 8: "Adventures with Bernoulli" had me learning something while rolling on the floor laughing!

There's 45 episodes posted on Youtube. Each is around fourteen minutes long. Sit back. Relax. Binge-watch it or do a few episodes a night.

Here's the website:

http://www.physicsvideos.net/miller.html

Here's that episode 8 that I'd mentioned. His exhilaration over the topic while using the training aids in the demonstration at 7:45 had me rolling:

2. Likes Turtleman, ckone180, Push It, kenfix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Cool I will have to check out some more of his videos.
    Have you seen any of I believe they call it minute physics videos. I believe it is one of them that they pull a nearly a perfect vacuum in a NASA rocket silo then they drop a bowling ball and feather and they fall at the same rate. I worked at a school for a few years and ate lunch in science room he would show us some great videos.
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    Thanks for sharing that. I'll be watching them.

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    Yet another thank you… movie night with the little lady is gonna get more and more challenging...lol

Sent through Tapatalk, even though they ruined it with "upgrades"...
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Post Likes
    wow....had to go look this guy up....

dubya dubya dubya juliussumnermiller dot org/background.htm

Gracias! Good stuff!

Post Likes
    I think you have finally found video footage of Poodle Head Mikey!

8. Likes HVAC_Marc, BBeerme, hurtinhvac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I think you have finally found video footage of Poodle Head Mikey!

Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    If you want to start at the beginning, here's the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN2oALaRfL4

Pretty funny. Consider a stick, if it was a good stick, as I would like to have it, it would have to be . . .

Post Likes
    This is freakin' great.

This physicist proves that the center of gravity can exist where there is no mass.

LOL, gawd, I wish there was more of this stuff shown to our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    If you want to start at the beginning, here's the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN2oALaRfL4

Pretty funny. Consider a stick, if it was a good stick, as I would like to have it, it would have to be . . .

Post Likes
    I'll admit, when you first posted this I watched about 5 seconds of that video and then found something else to do. Lol, I'm incredibly spoiled by hi-def, anything else just doesn't hold my attention.

Well I finally watched the entire video. Freakin awesome! This guy has some serious passion for physics. Now I can explain the Venturi effect to the trainees and I'll sound like a genius! (They'll soon wise up)

Like Professor Miller I think I'll watch more because "If I like something I'll do it twice, maybe even three times". Lol thanks ECtofix

Post Likes
    Wow, thanks for posting that. I remember him and watching his show.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Not since Breaking bad have I been so hooked...
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Love it
    I don't agree with some of the explanations of the demonstrations but he's on a roll.

My show was Mr. Wizard and of course the Captain

Post Likes
    Miller was intolerant of misspelled words and misplaced punctuation, and often angered his colleagues because he charged that the students of most faculty were not learning enough. During an interview in the 1940s, he stated that intellectual life in America was in trouble, a belief he held for the rest of his life.

"We are approaching a darkness in the land. Boys and girls are emerging from every level of school with certificates and degrees, but they can't read, write or calculate. We don't have academic honesty or intellectual rigor. Schools have abandoned integrity and rigor."
    ----Miller, sometime in the 1940s.

If he knew what was to come he would have placed himself in a vacuum chamber and threw away the valve.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

17. Likes shellkamp liked this post.
    in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    With the upcoming Oscars on TV, I think I’m gonna re-watch a few of these episodes…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

19. Likes ECtofix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Boltr

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlandru View Post
    Boltr
    Bored of lame tool reviews?Name:  yeah right giphy.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  8.9 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in