Post Likes

Obsolete 4D OEM part numbers has to be a reference somewhere

I have a red tag 4DE1-2000-TSK. Fair enough. The copeland Emerson some with the site hasn't been very helpful. The app pulls up an 4DE1A-2000 not sure what the A is for but bottom line is in trying to get a part number for the valve service kit to rebuild the valves plates. I can find the valve plate a$$emblys all day long but various vendors offer rebuild kits but no part numbers. Anyone know where I can find good part numbers for a 4D valve plate rebuild kit and is the kit the same for both unloading and none? I know the plate a$$emblys are but unsure about the rebuild kits as I've never actually gotten one. Any help appreciated. Also the app gives a part number of 998-5100-07 and calls it
    " Suction & Discharge Valve Kit With Valves Bolts & Gaskest" but not sure if that's the service valves and that part number retrieves nothing on Emerson or google I don't know. There are individual numbers for the service valves. Also I can cross to the new comp number but when I go to use it on the app for parts it says no match- I got the new number right from the Emerson portal
    Last edited by dave1234; 05-07-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Post Likes
    I would check with your local Copeland wholesaler.
    But if this were me , I would purchase the entire valve plate kit . If your going to take the time to pull the heads why not replace the plates ?

What brought you to the conclusion that this compressor needs new reeds?

Post Likes
    I haven't determined anything yet I haven't even pulled the heads. I just like to do my own leg work especially with specific parts as they're never regular stock items. I just seen some vendors- where we don't have accounts offer parts like Pistons, valves, rebuild kits etc... Has to be a resource somewhere where I can find my own numbers and give them to wholesaler

Post Likes
    If you are asking about replacing the valves alone, don't do it. The valves and plate wear into each other. New valves on a worn plate won't seal properly.

The only time I might consider it is if the valves on a relatively new plate got blown out by a liquid slug

Post Likes
    That's a good point. Suppose plates where as smooth as glass and it where a feasible option as a mechanic I'm always trying new things- not necessarily taking the path of least resistance every time as a service tech working with customers to save obey while still performing quality work Im always looking options

Post Likes
    Well so much for that... Valve plates no issues- rear cylinders on both banks ( side closest to suction) rods/ Pistons scrambled lying in bottom of sump. I'm seriously considering rebuilding- replacing rods and Pistons. I'll be starting a new thread opening the floor shooting gallery for target practice on myself.

Post Likes
    Check here ( http://www.cmpcorp.com/Products/4DE/ )
    There is an exploited view to the right along with a parts list.

Post Likes
    That's what I'm talking about!! Thank you sum. It's hard to find good exploded diagrams like that although I've found an out fit called renwhit who I believe is out of Aussie has exploded views of just about every make an model but for what ever reason no discuss they did however provide me with one when I emailed them- very helpful

Post Likes
    Here are the torque values for the Copelands
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    I don't believe Copeland offers a rebuild kit for the disc type valve plates. They actually make it difficult to take those plates apart, because they don't want you to do it. They use tamper resistant torx bolts and a special high temp, high strength loctite on the bolt threads that requires oxy-acetylene heat to soften up. That being said, we rebuild those plates daily and stock all of the components in bulk. There have been numerous changes from the the factory over the years as far as valve design, spring thickness, and cage design, but it seems as though they finally have settled on one combination. All of the parts interchange between all of the disc type plates. The plates themselves differ if it is unloaded or not, and also if it is a "Delta Reed" (suction valve is riveted onto the plate) or a standard plate. The first design Copeland disc type compressor used the standard "floating" suction valve reed. This is the one that most people are familiar with, and it has the reeds laying on 2 hardened pins, one on each side of the cylinder. The "Delta" reed came later, and was originally identified by putting the letter "A" in the 5th spot in the model number. So, a 4DE1-2000-TSK is the standard valve plate, but a 4DE1A-2000-TSK would use the Delta reed type. Today Copeland has changed their model numbers again and the "A" rule doesn't apply, but the theory is that everything that they make is Delta style so there is no longer any reason to single it out in the model number. This post is already pretty long, PM me if you need any other info.