Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    What is the method for this? Just put enought in the line, close the valves, remove hoses, reinstall cores and then let remaining charge go?
    Yes.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The ends of the CRT are thin. If they stick with copper and flare nut it will most likely deform it like I had and the plunger will not clear the end of the tool
    Then either using vacuum rated hoses or a knurled connection similar to the one in question are the options.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The ends of the CRT are thin. If they stick with copper and flare nut it will most likely deform it like I had and the plunger will not clear the end of the tool
    Can you clarify this statement? I have never had a fitting on a unit get collapsed by the CRT due to the double o ring seal. If you mean the male end on the CRT, if that happens due to the copper flare, at least you can ream or drill out that end without loosing the vacuum in the system.

pacnw, In all reality you should switch to vacuum rated hoses. If for no other reason than the fact that every couple of times you use the copper, you will or at least should be cutting and re-flaring the ends of the tub. Any little imperfections in the male flare will damage the flare seat on the tube and greatly increase the risk of leak on the next vacuum.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive dealt with this before, some "ripper and gripper" has to torque the livin sh1t out of the flair. normally no biggie if its just a flair. but this connection also has an internal, replaceable, repairable part= the shraeder core.

over torquing the flair nut/cap will deform the flair and reduce the ID, thus no way to remove the core without drilling the gauge port, not good.

only use o-ring caps and o-ring tools on 1/4" gauge ports with core. always...

king valve with no core? ehh no biggie
    Last edited by ch4man; 05-05-2016 at 09:55 PM. Reason: crappy keyboard, never my fault ;)
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn
    Yes the male end of the CRT
    I had to ream one of mine out.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Harrison View Post
    Can you clarify this statement? I have never had a fitting on a unit get collapsed by the CRT due to the double o ring seal. If you mean the male end on the CRT, if that happens due to the copper flare, at least you can ream or drill out that end without loosing the vacuum in the system.

pacnw, In all reality you should switch to vacuum rated hoses. If for no other reason than the fact that every couple of times you use the copper, you will or at least should be cutting and re-flaring the ends of the tub. Any little imperfections in the male flare will damage the flare seat on the tube and greatly increase the risk of leak on the next vacuum.
    I use the site recommended/suggested vacuuum set up; vcrt, 3/8" black vac rated hoses, vac tree.

I am trying to get info for our installers, they are the ones with the copper flare set up. Again, had some initial issues when I started here and this was found when we each did a unit at the same site. We had to get into their system afterwards and found this. I came to the conclusion it was their set up doing the "damage".

Sent from my Z777 using Tapatalk
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find some old charging hoses and cut the ends off of them and braze them to the quarter inch tubing..... then you can install some new core depressors and gaskets...... shouldnt damage anything any more than a regular set of charging hoses then.. I would do that using the core removal tool also....... lot better than using a freaking flare nut you have to wrench down.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Oprah/Greta 2020

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having worked on several racks over the years and doing gas conversions I've run into many a squinched dill core inside the shraeder. Torque Magee comes onto it and it deforms the head just enough tnprevent the dill core from being able to come out. I found to have fixed it by reaming out the hole with a reamer. Lots of broken dill cores. Guy I worked from made an evacuation manifold, came on to the flares and never did that again when he went to out them back in... I too learned. Unfortunately on racks there's no shortage of flare nuts with bonnets and silicone which seems to be free reign to tighten to 100 inch lbs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12