Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Carrier Chiller High Oil Pressure Alert

I tried looking up previous posts for my same scenario but didn't have any luck. So I apologize if this has been posted previously and answered.

Carrier Model # 23xrv3132nrvr450

A little back history on this chiller to get you up to speed. Chiller is 4 years old and wasn't maintained or looked at until recently when I was hired. For the first 4 years the only PM service done was rodding the Condenser because of constant 10 + degree approach temps. They don't have any daily logs or even the original startup materials for me to work with. Fortunately I was able to find the IOM shoved in the back corner.

Now for the reason for my post. During one of my first inspections of the chiller I'd noticed lots little black BB's floating in the Oil Sump (more than 30). Clearly visible through the sight glass. I brought this to the attention of the Facility Maintenance Engineer to which he assured me that it's nothing to worry about. I called our Carrier rep and they came out and said that the desiccant dryer in the compressors muffler had blown causing desiccant to travel through the system. Carrier performed the repair and also changed the oil filters and oil. The repair was finished about 4 months ago in December. We ran system for a short period but didn't have much for a heat load. So fast forwarding to today I noticed an Alert for high oil pressure. The oil pressure wouldn't maintain a constant pressure and was bouncing around from 50 - 78. The pressure changes in increments of 5 or greater every other second. Per the IOM I should expect between 20-28. The system had been running for several hours at this point.

Chilled water in - 50
    Chilled water out - 45
    Tower water in - 76
    Tower water out - 78
    Cooler SAT - 43.6
    Cond SAT - 79.6
    Oil Pressure - 50 to 78
    Oil Temp - 81.4

Any insight is greatly appreciated

J.

Post Likes
    Have you verified that the pressure transducers are giving you accurate readings??

Post Likes
    Yes I verified both the Oil Sump and Discharge Oil transducers. I did so by turning unit off and verifying readings were close to zero. I'n my case it showed 0.9 and fluctuated less than .5 up or down. That's all the IOM instructed you to do to verify both transducers. Is there another or better way to verify?

Post Likes
    Well it's best to start with actual gauges from my experience but you need to know where and how to hook them up. It is possible that the dessicant was not entirely cleared from the system and may be causing you this issue. Without knowing your experience with this equipment I can only suggest you contact your Carrier rep to return to site and let them figure it out. The IOM has other information that can be helpful but I'm not going to direct you here on the open forum.

Post Likes
    Hooked up gauges and verified transducers are working correctly. I'll attach a picture.

Post Likes
    Guess I can't post pics until 7 posts. Anyways gauges match digital readout. Discharge oil pressure reads 100-125 psi. Oil sump a constant 37 psi.

Post Likes
    Sounds like your pressure regulating valve is not working or plugged with desiccant debris possibly. I assume the's readings were taken with the chiller running.

Post Likes
    Correct with it running. Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    You are correct NYRB the pressure regulators isolation valves were closed. Opened them up and running great. Thanks again for your help!

Post Likes
    Check the oil pressure regulator iso valves towards the back of the vaporizer.

Post Likes
    Hi guys
    i have a problem in 19xrd carrier chiller
    oil temp 64.8
    brg temp 78.9
    oil pressure 186kpa
    oil temp & brg temp diffrence should be 3 but in my chiller above 10
    & noise also in comp vibration reading was normal so i checked in oil cooler so oil cooler in 57.9 & out 51.7 txv in 5.1 & out 11.1 is tht possible oil flow is less so pressure will be high thts y oil pressure getting high means oil cooler block i replaced the oil filter also
    pls help me out
    Bhushan ambekar
    ambekarbhushan2004@gmail.com

Post Likes
    Replace both txv's to oil cooler.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    you really need an email address to get better response!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast