Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Aggressive phone call

A man called and wanted to talk to a technician before scheduling a service call, so I spoke to him.

His story was this: His compressor failed so he bought one and had it installed by a guy who does HVAC on the side. It ran for a few days but then it didn't pump so he had the guy look at it again. He said it runs but doesn't pump. He searched online and decided it was either a bad compressor or a bad reversing valve. Then he asked me which one I thought might be the problem.
    I responded by asking him how his question would benefit my business if I gave free advice to people who call for it.
    His response was: "IF YOU WON'T ANSWER A CUSTOMER'S QUESTION THEN YOU'RE NOT WORTH A F**K!"
    I laughed at him and hung up.

After I thought about it, I then texted him the following:
    Your attitude makes it clear you're looking for free advice. Companies are not in business to give advice to cheapskates with an insulting attitude. You are NOT a customer. You are trying to not be a customer.

Then I blocked his number and told the receptionist to not answer the phone if he calls again.

Some people feel very entitled in that they expect me to give them free diagnosis or design a duct system so they can install it themselves. This guy just pushed me over the edge so I shut him down.

Do you guys get that kind of call and how do you deal with it?
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

2. Likes Ammar.almahdi, CircusEnvy, johoff34, TNPETE liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Too many variables to trouble shoot over the phone, then id say lets get you scheduled for 2 o'clock and have it checked out. they either cancel or go with it.

Post Likes
    As hars as it is, I would not have responded other than "Thank you, have a nice day"...I'm not disagreeing but responding in any matter to someone that is negative rarely results in anything good

5. Likes buttwheat liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would never have said the "how would it benefit my business?" Part.

"I can't tell from here, but if you'd like I can come and take a look for $xx."

pithy comments, no matter how true the observation, only reflect poorly on you, regardless of how good it feels in the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. Likes lkapigian, deadheaddave, LKJoel liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I usually tell them that without being there and troubleshooting the system I can not give them an answer. "Would you like to schedule a service call?" is what I say next.
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    His response was:"IF YOU WON'T ANSWER A CUSTOMER'S QUESTION THEN YOU'RE NOT WORTH A F**K!
    Wow, some people have all the nerve.
    Forget about it and move on. Who's got time for that crap.

Post Likes
    I wonder if he calls his doctor in the same way?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    I wonder if he calls his doctor in the same way?
    Of course he does, I learned and take so solice in that a long time ever ago....and many, not all, people get bad service because they are bad customers

Post Likes
    I am as vague as possible. Could be either compressor or rv. Or maybe something else. I'ts hard to say over the phone. I try to generate a service call out of it for 2 reasons.

1 liability

2 I want people to pay me to come out and see how badly they have screwed something up.

Some of my favorite calls have been assessing a diyer's situation.

13. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like to ask them to hold the phone nearer to the unit so I can make a more accurate telephone diagnosis of the possible problem.

"Hmmm . . . . I can't tell from here - can you hold the phone closer to the unit for me?"

After getting them to do this ridiculousness for a while I say that I'm not getting anything - it's very mysterious and will require a service call.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Be careful how you respond to a caller like that with the advent of yelp etc the person can post a negative post about you're company and the other fools who read it believe it and you can lose good clients to it have seen it happen
    i would have just politely asked him to schedule a service call or say i cant help you i am sorry and say good bye and hang up.

16. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    and if he was looking for the reaction you gave him with the text he just got you to stoop down to his level.
    Rule number one in customer service is NEVER give them an attitude and if they have one DON'T MATCH IT WITH YOURS.
    If i owned a company and YOU worked for me and i saw you do that you would get one warning.
    then the next time you would get let go.
    you need to get the attitude under control my friend.

18. Likes doug1111, buttwheat liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Or as my motto goes WITH OUT THE CUSTOMER you have NO deal heating and cooling.
    you need them just as much as they need you

20. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast