Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Discharging York vsd -time not discharging

Had to replace bleed resistor 1 or 2 on a yciv vsd. I waited and waited and eventually DC bus dropped to around 20 something vdc. Figured that was save. I had waited over a half hour for it to safely discharge. Not sure what happened but my socket accidently shorted to the top copper bus and KAPOW!!! littetally arc welded my socket to bus- so how do you safely discharge the DC bus when time isn't discharging and the a bleed resistor has failed.? Would rather not have to go through that again
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    There is a way but I won't say in open forum .
    Always check with a meter for both AC and DC voltage. Sometimes you have to walk away for overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This is why I'm asking for an insulated socket/ratchet set. Doing PMs on drives I like to check the lugs. When I can I wait but never more than 20-30 mins, sometimes the drive has to be shutdown as little as possible. If it can't be down that long, I note it and it doesn't get done. Of course I check with a meter but accidents happen.

4. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    JCI part number 031 00733 000 is a discharge probe for just this purpose....be forewarned...it is a bit pricey. there isn't much to it, i suspect the lawyers and insurance company made it this expensive. you can easily make a rudimentary one yourself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    Had to replace bleed resistor 1 or 2 on a yciv vsd. I waited and waited and eventually DC bus dropped to around 20 something vdc. Figured that was save. I had waited over a half hour for it to safely discharge. Not sure what happened but my socket accidently shorted to the top copper bus and KAPOW!!! littetally arc welded my socket to bus- so how do you safely discharge the DC bus when time isn't discharging and the a bleed resistor has failed.? Would rather not have to go through that again
    I make it a rule I always check power on everything before doing anything and use 2 different meters in most cases.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    JCI part number 031 00733 000 is a discharge probe for just this purpose....be forewarned...it is a bit pricey. there isn't much to it, i suspect the lawyers and insurance company made it this expensive. you can easily make a rudimentary one yourself.
    A bit pricey , $2500! There are other ways that work.
    Was helping one of our techs in west Texas about ten years ago with a TM 3 that would not discharge. He used a discharge stick but did not call back for a few hours. I got worried and called him to see if he was ok. First words out of his mouth " YOU DIDN'T SAY HOW LOUD IT WOULD BE , I HAD TO CHANGE MY SHORTS". I guess he thought it was going to be like turning off a light switch.

Post Likes
    Eye ye ye. So I'm not the only one. I absolutely checked both ac and DC- I said that in the original post ... When it was around 20 something I figured it was safe. But I was checking each pole to and the bus to ground and the plug on the logic board. What the hell did I do wrong?? Luckily I was using a cheap 1/4" drive retchet with a stubby plastic this insulated handle- welded the socket right to the bus bar- there's no way >30vdc could've done that. I waited a good half hour 45 minutes before digging in. Yes I to could've used another pair of pants. Just beutiful did I mention it was a data center were even though they have another chiller one down is a dyer emergency... However not as big of an emergency as blowing my arm off. So what's the make shift option?? Machine says less then >30vdc 300 Sec my a$$ apparently but I did check just not sure what I missed!!

Post Likes
    Trying to google that part number but not common up with anything- what is it like meter leads with a large power resistor across it or something? Yeah I could probably make one for less then $2500. Funny thing is all these company's preach safety first then scoff and through fits because they simply don't understand letting something sit over night especially in this case- don't think the self appointed safety gurus understand what it means to let a 200+ HP drive discharge overnight.
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Post Likes
    Yeah it's funny that they don't have a answer on how to do it safely but they can tell you to do it safely or get fired.
    The stick is like a pulling pole that you use for pulling 4160 v fuses. Fiberglass pole and some clamps. It's actually a real safe way to discharge the pole assy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev5372 View Post
    A bit pricey , $2500!...
    I forewarned you!

Post Likes
    I forewarned you!
    Jay, is that the same discharge probe used on TM-1? A black plastic probe with four or five led lights?
    Maybe I need to offer the one I have for sale.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Jay, is that the same discharge probe used on TM-1? A black plastic probe with four or five led lights?
    Maybe I need to offer the one I have for sale.
    That's what it looks like. We are supposed to have one floating around the shop somewhere, but I haven't seen it personally.

Post Likes
    Jay and KnewYork if had LEDs on it it is someone's truck and used as a light saber. May the forc...... O What ever!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast