Thread: What's the best free load calc. Program?

Post Likes

What's the best free load calc. Program?

Ive been commercial/industrial HVAC my entire carrier. Ive worked on my share of residential including doing enough side jobs mostly family and friends where Ive decided what size of a/c and furnace to install in "others" homes with great success. I must admit it has been by the old fashion way of "rule of thumb" (1 ton per 5 to 600 sq.ft. Depending how tight the homes are built). HOWEVER now that it's my own home I'm sizing up I want it perfect. Im terrible I know, but honest. Does anyone have a favorite software program or app. They like to do the load calc on a residential home. Preferably a free one.
    Thanks
    Mark

Post Likes
    Cool Calc is Free and ACCA approved and people seem to like it.....thing about doing J is learning to do it correctly, otherwise your back at assuming things and at square 1...Also you need to learn Manual S....

If you need help, feel free to email me, I do J and S all day every day

3. Likes yorkie820, DuctLife7926 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

Post Likes

Aircon Calculator

This is very interesting, I have trying to find something like this for my website that I could upload so my site visitors could size up their own air conditioners (Split system AC units). I still have not found anything or the ones I have found are really sloppy. Its not to get exact, it would be to get a rough idea.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-16-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Removed link to his company website

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks Throrope, I did look that up and I appreciate the suggestion. Mark

Post Likes
    If I was out to buy a load calc based on price it would be right-j mobile.

However I do not recommend you attempt this on your own unless you want to learn so that you can do it, moving forward.
    So there is load calculation software out there. In order to use the software properly you need to know how to perform a load calculation (by the book/manual j) and know how the software works. if you just buy the program you will likely type in the wrong information and get an incorrect load calc anyway.
    to do it right is to buy and learn manual J. and then adapt to software. Take training on the software.

In your case if I just wanted one load calc I would
    1) hire a 3rd party that performs load calculations as a service. Youll pay less for this one calc done with the best software by a knowledgable provider for less than the cost of the program.
    2) Find a contractor and offer to pay him for a load.
    3) if your working in the trade for your whole career you should ask your boss to do it for you for free.

Post Likes
    I've never really understood why a contractor would take the time to learn Manual J by reading the book and understanding the math or attending a 3 day class to learn all the math, and then spend the money to buy a software program that does the calculations and the math for them or possibly attend a training session for another 2 days on a software program. Baffles me.

Find a program that is approved and easy-to-use. If it's approved, it's earned your trust. If you put in an un-insulated wall instead of a R-13 wall, that's on you. If you put your direction of your house facing north instead of East, that's on you. Reading the book and understanding Manual J isn't going to correct this mistake for you on the software side of things. Everyone thinks Manual J is so friggin hard and complex. There are software programs out there that help you learn what you're trying to accomplish, and in the process, the end result still comes down to what you enter into the program.

Post Likes
    I found this on line
    http://www.loadcalc.net/

11. Likes 98HVAC liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm like you, I started with Carrier E20II and have moved from commercial/industrial to residential.
    The one I found with the least learning curve is Elite software.