Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Thumbs up Fluke 902 FC Meter

I am picking this up today, wondering if there's any feedback, looks like a good meter for pm's quick SH AND SC I have the fluke temp clamp that goes up to 2 1/2 inch pipe od, I think it is model 80pk-10 or whatever was 280$$ ouch, also have the fluke amp clamp, it has a wire so I don't have to place whole tool inside machine can clamp, and hang outside unit to get readings, its can test flame rods, i'm assuming flame sensors etc?
    Thanks guy any feedback is appreciated, I also have 3 other meters, I have a all out fluke 179 and a 334 I think, the small guy does everything the 902 does except microamps, and its smaller, but I plan to give it to my helper, I do that a lot, if you've seen posts, I take care of my guy who ultimately takes care of me !!!!
    I like the fluke connect feature, I can close it up get better measurements, and email them if wanted, im all about the advancing digital era hvac is entering, tool wise naturally....its all about the curve

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TBrazin View Post
    I am picking this up today, wondering if there's any feedback, looks like a good meter for pm's quick SH AND SC I have the fluke temp clamp that goes up to 2 1/2 inch pipe od, I think it is model 80pk-10 or whatever was 280$$ ouch, also have the fluke amp clamp, it has a wire so I don't have to place whole tool inside machine can clamp, and hang outside unit to get readings, its can test flame rods, i'm assuming flame sensors etc?
    Thanks guy any feedback is appreciated, I also have 3 other meters, I have a all out fluke 179 and a 334 I think, the small guy does everything the 902 does except microamps, and its smaller, but I plan to give it to my helper, I do that a lot, if you've seen posts, I take care of my guy who ultimately takes care of me !!!!
    I like the fluke connect feature, I can close it up get better measurements, and email them if wanted, im all about the advancing digital era hvac is entering, tool wise naturally....its all about the curve
    Dont care for the 902.... anyhow...... I bought an 80pk pipe clamp back in the late 90s I believe.... I think it was 80 bucks then..... and for a type k probe..... it was a steep price then..... of course they are very well made...... not like the clamps you get with FP and other brands.

The place I worked then preferred that everyone use the cooper box thermometer and they would provide them..... so had to go that..... and thats what I still prefer today....

Still use the smans though.... although about every clamp I have...... and I have quite a few... has something wrong with it....... and yes.... fieldpiece service is great....... lol.... but really..... wouldnt you prefer to buy something that you dont have to replace every season......cause it just quit working or the clamp broke....
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Oprah/Greta 2020

Post Likes
    oh... I also have a 334..... it eats batteries...... works fine but I think there must be a short somewhere in the power circuit or something never turns off..... cause you can turn it off..... but after a few days the batteries are dead..... its been relegated to the "I'll look at it when I am very very bored" bin....

Oprah/Greta 2020

4. Likes pwoodland564 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The 902 has been redesigned. Still, the resistance range is not high enough for complete checking ECM motors. I think it only goes to 50 K.
    Doug

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Corny do the 902's break? (cheap)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The 902 has been redesigned. Still, the resistance range is not high enough for complete checking ECM motors. I think it only goes to 50 K.
    What is required to test ECM motors I don't do much residential, new one goes to 60,000 ohms.

thanks
    Scott

Post Likes
    I don't get that, I have a cheapo home depot I HAD to buy one time, ideal I think it is 130$ or so, reads up to 200k ohms of resistance, I was working with the Honeywell bms room sensors, and to check w/t-stats that were in McDonalds office, I think they start around 20k, the fluke I had at the time only read to 9k, and this home depot 200k, is it that hard to get it to read up there? I mean they call it a hvac meter?

Post Likes
    its not what id call a cheap meter? its 269.99 mot the most expensive but fluke has a line of "cheap" meters that are 140 and a little higher...this I thought was a perfect midway meter?

Post Likes
    I would really like to know what you think of this meter after you have used it a bit.
    thanks
    Scott

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sstoner View Post
    What is required to test ECM motors I don't do much residential, new one goes to 60,000 ohms.

thanks
    Scott
    A clamp meter is a necessity but a decent DMM should always be in your arsenal if for nothing else than finding slight grounds.
    Most DMMs can read into the mega ohm range. Clamp meters only go into kilo ohms.
    With a DMM you can find slight grounds in compressors and motors that you won't catch with your clamp meter.
    Imagine this scenario: you have a blown fuse on a condensing unit. You check the compressor windings to ground with your clamp meter and it reads OL.
    You chock it up to a voltage sag (if you chock it up to anything), change the fuse. Unit runs and you leave. After running a while the fuse blows again. Now you're back, and this time (if you have one) you grab your cheap supco megger and it tests bad. Wasted call back and unhappy customer.
    If you had used your DMM, it might have picked up that 1 mega ohm ground, which didn't blow the fuse at first, but as the compressor ran, the ground grew stronger and finally popped.
    Obviously you could drag a megger around with you but I like to be able to diagnose motor failures with my normal meter that I have on every call. I can't recall any time I've missed a grounded motor with my DMM.

Also- a DMM isn't a substitute for a megger, but it can catch most insulation weaknesses that will produce problems.

Post Likes
    I have a meghometer in my arsenal, just looking for a quick good PM meter, that's all

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sstoner View Post

thanks
    Scott
    They want 100K or more measured from windings to ground. I just bought a Fieldpiec SC640 from Trutech. After one week, I like it very much.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Corny do the 902's break? (cheap)
    I think the 902 is about as unbreakable as any other fluke product. I just dont like the all eggs in one basket approach.

And of course I dont like meters with type k t couple temp functions cause I dont like or trust type k when its crammed in as a meter function....

Flukes are getting cheaper in quality though.... but so is everything else under the sun...... I always liked the old gray and red flukes.... those meters really held up well.

Look at the old 16 meters and now what do they have... the 116... compare the 2.... those old 16s are built like a tank compared to the newer ones built like a small car.

Oprah/Greta 2020

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast