Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    Had an issue that electrified the water pipes, and cast iron pipes in a rent house. We could not bond or add enough grounding rods to eliminate the problem. Two more 6 foot rods, ties to underground copper pipe to back yard hydrant. All existing grounding was proper. Had to have tenants move out because of shocking shower.

Problem was bad neutral at pole. power company says they are not liable for condition of power quality coming into the residence.

I felt exposed to a law suit even though I had done everything I can to safeguard my tenants.

How should I make this situation safer, in future situations.
    A "Bad Neutral at the Pole" is the responsibility of the Utility Provider, & Yes Sir! ...... It will Absolutely cause all kinds of hazardous problems within the building that is being sup[plied by the Utility.

I had a Customer with the same problem of getting shocked in various areas, & finally traced it out to the Pole. The Utility Provider is Duke Energy, & I called the Electrical Service Department, & they came out within two hours & fixed "Their Problem".

As far as Your "Utility" timjim, ... I'd go to the "Higher Political, & Governing Powers in Your State", & File a Complaint, as well as Request/ Subpoena, any document related to this incident, so as to show that none of it was your fault.
    ---------

Oops, ..... I just saw the date on this post, I replied to the initial post, cuz' the Topic came up as "New"/ "Active".
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I had a customer complaining about lights blinking when the compressor started on their heat pump, like that has never happened before right. I dig in to it, it has a start kit that is working properly, the voltage doesn't dip on start up, amp draw on start up was faster than my Fluke would capture at 100/sec recording value. I checked everything I could think of and came up blank at every turn. For some reason, out of desperation I guess, I stuck one probe on the ground wire and put the other probe in the ground, I had 60+ volts, what. How does this happen. I start checking connections all the way back to the panel and had the same results all the way. I called the city and explained the issue. They sent out a couple lineman. I told them what I found, they pulled the meter and checked line-line, line to neutral, line to ground neutral to ground, all readings normal. The guy said I don't see a problem. I said put one probe on ground and give me the other. So he did and I stuck the probe in the dirt. He said what did you do, so I showed him the probe in the dirt. He went WTF. I said that's what I thought. They dug for over an hour and finally found the ground plate was rotted off at the pole. They fixed that, the reading neutral to ground went away and so did the light flicker on compressor start.

I gotta say, that the ground plate was made of "Piss Poor Materials" for it to have rotted BNM. When I've seen this problem at the pole, ... It's either been caused by Storm Damage, a badly leaning pole that stressed the connections, or damage caused by a negligent road crew as the bush hogged around the Pole.

Good Job, at finding the Customer's Problem, BNM, & I'm gonna file this one away in my Mental File Cabinet, for another possible problem at the Utility Pole.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123