Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer drill

Post Likes

Hammer drill

Looking for some info on a good economical hammer drill for knocking holes in blocks. Wondering what you guys are using and like, and what to stay away from. I know hilti is premo but pricey. Going be one of those tools you only need every once in a while. Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    I have been thinking about the Milwaukee m18 1-1/4 M18 fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by shaworth1 View Post
    Looking for some info on a good economical hammer drill for knocking holes in blocks. Wondering what you guys are using and like, and what to stay away from. I know hilti is premo but pricey. Going be one of those tools you only need every once in a while. Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    I use a Bosch rotary hammer. Quick and efficient no matter what size of opening you need.

Post Likes
    I have a Bosch HD21-2, and it has worked great, but if you wanna make larger holes go with something that has spline drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have 100% Milwaukee tools, have the M18 fuel and the bigger ac powered one as well. Both work well ....

Know your limits - I have the # of the concrete 'boring machine (water drill) ' guy when the concrete is old hard and thick! 300 bucks a hole, but the homeowner pays it not me. Have to use them when we do minisplits sometimes ... 3" diameter hole.

Post Likes
    I use a hitachi spline (DH38YE). Have had it for 7 years or so with no problems. I don't know how you could live without one. Makes a nice clean 2 or 3" vent/comb air hole in any type of masonry in minutes.

Post Likes
    That is why I am thinking about replacing my 1959 Milwaukee. Can't get parts for it. The 2-1/2 core bit is wore to hell.
    Still works awesome though, Just don't makem like they used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhahvac View Post
    I have 100% Milwaukee tools, have the M18 fuel and the bigger ac powered one as well. Both work well ....

Know your limits - I have the # of the concrete 'boring machine (water drill) ' guy when the concrete is old hard and thick! 300 bucks a hole, but the homeowner pays it not me. Have to use them when we do minisplits sometimes ... 3" diameter hole.

9. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey Scott View Post
    I have a Bosch HD21-2, and it has worked great, but if you wanna make larger holes go with something that has spline drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bhahvac View Post

Charge that $300 to 5 customers and you just paid for your own coring drill.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Pretty sure mine's a Bosch. Those 'new' roto-hammers are totally sweet. Especially with those SDS bits.

If you ever used the old style, I'm talkin' over 30 years old, they were absolutely miserable !!

Keep in mind, with the newer style out there these days, gentle pressure will drill faster, make the tool last longer, and is easier on the hands. Did I say these new roto-hammers are totally sweet?

Post Likes
    Bosch Bulldog is good for drilling under 1.5" and it also has a hammer/chisel mode. Anything bigger get an SDS, but then your talking some bigger money. I think you can pick up a Bulldog for >$200 and a lowes type store. Or if you need bigger holes and they dont have to be pretty, can always drill a bunch of 1/4" holes around the perimeter of the hole then chisel it out.

The bulldog is nice because its case is no bigger than a sawzall case and can fit on the truck without taking up to much space. The SDS is more something I keep in the shop unless I know I am using it that day then I get it. Would say its case is something like 2' x 2.5' by 6" thick?

Post Likes
    Bosch Bulldog is good for drilling under 1.5" and it also has a hammer/chisel mode. Anything bigger get an SDS, but then your talking some bigger money. I think you can pick up a Bulldog for >$200 and a lowes type store. Or if you need bigger holes and they dont have to be pretty, can always drill a bunch of 1/4" holes around the perimeter of the hole then chisel it out.

The bulldog is nice because its case is no bigger than a sawzall case and can fit on the truck without taking up to much space. The SDS is more something I keep in the shop unless I know I am using it that day then I get it. Would say its case is something like 2' x 2.5' by 6" thick?

Post Likes
    Bosch Bulldog SDS. I have been using it for 10 years, works great.

Post Likes
    I have a Bosch also... not sure of the model #...

It is SDS style bit, angle motor, and will rip apart concrete.
    It has the regular drill, hammer drill, and chisel options.
    I have put a 2.5" coring bit into it... and drilled through brick and block.
    When I need a hole through a poured basement wall... I call the guy with the concrete cutting and boring co...
    My time is better spent on the install... that fighting a drill for 30 minutes.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast