Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

Thread: Heat Pump Help!

Post Likes
    I'm thinking that even if, lets say, half of the liquid refrigerant was at 150 F, , , could that cause a corresponding 600 psi condensation pressure (again remembering that with both CheckTXV valves wide open, and pressures nearly equal everywhere in the system).

Post Likes
    The flaw in your thought process is that you will not be developing much pressure if it is a clean shot from the outlet of the condenser to the inlet of the evaporator.

The other [potential] flaw in your thought process, for example, with an over charged unit creating 600 psig head, that is only the hot gas, not the liquid. You would probably have very high subcooling, meaning the liquid refrigerant would be much lower temp in the temp/press relationship thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDe View Post
    I'm thinking that even if, lets say, half of the liquid refrigerant was at 150 F, , , could that cause a corresponding 600 psi condensation pressure (again remembering that with both CheckTXV valves wide open, and pressures nearly equal everywhere in the system).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mattshvac View Post
    Never got a SH/SC reading and it has to be possible because I watched it happen with my own eyes. The 3/4 line goes from lukewarm to so hot you can not keep your hand on it (keep in mind this process takes about 60-120secs to trip the high pressure switch).
    This from post #61

There is obviously some serious heating going on. . .

Thinking

I'm still thinking
    Last edited by ChuckDe; 04-16-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Out of respect for BBeerme's earlier posts

Post Likes
    He had both gauges on the high side of the system. Remember, it's a heat pump. When in cooling, those ports at the outdoor unit are one high and one low side connection. Then when you switch to heating, that big fat pipe becomes the discharge. So both those pipes are high side.

What he explained would be perfectly normal.

Regarding the temp, nothing wrong with discharge temps too high to comfortably touch. Typically, once they get over 200*F, then you are getting close to something bad going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDe View Post
    This from post #61

There is obviously some serious heating going on. . .

Thinking

I'm still thinking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmith46 View Post
    Sounds like we have a correct answer.
    To the OP, on a heat pump never hook your gauges low side to the 'suction' valve. Its only suction pressure in cooling mode, in heat mode its a high pressure vapor line. There is a low pressure port by itself above the service valves.
    Sounds like your also overcharged, check charge by subcooling.
    just did that yesterday and my boss reminded me to go to the true suction. not much of an installer.

I had more fun at my grandparents, without tv, smartphones or cars.

Post Likes
    d
    Last edited by ChuckDe; 04-20-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: attempting to delete

Post Likes
    Fan not coming on in heat is his most likely problem. Since he stated at some point that the system I think is dual fuel...the blower relay in the dual fuel kit isn't wired correctly, causing the blower not to energize in heatpump mode. I suspect that since the OP was having a hard time relating exactly what was happening with this system, he probably was in way over his head. After over 100 posts, he never returned to update anyone. He probably went back and realized he didn't have his suction hose hooked up to the common suction port in heat mode...when he found that, he realized the blower wasn't running in 1st stage heat and subsequently corrected his wiring issue. Just a guess, but it's my two cents worth.

Post Likes
    It's only been 3 years almost. He still might get back with us .....

Post Likes
    You can push it through at a 1497 fpm velocity and 0.24 sp. Of course that not counting the return sp for a necessary total.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    How can both the suction and discharge be 600 psig?

Think about it.

Keep thinking . . . . . .

Keeeep thinking . . . . . .
    The only way I could see that happening is if both gauge handles were open and the gauges were bleeding the pressures together.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112