Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No cry gloves?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I have some good calluses, but sheet metal does not seam to care to much about those.
    Don't you watch the movies?
    Remember - Chicks dig scars!
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robber View Post
    Don't you watch the movies?
    Remember - Chicks dig scars!
    The wife could care less about my scars at this point. Now when I come home with a new cut she just shakes her head.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Remember gloves are safety equipment and should be supplied by your company.
    Truth.

Any employer worth a $h!t should be providing gloves to employees.

If they are not you need to start looking.

Post Likes
    You mean looking for another job?

Jeez, don't think whether or not the employer bought my gloves would be very high on the list of reasons I'd be looking for another employer.

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Truth.

Any employer worth a $h!t should be providing gloves to employees.

If they are not you need to start looking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    You mean looking for another job?

Jeez, don't think whether or not the employer bought my gloves would be very high on the list of reasons I'd be looking for another employer.
    Really?

At what point would you start looking?

Respirator?
    Arc Flash?
    Fall protection?
    Hard hat?

If they don't regularly provide you with a $10 pair of gloves what makes you think they will provide you with a $1k multi gas detector to protect your life?

If a company cannot buy a $10 pair of gloves for a employee then I would absolutely start looking.

Post Likes
    I've probably had the same pair of gloves for over ten years, so no, that would not even be a consideration in my decision on who I worked for.

Really?

At what point would you start looking?

Respirator?
    Arc Flash?
    Fall protection?
    Hard hat?

If they don't regularly provide you with a $10 pair of gloves what makes you think they will provide you with a $1k multi gas detector to protect your life?

If a company cannot buy a $10 pair of gloves for a employee then I would absolutely start looking.

Post Likes
    I've probably had the same pair of gloves for over ten years, so no, that would not even be a consideration in my decision on who I worked for.
    Do you have an arc flash kit with gloves?

Post Likes
    No. I don't work on anything over 480.

But I am heavy on prevention when it comes to electrical safety. For example, probably been at least three or four times during the previous 12 months I seen techs open a disconnect with their face right in front looking in.

I slowly walk over and ask them to step away. Explain what I just witnessed them doing. And have a discussion on how not to put yourself in dangers way. Same when I see someone leaning on the metal cabinet while troubleshooting. In a calm voice I ask them to step away, and we have a discussion. I explain how electricity is looking for a way to get them in the ICU.

Do you have an arc flash kit with gloves?

9. Likes CircusEnvy, Everlong liked this post
    Post Likes
    The company should be concerned about you . They have time and money invested in you. JCI is big on the safety at least our branch. True concern that you go home the same way you came in the morning.
    All the big outfits are going that way. The big customers are looking at how your Insurance claims are going. If you are having a lot claims they don't want you on site because it can cause them trouble if you get cut/hurt.
    Safety can be a PIA if you don't want to do it don't , that's on you and your family. Have fun going home and tell the kids. Look what dad did today! Cut my hand and tendons now we get to live in a van down by the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    No. I don't work on anything over 480.

Ask your company who obviously doesn't provide you with work gloves to get you some NFPA 70e training also.

ETA- Just so you know, it's required on anything over 50 volts, and your electrical rated gloves need to be exchanged for new ones yearly to stay compliant (about $150/pr).

12. Likes buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    Used to do a lot of work out at NASA for a previous contractor I worked for. NASA implemented a policy that you had to wear the arc flash equipment on anything over 120. Which was totally stupid, since more people die from working on 120 than any other voltage.

My employer was the only contractor who complied. All the others just laughed at NASA. Our service calls became three to four times the cost of the other contractors since we were following their rules. They finally told us to stop since, after all, no one in the HVAC dept had ever had a problem with electrical injuries.

Bottom line, I'm not gonna do anything I think is unsafe. If anyone else in our company wants the arc flash gear, then more power to them, my employers would probably get it.

And if you need it to be safe, then by all means, be sure to wear it.

I could tell several stories, but it's hardly worth the time and space, here and now.

EDIT:
    Why don't you ask Timebuilder if he wears arc flash gear while on the job. He probably knows more about electricity than anyone on this forum.

Ask your company who obviously doesn't provide you with work gloves to get you some NFPA 70e training also.

Post Likes
    Just for the sake of argument I use I think it is G-Force Maxi-foam nitrile palm gloves. I can pick up a dime with them and have never gotten a cut with them on. To be fair I seldom get a cut working bear handed with 26 ga metal or even lighter gauge pipe. I use to wear leather gloves quite a bit but these new gloves I wear from the time I start a call till the time I start to do the paperwork. I find my hands stay cleaner which means the customers house stays cleaner.

Post Likes
    EDIT:
    Why don't you ask Timebuilder if he wears arc flash gear while on the job. He probably knows more about electricity than anyone on this forum.
    Knowledge doesn't mean safe work practices. We have had 2 separate incidents with master electricians in Texas that were fatal just guess what they weren't wearing.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast