Post Likes

Taylor PH 71 soft ice machine is driving me nuts!

Its an old machine (around year 2003) and I bought it to repair it.

I have done a thorough cleaning of the machine exterior and interior.
    Fixed a screw-issue with the drive coupling. ( the beater did not turn when the mix got thicker and the resistent increased, the screws did not grip the axel enough to turn the beater)
    Replaced the refrigerant with proper weight and type. ( the barrel was only going down to -4 celcius when it should go down to around -18 celcius )

Now i am stuck in a loop when the machine says it:s locked and must perform a heating cycle.
    The heating is perfomed but at the end, when the cooling is about to start the machine starts beeping with fault code: HPCO COMPRESSOR.
    The manual says: turn off power, wait 5 minutes, turn on, clear fault.
    However - when the fault is cleared - the machine have not gone through a whole heating cycle and wants to perform another heatcycle - with the same result.

Is there any way I can bypass this heatcycle loop and get the machine to start cooling the mix and make ice cream?
    Does anyone have any tip on why this HPCO COMPRESSOR fault occur on a regular basis at the end of the heat cycle?

Best regards
    Beppe34

Post Likes
    You can turn the machine off, drain the mix and do a brush clean and that will take it out of freezer lock and let it go into the freeze cycle without doing another heat mode.

Your refrigeration system is under the heaviest load at the beginning of the cool phase during heat cycle.

In case you don't know, HPCO is high pressure switch tripping. Did you have your gauges on the machine when its running to see the pressures?

If its a water cooled machine, make sure you have good water flow through the condenser.

If its an air cooled machine make sure the condenser is clean and the condenser fan motor works properly.

3. Likes caheiman30 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you very much for your answer.

I had a professional to replaced the refrigerant ( i am not a professional coolant-technician ) and I think he overcharged the system. The HPCO fault is triggered when the temp in barrel and hopper are high when the cooling starts.
    If I let the ice-cream mix cool to room temperature after a heating cycle the compressor runs and the machine works fine.

I noticed that when the "cool"-guy did the refrigerant work he did not have a vacuum pump and filled the system with maybe 1oz more than specification. The fact that the system was not vacuumed and filled with slightly more refrigerant than specified is probably causing the HPCO fault.

I will call him again and ask him to come and measure things up and fix this issue.

Best regards
    /beppe34

Post Likes
    Those Taylor machines with the heat cycle were my least favorite

Sent from the van with a/c on
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    Some would just act qwirky going in or out of heat treat - this is done to kill off bacteria in mix. But just seems like a bad idea to having that mix in there , thinking people haven't washed out machine properly

Post Likes
    I am not eating the produced soft ice at the moment -- I have mix in the machine just to see how it works and perform.
    When the machine is working like it suppose to - I will do a cleaning and fill with fresh mix and THEN enjoy the soft ice.

During the testing of the machine I have wasted about 12 liters of mix

Post Likes
    How long was the system open?
    Quote Originally Posted by beppe34 View Post
    Thank you very much for your answer.

I had a professional to replaced the refrigerant ( i am not a professional coolant-technician ) and I think he overcharged the system. The HPCO fault is triggered when the temp in barrel and hopper are high when the cooling starts.
    If I let the ice-cream mix cool to room temperature after a heating cycle the compressor runs and the machine works fine.

I noticed that when the "cool"-guy did the refrigerant work he did not have a vacuum pump and filled the system with maybe 1oz more than specification. The fact that the system was not vacuumed and filled with slightly more refrigerant than specified is probably causing the HPCO fault.

I will call him again and ask him to come and measure things up and fix this issue.

Best regards
    /beppe34

Post Likes
    Been so long I've seen one of these units , but think glycol needs to be replaced after X number of running hours. I've got the manual for that somewhere. 2003. Hmm 12+ years

Sent from under a shady tree

Post Likes
    The rubber hoses for the glycol start to deteriorate and will plug up the glycol filter as well.

11. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Was trying to point him in that direction to check glycol level and related

Post Likes
    Not recommended considering there is an issue with the system not passing a heat cycle but, most Taylor products have a jumper pin on the board for testing purposes. This would put the machine in a "clean" state and bypass heat-treatment. Service manual should the info on which pins to jump.