Thread: Carrier Heat Pump- Did I get a shoddy deal and install?

Post Likes

Confused Carrier Heat Pump- Did I get a shoddy deal and install?

I had a nice Carrier heat pump installed two years ago. It is an Infinity 25hnh530a310. The indoor unit that was installed is the fb4cnf036t00acaa.

I received a few estimates. I wanted a carrier and this guy seemed to offer the best "deal". It's a licensed father/son company and they have been in business for many years.

I began to think my lead installer had a lack of knowledge when he was trying to get the heat strips to activate, but couldn't. He told me I needed a new thermostat. I had a new Rite-Temp and the specs should have worked fine, but I purchased a heat pump Carrier touch n go tstat. I finally got him to come back out and he had a difficult time figuring out the connections. I knew I was in trouble when he said all these new tstats were too complicated.

Anyhow, I've been through two winters with high bills. The tstat kicks on and seems not to heat with the regular heat pump. After a bit, the aux heat comes on and heats. The aux heat is on today and the temp is 47 outside. The aux heat seemed to bear the main part of heating this winter, but I've noticed it's the only part that is actually heat this spring when temps are in the 40s and 50s plus.

Do you think the components are too mismatched to work? Maybe something isn't hooked up properly? I trusted this installer initially, but now I'm wondering about his "skills".
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Jshro; 03-26-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    At 47° your heat pump should be able to handle the house with no back up heat. If it doesn't something is wrong. What that something is is hard to say from here. It could be stat configuration, control connections, air flow, a refrigerant issue or maybe even improperly sized. You need to contact the company and have them send out some one with more experience/intelligence and if they don't have one call in a better company, then fight with the installer over who pays for what it takes to get it to work since according to you it never has worked right.

3. Likes Jshro liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I think I'm on my own as far as the cost. His quote said the indoor unit was to be a variable speed, but I figured out this wasn't. The install is a few years old and I suspected problems, but didn't do anything about it.
    I've just learned my lesson with that company. The installer is the owner.
    I'll probably have to eat the cost and have someone more qualified come out and review the install.
    I'm still upset about the pairing of the Infinity outdoor with the builder grade indoor component. He didn't specify exact models on his quote. I just trusted it would be matched appropriately. Turns out they are scratch and don't units from the local supply house.
    Do you think it would be worth the cost to replace the indoor blower? I'm doubting it would be. I just don't want someone to see me as an easy upsell if I'm already questioning the pairing.

Post Likes
    You really don't have an Infinity....I'd revisit your proposal , not even sure if that pairing gets an AHRI match....

6. Likes Jshro liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's interesting now that you mention it. The pop on "badge" on the front says Infinity.

Post Likes
    I believe the rating with that combo is 13.5 if it has the right valve installed. Is the cost worth it to upgrade the air handler to get a matched system and the 15 seer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshro View Post
    That's interesting now that you mention it. The pop on "badge" on the front says Infinity.
    You don't have an Infinity System, you don't even have an infinity thermostat....Infinity is a communicating " System"....your are not getting the benefits that come with a System, but a basic 2 stage set up....a basic 2 stage outdoor would work as well as what you have

Post Likes
    The specs say the txv is factory installed.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll look into the cost of upgrading and/or just have a more informed company come out.
    I hate that I paid for something that I basically have to redo.

Post Likes
    Where are you located?

Post Likes
    Southwest Indiana.

Post Likes
    find you a Carrier dealer to come fix it for you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshro View Post
    The specs say the txv is factory installed.
    Back in 2013 there was NOT a factory valve installed on the FB airhandler.....

Later in 2015 with the new SEER requirements....the FB does come with a factory valve......

Your dataplate definitely shows the older model FB and says piston installed.....So unless they added the valve as an accessory-you do not have one.

You got the "deal" alright and it is easy to see they had to be really cheap.....That "infinity" outdoor unit is wasted without the controller and communicating indoor airhandler
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    I wonder if the cost to upgrade the air handler and thermostat would be worth any energy savings I would get..

Post Likes
    And would the cost to add the proper valve be worth it?
    I'm wondering if I have any recourse with this guy. I feel like him putting in a mismatched system and probably not installing it correctly is a big issue. I see his yard signs in front of a lot of homes...
    I complained that his quote had a variable speed air handler on it and that is not what I received. He just replied he was trying to give me the best "deal". I wondering ho long this system will last. My energy bills are more than with my old system.

Post Likes
    I'm not an attorney so I can't give legal advise but I do t think it would hurt to have a conversation with one. If you have a signed contract and did not get what was in the contract you may have recourse.

Post Likes
    We don't get involved with legal discussions here.

Thread closed.

20. Likes lions_lair liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in