Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I'm w/servicefitter! A couple of adjustable's and NO leaks! Same customers for YEARS and YEARS.

It does not mean you are doing it right as per manufactures specs
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Better be testing those joints per OEM instructions too. There's a reason Daikin wants 550psig on the test.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Flaring copper has been done for a LONG time before torque wrenches came out.
    Copper use to be Virgin.Today is anybody's guess.I KNOW how to make a flair with 'what ever 'tool is provided.I 'understand the effect that mashing copper has as I was Trained on to do such.
    Main 'problem is,the rook smashes the copper FLAT into the block(bull/china shop)which leads to a 'limited torque applied device to alleviate the pressure applied which equates to,no proper training of said rook,and the Tool Makers are happy.
    I still have my Dad's tool's and some are from the '40's.
    A 45 degree is Still a 45 degree,Today.
    Teach Them 'how,and They will learn.Throw Them out into the World with nothing and You get what you have.
    No matter how long you have been doing this,
    Go back and reread the Basic's.You WILL Learn something.
    Why is it called,an Act of GOD when IT has Nothing to do with Him?
    Will of the Devil would be more appropriate IMO.Just Saying.
    PSALMS, 18 & 25.
    I am Tired of High Efficiency Propaganda.

4. Likes kamersoutdoor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I started doing mini splits with a std torque wrench and crows feet. Unfortunately, there are some makes and models you cannot get to with this method, so I bought a flare but toque wrench set. Knock on wood, I've done 40 units now with no leaks.

Post Likes
    Does anyone use Flaretight seals.

Post Likes
    Good flaring tool, Crescent wrench, and soap bubbles.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by samtheman View Post
    I did a high dollar mini-split install this past summer and bought a set of Yellow Jacket torque wrenches because I wanted absolutely everything to be on spec. It was the torque handle with open end heads for the various sizes, not flare heads, open end. I would think your wrench with actual flare crow's foot adapters would be a better option then the YJ kit.
    If anything other than an open end wrench is needed........ you're probably over torqued anyways!
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Never used one until about 4 years ago. Would occasionally have a leak in one of the flairs which really irritated me just for the time sake alone. Counter guy at RSD gave me one of those mother-in-law looks when I turned down buying one that they sell & told me I was really making a mistake. So I purchase the kit, have used it since & never have had one leak. I'm sold on them.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

10. Likes jrbenny liked this post.
    Post Likes
    buttwheat, LOL, a good one.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I don't use a torque wrench. I do use a yellow jacket orbital flare tool. And I love this stuff http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....Thread-Sealant
    I put this on all my vacuum/ refer joints helps your hose gaskets too.

I've thought about getting a torque wrench set, but using the nylog would trough off the spec Required torque. Over tightening is an issue with the sealant. A 10" and 8" Crescent is what I use. I very very very rarely have a leak.

Pressure testing to 400-500psi is important but the real critical part with minis is to pull a <500 vacuum and have it hold. Everyone says this, but my experience has been that very few actually do it every time.
    -"There always seems to be enough money to do it right the second time"

Post Likes
    I've got the CPS ones. They're ok, a little hard to interpret. It's like they retrofitted the head for the application and there's a cross reference table to interpret the "real torque." The YJ ones look nicer, IMO, though the heads are kinda funky and look like they might be challenging to get into some tight spaces.

15. Likes tostaos liked this post.
    Post Likes

17. Likes tostaos liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12