Thread: PRIMER on Dual Fuel Heating and Cooling Systems

Post Likes

Smile PRIMER on Dual Fuel Heating and Cooling Systems

EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) offers a concise (639 Kb) six-page Primer on Dual Fuel Heating and Coooling Systems.

You may find this PDF attachment a convenient resource.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

2. Likes PaulMillner liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Interesting article.

Thank You Dan

Post Likes
    That about sums it all up pretty well. It's the reason I'm looking at a dual fuel set-up to replace a 20 year old A/C unit and 14 year old furnace.

I have one question on this topic. With a dual fuel system, should you size the heat pump for the cooling load or the heating load? I'm on the border of zone 2 & 3. I think with a heat pump sized for my cooling load, I would be able to reach the economical balance point before the thermal balance point. My house is too small to make a 2 stage heat pump economical. I'm hoping I can at least afford an Infinity 80% Furnace. A 90% unit isn't economical for a dual fuel set-up with my size house.
    I'm still waiting on a couple quotes to get a better feel for pricing form the local HVAC contractors. I wish they could just give me an equipment price list, then I can pick the most economical solution myself. I ran 18 different combinations of furnaces A/C Heat Pumps between Carrier and Trane and some of the premium systems might be economical, but I'm taking WAG's at the pricing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in