+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-purposing refrigerant jugs?

Post Likes
    If you cut them in half and paint them they work good for planters. Made some for my Mom decades ago. Sorry no pictures, they didn't have digital cameras yet.

There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    It really looks like my sman squarepants. I lead a sheltered life and have not seen the Minion movies. But you are right. However, I have now given someone an idea for an empty r290.
    I can see the sman squarepants. As for Minions, you must not have children or grandchildren.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    You can make BBQ grills, smokers, small-space woodstoves, or . . . . compressed air tanks. <g> It used to be easier before reclaiming / reycling but now the disposable tanks have check valves in the OEM valve so you have to graft on some real valves. If you have just started welding - I would avoid any pressuried applications at least until after your welding certifications are 100%. <g>

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by joejax View Post
    Before the sh** storm bears down; I have no intentions of re-filling or pressurizing said tanks. I got a new MIG welder and was searching through the scrap pile for things to practice on and with all these 404 jugs laying around, it got me wondering.

Has anybody cut them apart and made something? I was thinking of a few things....
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    A dose of 90 weight gear oil to coat the inside used to make them a pretty long time.

PHM
    --------

Can't do this. They are not internally treated to prevent rust and eventual rust through.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Air valves were once sold at flea markets to convert to air tanks.
    One guy made a small forge with one. He lined the inside with fire brick probably partials.

There used to be a Rio Grande float race between two bridges here. A service manager tried
    to get his guys interested in using the tanks as floats like a pontoon boat.

I had a jug grill once but it was cut vertically (the long side) and hinged. I eventually burnt a hole in it.
    I don't remember the $$ but it wasn't so much that I wanted to make my own.

I made one into a recovery jug before the machines were around. I had a valve on the bottom and would
    bleed refrigerant to lower the temp/pressure. I could recover quite a bit with it. It's still around here somewhere.

Lennox sold refrigerant in the early 70's in jugs that were round. I wish I had saved some of those. Would
    have made a good boat buoy.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    A dose of 90 weight gear oil to coat the inside used to make them a pretty long time.

PHM
    --------
    The EPA made the rule because of this guy...

Name:  HVAC Stoner.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  200.7 KB

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    I know an idiot that overfilled a disposable drum to the point of failing and ended up suing DuPont and winning.....thank God he is no longer in the trade, but an insurance adjuster .....go figure.

Sent through Tapatalk, even though they ruined it with "upgrades"...
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Post Likes
    I believe you will find the rule made by the DOT.

PHM
    --------

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I believe you will find the rule made by the DOT.

PHM
    --------
    Same guy caused the rule!

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

Post Likes
    Sounds right government make a rule for one or two instances.
    BTW is that guy the cause of the ozone hole too?
    How about climate change also?

There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robber View Post
    Sounds right government make a rule for one or two instances.
    BTW is that guy the cause of the ozone hole too?
    How about climate change also?

The dude has been busy. But he drives a Prius... that uses a coal-fired electric plant to recharge his ride.

I heard that Dos Equis is looking at him to be their new spokesman.

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Post Likes

Who the Hell is this stoned, coal hating, Prius driving, freak?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joejax View Post
    Who the Hell is this stoned, coal hating, Prius driving, freak?
    He is our latest target! Poor guy, he is Nick's Handyman replacement. You asked.

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Post Likes
    Ok....so I'm selling these World War 2 era replicas of bombs if anybody is interested...

I gotta figure out how to post pics with this flip phone.

Post Likes
    you used to be able to go into western auto and kmart and buy the kit to convert them into air tanks. i actually have 2 fifteen pound cylinders one r12 and one r22.

Post Likes
    I have a 50 pounder over 20 years old. Waiting for it to rust through.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    you used to be able to go into western auto and kmart and buy the kit to convert them into air tanks. i actually have 2 fifteen pound cylinders one r12 and one r22.

17. Likes samgevas liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Question. If you are not going to transport the tank does the DOT have any jurisdiction?

Post Likes
    I use some for ash collectors for my smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    As I read the actual law the prohibition is not on refilling. What is prohibited is transporting the cylinder after it has been refilled.

What is interesting to me that originally not-refilling relied entirely on the integity of the user to ensure compliance. But as soon as reclaiming became the law-of-the-land and recycle cylinders were routinely available for sale - the user intergity was apparently deemed to be lacking as anti-fill check valves suddenly appeared on all other cylinders. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Question. If you are not going to transport the tank does the DOT have any jurisdiction?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the replies, everybuddy. I sure don't need another air tank, I rarely use the store bought one I have, I usually use the nitrogen for emergencies or the many air compressors laying around.

Speaking of air compressors, I converted a belt driven, ultra low temp compressor into a decent air unit. Works good, nice and quiet, I painted my truck with it. Changed out the oil, piped to old air tank.

I have done a lot of the ox/acet welding with the flux rods with good results and the old arc welder comes in handy for the thick stuff and usually turns out ugly. Not much experience with the MIG though, been wanting one for a long time.

Definitely like the grill ideas, I was thinking of a 2 part smoker type deal too. My neighbor is a wind chime nut, says we can cut them to various sizes and see what happens, I'm skeptical after the beer bottle cutting experiment didn't work so well....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in