+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anybody else find it hard to work with Carrier?

Post Likes

Does anybody else find it hard to work with Carrier?

I've owned my service company for over 15 years and find it very hard to work with Carrier. I can't even get the sales guy to give me pricing. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make dealing with them easier?

Post Likes
    Suggest to the sales guy, you are looking at Trane or Lennox... and tell him all the cool things they offer....

And be SURE to explain the customer service from the sales rep...

Problem is... you may have to follow through on your comments...
    Which, if you get NO customer service from Carrier, may not be the worst thing that happened to you.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    They want you to tell them numbers sometimes...I moved $250k in equipment last year, gimme some good pricing and I can do the same with you. They of course want faithfulness, our minimum is $50k per year, not sure I'll make it since I'm afraid of their union guys building the product who were told your jobs are gone in the next three years.

Might I suggest you look at Ruud/Rheem also.

4. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Chase has a point on being suspicious of the quality that might be coming out of the factory in the near future. But to your question, I would use their CE application and you can set up your account with the multiplier, it checks local inventory and you can order from it. Carrier Enterprise app. Also very useful for documentation for diagrams etc

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by godamajin View Post
    Chase has a point on being suspicious of the quality that might be coming out of the factory in the near future. But to your question, I would use their CE application and you can set up your account with the multiplier, it checks local inventory and you can order from it. Carrier Enterprise app. Also very useful for documentation for diagrams etc
    That's a good idea. My biggest problem is their people. The more I can bypass the easier it should be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    They want you to tell them numbers sometimes...I moved $250k in equipment last year, gimme some good pricing and I can do the same with you. They of course want faithfulness, our minimum is $50k per year, not sure I'll make it since I'm afraid of their union guys building the product who were told your jobs are gone in the next three years.

Might I suggest you look at Ruud/Rheem also.
    I was a Ruud dealer for 9 years... moved away in 2011... to AlliedAir (Lennox Clone).
    I still do some Rheem now and then, and some ICP (Day/Night and Tempstar).
    I am certified in AlliedAir, Rheem, and ICP on the new higher SEER VRV stuff.

One thing I learned: NO one company is gonna rule my co... PERIOD. As soon as you commit to one brand... here comes all the 'programs' and 'policies'... which sap your profits.
    NO WAY is that gonna happen again.

I sell my CO... not the brand... Our idea of value for the customer... is a clone brand. Same stuff as the big name... without paying for advertising. When customers realize the game being played in equipment... they are quick to go with a contractor who takes care of THE CUSTOMER... not represents a big name.

I will probably do something in the $80-90K range of equipment this year... If I do some of the high end stuff... may break $100.
    Next year is the year I am going for $100K...

BTW: The co is a one man shop with an install crew.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I was a Ruud dealer for 9 years... moved away in 2011... to AlliedAir (Lennox Clone).
    I still do some Rheem now and then, and some ICP (Day/Night and Tempstar).
    I am certified in AlliedAir, Rheem, and ICP on the new higher SEER VRV stuff.

One thing I learned: NO one company is gonna rule my co... PERIOD. As soon as you commit to one brand... here comes all the 'programs' and 'policies'... which sap your profits.
    NO WAY is that gonna happen again.

I sell my CO... not the brand... Our idea of value for the customer... is a clone brand. Same stuff as the big name... without paying for advertising. When customers realize the game being played in equipment... they are quick to go with a contractor who takes care of THE CUSTOMER... not represents a big name.

I will probably do something in the $80-90K range of equipment this year... If I do some of the high end stuff... may break $100.
    Next year is the year I am going for $100K...

BTW: The co is a one man shop with an install crew.
    I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I was a York dealer up until recently. I moved around a $100K in York equipment for the first few years but then they wanted me to become a "liberties" dealer and pay $700 a year for it. My pricing on equipment was still okay so I reluctantly paid it. Then my cost of air quality control parts nearly doubled, and my cost on equipment went up 30%. This year I told them I wasn't going to continue the program and I started buying a lot of Ameristar (Same as American Standard) and Goodman. I learned my lesson by committing to one brand and I will never make that mistake again!

9. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The Carrier distributor around here is horrid to work with especially anything to do with any of their many warranty issues
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    The Carrier distributor in my are is equally terrible. Most special orders never show up on time due to them forgetting to order it. They have admitted this many times. Have had many parts show up only to be the wrong thing.....and don't get me started on warranty parts. Holy sh;t I'm pretty sure you can file for bankruptcy easier. Parts usually cost about double and units are way overpriced. I cringe when I know I have to go there.

Post Likes
    Hmmm...

I have never done Carrier as a brand... have repaired them.

Recently, have taken on ICP as a secondary brand...

Is ICP as bad as Carrier? Seems the local shop has really GOOD customer service...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Trying to get warranty out of them for a customer is a royal pain in the A_S. When customers ask me to get them warranty, I tell them to call someone else or I'll do the work and they can deal with the warranty themselves.

Post Likes
    We wanted to buy $250,000 worth of air-cooled chillers from Carrier for our process cooling application. Our local rep straight up told me that Carrier doesn't sell air cooled chillers. Very strange considering https://www.carrier.com/commercial/e...oled-chillers/

I find this sort of thing disturbingly common in the industrial world. You have so many companies with great products, but all of their distributors are just utterly worthless.

Post Likes
    At the lowly residential level...
    The BIG 3 + Rheem... all seem to have attitude issues...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Been installing ICP/Comfortmaker for 13 years, haven't had any issues besides the TXV thing a few years back, and a few coil problems. Seems to be all good now. Always get great support from the distributor if I need it.

17. Likes Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Our carrier now charges 50$ if we use them to fill out our warranty claims instead of us doing it on the computer. Only company that would charge you to handle their equipment. Others will charge a 50$ fee if not there logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in