+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing blower wheel in Daikin wall-mount; dealing with mystery noise.

Post Likes

Removing blower wheel in Daikin wall-mount; dealing with mystery noise.

Daikin W/M

Model: FTX24NMVJU

So I've got a ductless system I installed for a customer about 4-5 months ago in a new construction setting. I told him (of whom is actually a well-known acquaintance, electrician that does work for me now and again) not to use the unit until all drywall etc was finished as not to fill the unit up with dust.

Well, he didn't listen to me. As we speak the unit is absolutely filthy.

The main issue, I'm getting a noise that initially sounded like something (packing material, whatever) could be stuck in the blower wheel. I stopped by there yesterday to take a quick look, removed the outer shroud of the unit, lifted the evap coil on the left side, took a peak down into the blower wheel, also inspected the blower wheel as best I could through the louver assembly. Didn't see anything abnormal. It wasn't a pressing issue to get resolved and I was there later in the day, so I took off figuring I'd come back and dismantle the unit further to take a better look.

So, first concern. I've installed lots of Mitsubishi, and about half as many Daikin units (of which have been quite dependable - haven't really had to dig into them yet, my bad for not knowing my product better). Mitsubishi, removing the blower wheel is a snap. Looking closer at the Daikin unit, it seriously looks as though it's not possible to pull the blower wheel without removing the unit from the wall.

This unit would be a nightmare to remove, thanks to the wishes granted to my customer that I went along with against my better judgement.

I'm also now wondering if possibly... because so much dust has infiltrated the unit, that the noise may actually be coming from the blower motor. That would actually be easier to deal with, as I'm quite certain I can swap a motor with the unit still on the wall as with any other brand wallmount. However, the blower wheel could really use a good cleaning regardless.

So long story short, anybody know how if pulling the blower wheel without pulling the unit is possible? Also, the noise isn't a grind/squeak/rattle sound. It's more of a "brushing" sort of noise that quite literally sounds like something is stick in the wheel, but I'm just not seeing anything. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    I've done it before. Maybe I should shoot a video on how to do it and post it to youtube for everyone. There's a procedure that involves pulling the cover off, disconnecting the wiring and the drain hose. Then you undo a few screws and the lower half of the unit will drop down from beneath the coil. The lower half will have the drain pan with the blower attached. You'll have to unscrew the blower assembly from the drain pan. I hope that helps.

3. Likes ComfortablyNumb, samgevas liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It's simple. Blower can be removed without removing unit from wall.

Everything slides from behind the control board. Go slowly. Take pictures after each step especially before removing motor.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

5. Likes ComfortablyNumb liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I had a similar problem - mystery noise and small vibration - on a Daikin wall mount a few months back. A call to the Daikin tech line revealed a service bulletin to replace a rubber grommet on the blower wheel. They mailed the replacement to me within a few days. We compared the old and new and could see no difference but it took care of the clicking noise and the slight vibration. The unit has run well since.

7. Likes ComfortablyNumb liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    I've done it before. Maybe I should shoot a video on how to do it and post it to youtube for everyone. There's a procedure that involves pulling the cover off, disconnecting the wiring and the drain hose. Then you undo a few screws and the lower half of the unit will drop down from beneath the coil. The lower half will have the drain pan with the blower attached. You'll have to unscrew the blower assembly from the drain pan. I hope that helps.
    I haven't been back to this job yet due to these folks trying to get the placed finished and moved in, but I have the 15 seer version installed in my place so maybe I'll dismantle that one just for a practice run haha.

Go ahead and make a video if you could though, even if you can't do it anytime soon I'm sure it'd be appreciated.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    It's simple. Blower can be removed without removing unit from wall.

Everything slides from behind the control board. Go slowly. Take pictures after each step especially before removing motor.
    Blower motor, wheel, everything can be removed from there? Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1 View Post
    I had a similar problem - mystery noise and small vibration - on a Daikin wall mount a few months back. A call to the Daikin tech line revealed a service bulletin to replace a rubber grommet on the blower wheel. They mailed the replacement to me within a few days. We compared the old and new and could see no difference but it took care of the clicking noise and the slight vibration. The unit has run well since.
    Are you talking about the bearing on the left side of the blower wheel?

Post Likes
    yeah dito to what Zephyr said, Same exact thing happened to me same unit. sounds like a piece of styrofoam is stuck in the fan on start up. Its the black rubber motor bushing is too soft. The motor sags a bit and the wheel is rubbing the edge. So Daikin will give you a new one and that will fix it. I actually put a small plastic shim under the motor bushing till I could get it warrantied but still never made it back, its still fine. (it's my neighbor).
    there is no set screw to these blower wheels they just lock in, it's a trip.

Post Likes
    Okay so just to follow up with this thread...

I feel silly about how easy it was to remove the blower motor and wheel

And you guys nailed it with the rubber motor bushing being the problem.

Funny enough, literally the same day I swapped the bushing out, I got a call from a store where I installed the same model unit with their wallmount "making a noise". Run over there, sure enough, same thing. Ordered the part, this time I was in and out in 20 minutes doing the repair.

Then, just over a week ago, another Daikin I installed for a separate customer was doing the same damn thing. Now I'm a certified professional Daikin rubber motor bushing repair guy.

I've installed several more of these units (not sure if it's specific to the 24k BTU model, but these three units were 24k's) so I'm going to order a handful of these damn things. I'm not sure when they changed to the upgraded polymer to stop that bushing from wearing out/getting squishy; hopefully they caught it quickly or we'll be changing many more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by norman78 View Post
    yeah dito to what Zephyr said, Same exact thing happened to me same unit. sounds like a piece of styrofoam is stuck in the fan on start up. Its the black rubber motor bushing is too soft. The motor sags a bit and the wheel is rubbing the edge. So Daikin will give you a new one and that will fix it. I actually put a small plastic shim under the motor bushing till I could get it warrantied but still never made it back, its still fine. (it's my neighbor).
    there is no set screw to these blower wheels they just lock in, it's a trip.
    Yeah that did trip me out, the way these motors/blower wheels are designed. Pretty cool design, IMO.

11. Likes samgevas liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Have a similar problem with a Daikin FXAQ12PVJU wall mounted unit. Only makes the noise that sounds like Styrofoam rubbing the fan wheel in heating. Looked at parts drawing and it does no show a motor bushing or rubber grommet on the blower wheel. Anyone else solved this problem on a FXAQ12PVJU?
    Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    Numb if you’ve done a few of these I would love to see a video I have 1 that making that same noise

Post Likes
    I'm at service call right now with the same issue, glad I found this thread.

15. Likes jrbenny liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Can anyone shoot a video of changing this part

Post Likes
    Now you know why mibisplits suck for the service tech. Cheap pieces of plastic.

Post Likes
    I've changed 10 blowers wheels this summer. Whoopee. Garbage.

Post Likes
    Hi, I have the same issue with a CTXS12HVJU wall mounted unit.
    Does anyone know if I can remove the blower wheel without pulling the unit?
    I've done some researches and apparently Daikin says to pull it but some people seems to have been able to remove it by lifting up the coil...
    I'd be grateful to get some information about that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Romton View Post
    Hi, I have the same issue with a CTXS12HVJU wall mounted unit.
    Does anyone know if I can remove the blower wheel without pulling the unit?
    I've done some researches and apparently Daikin says to pull it but some people seems to have been able to remove it by lifting up the coil...
    I'd be grateful to get some information about that.
    Yes, the blower wheel can be removed without pulling the unit.
    I pulled and cleaned the wheel at my parent's house recently. Blower wheel was plugged with dust from the fireplace.
    The coil can be lifted and pull the wheel from the left-hand side if you have the clearance.

Still had a small amount of vibration and a 'clicking' noise upon reassembly.
    I ordered a blower motor because it was still under warranty, figured the imbalance was hard on the bearings.

I will be picking up a rubber bushing for the left side before I go back now.

Post Likes
    Thank you for your answer, I guess you can change the blower motor by the same "lifting up the coil" operation.

Post Likes
    Hi FrostGiant,
    So, I was able to remove three out of the four screws (the one on the right in the back close by the motor is inaccessible), I was also able to lift up the coil on the left but I wasn't able to pull the blower wheel from the left since it's apparently attached strongly to the motor.
    I also tried to remove the motor from the right but since I can't remove that fourth screw, it's stuck in its support...
    I kind of don't want to but I guess I'll have to try to unattached the unit from the wall and try to leave the coil hanged by itself... If I can.
    Any other tips? Thank you by the way.

Post Likes
    Call someone!

Post Likes
    11-16-19 Found source of flittering noise which was due to an insulating tape,installed by Daikin, that started to peal off of plastic mounting surface to rear and above the fan wheel. To gain access to the tape, remove covers above the "A" coil and peal tape near the back of the fan wheel. Not sure what the thin insulation tap is for and the parts list does not ID it. When it is removed it does not impact noise or air flow performance. May limit the chance of having condensate form on the plastic at the bottom of the coil and reduce the chance of having water droplets drawn into the fan.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in