+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Proof Wire nut goop.

Post Likes

Water Proof Wire nut goop.

They had a conduit going through the roof that was leaking water into a junction box below the roof. The outgoing electrician used water proof wire nuts, as a temporary fix. Conduit was just replaced by roofers, they want me to clean up the wires so a contract electrician can run new wire through roof, to the disconnect. What do I use? BTW, I told them they need to wire all the way back to the panel, but they are not going to do this.

Post Likes
    If i understand you correctly you are wanting to remove that silicone grease from the wires. I just wipe it off with a clean cloth and put the new wire nuts on. It doesn't hurt anything. If you have to clean it up better than that a spray electronics cleaner works. Heck, WD40 might work although I dislike the stuff and never tried it for that.

Post Likes
    Thanks, it's been well over a year since I helped the electrician on this and was thinking it was silicone RTV. We just barely had enough wire from the panel to make the connection!

Post Likes
    Went over there yesterday and it was RTV, our electrician filled the wire nuts with RTV. BTW This was done over two years ago. Power was shut off for roofers and they were told it was a temporary splice, and just yank the wire out. Well they skinned and broke the wire back in the conduit. I wired the whip from the service disconnect to the the unit and left. Electrical contractor never did show up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in