Thread: wwpd ?

Post Likes

wwpd ?

What Would a Pro Do ? - High Efficiency Change Out in Middle Of Winter w/Snow on the Roof ?

Dear friends,

Please lend me your learned opinions. My furnace is dying - the furnace guy who was performing a tuneup showed me the "piccolo tubes" for the forced air furnace which no longer had holes - but were corroded into long slots - IE the burner is shot .. So it is new furnace time ..Problem is - it is a question between a high efficiency furnace and an 80% furnace that can use the existing 4" flue-pipe.

It is the middle of winter and there is snow on the roof. The house is a 1 story rambler with a 2-12 low pitch roof with torch-down rolled roofing .. The furnace is located in the garage and the roof sheeting is literally 8 feet above the furnace - where the hole for the plastic pipe would be 6" from the roof crown/ridge. The furnace guy said he cant run the plastic out the sidewall of the garage because of the soffet vent that extends along the side of the house - extending across the garage and the attick crawl space above the homes living space. IE Didnt want to put the exhaust vent for the furnace near the attic vent - and the house has a 1 1/2 over hang which would trap the gasses or something ,,.

QUESTION: The furnace guy said he was concerned about "breaching" a roof in the middle of winter because no adhesives or calks would cure unless it was atleast 40 degrees out. What do you think is prudent ? He said he could do a temporary vent seal thing as best he could - but coundlnt guarantee it until he could finish the seal job when things warm up. The problem is that this is torch down - a rolled asphalt product and not 3 tab - it is like poking a hole in a membrane - rather than tiered roofing . Any ideas would be appreciated - it is more for my expectations as to what I should expect given these facts ..

On the other hand I could have him put in an 80& 2 stage & be done with it ,,. but he said the $$ of gas will rise & thus the value of the high efficiency .. regardless of the interveening hassle .. any ideas would be appreciated ! Regards,

Post Likes
    Just do the 80% furnace. It will be more efficent then what you have with none of the problems. I would also consider doing a heat pump if you aren't already going that rought. The difference between the 80 and the 90 Isn't so astronomical especially when faced with all the obsticals.

Post Likes
    is the furnace the only thing in the 4" b vent??

he could TEMPORARILY run the pvc up thru the b vent then redo it after it warms up outside.....

Post Likes
    On a temp basis, run a concentric vent out past the overhang. One way or another, I'd find a way to get a 95% in there.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    As 527 said.
    Run the PVC throught the B vent if you don't have a water heater using it also.

And a 90plus is worth the trouble.
    Unless you really think gas prices are going to be cheaper 10 years down the road.

Post Likes
    Pick a sunny day, sweep off the roof and torch down a cone flashing. We do roof penetrations all winter, we're even better than the post office, although every once in a while some of my customers make me want to go postal............
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    A true "pro" can do it once in any condition,but it may cost more!

Post Likes
    I would have to agree, if the guy who is doing the install knows what hes doing with regards to flashing a vent stack and has done a few weather or OD temps shouldn't make a difference. As far as putting in a 95% over a 80% is 15% in your pocket means your saving money, and no matter how you look at it 15% adds up tp a pretty good savings over time.

Post Likes
    Twilli says the ? should be WWTD?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in