Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Our company has installed a handful of Ameristar HPs and they seem to be holding up well.

I did run a service call on an Ameristar HP a couple of weeks ago that we did not install. It had no true suction port. The piston on this particular unit is a "throttle piston valve" that had a piston crimped in a tube with inlet/outlet screens. The installing contractor certainly didn't flush the existing lineset (in a great crawl space--15' long and didn't replace!) and no LL drier. A little bit of a pain to replace (without raising the coil or scorching the cabinet) as it brazes in to the bottom of the outdoor coil. Cut apart the valve after replacing and the screens were completely clogged with crap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newliner View Post
    Our company has installed a handful of Ameristar HPs and they seem to be holding up well.

I did run a service call on an Ameristar HP a couple of weeks ago that we did not install. It had no true suction port. The piston on this particular unit is a "throttle piston valve" that had a piston crimped in a tube with inlet/outlet screens. The installing contractor certainly didn't flush the existing lineset (in a great crawl space--15' long and didn't replace!) and no LL drier. A little bit of a pain to replace (without raising the coil or scorching the cabinet) as it brazes in to the bottom of the outdoor coil. Cut apart the valve after replacing and the screens were completely clogged with crap.
    The unit I put in two weeks ago did have a third true suction port on the condenser. It does NOT come with a filter dryer and you have to remember to buy one separate when you're getting the equipment. There's a brass union on the evaporator coil that has the piston inside which you can remove if you're converting to a TXV. On that note I really wish the coils came with TXV's on the 14 seer units but you have to braze them in on the outside of the box.

Post Likes
    I don't know why anyone would be happy about buying foreign equipment, just keep digging our graves. I try as hard as I can to buy American products and the more people that buy foreign products the harder it gets.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Are the Ameristar condensing unit made 100 % in China with mostly or all Made in China functioning parts, as they do not look like the Trane/AS condensing units, if so do you tell potential customers when you bid a job. I would think would some would not care, but others would.

I suppose the same argument could be made about 100 % made in Mexico with all or most of the functioning parts made in Mexico even if they where a separate division of a brand and did not look physically the same.

Post Likes
    Chinastar...........
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Get a quote number when you call. Then when you pick up the equipment, if the price is different, you have a foot to stand on to get the lower price.
    That's what I do but the branch is 50 miles away from the home office where the quotes come from. You would think this large distributor would be better but it's consistently not. I shouldn't have to go through the time and trouble. Ordered/picked up a 3 ton/3 phase 80 or so K BTW package unit from them & insisted that they double check the price & unit size before I hook up my trailer & come and get it due to their frequent sloppiness on orders. They did..they said. Loaded on my trailer, looked at the invoice & it was higher. Took it to the counter & they reduced it to what I was quoted. Started to pull out, stopped, opened up the gas pack label & it was a 3 ton/3 phase 40 K BTW. Told them crane was on the way to the job & they were now on the hook for the costs. Literally 5 minutes before the crane pulled in their stake bed pulled in to the customers parking lot with the correct unit. The stake bed drove about 80 miles to get me the unit. This happens a lot with them.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    That's what I do but the branch is 50 miles away from the home office where the quotes come from. You would think this large distributor would be better but it's consistently not. I shouldn't have to go through the time and trouble. Ordered/picked up a 3 ton/3 phase 80 or so K BTW package unit from them & insisted that they double check the price & unit size before I hook up my trailer & come and get it due to their frequent sloppiness on orders. They did..they said. Loaded on my trailer, looked at the invoice & it was higher. Took it to the counter & they reduced it to what I was quoted. Started to pull out, stopped, opened up the gas pack label & it was a 3 ton/3 phase 40 K BTW. Told them crane was on the way to the job & they were now on the hook for the costs. Literally 5 minutes before the crane pulled in their stake bed pulled in to the customers parking lot with the correct unit. The stake bed drove about 80 miles to get me the unit. This happens a lot with them.
    Wow. time to switch suppliers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Hello James,
    I wonder have you installed many Ameristar heat pump systems since then and how was your experience do you still use them and would you recommend it as a good and reliable system? I got a good price from a local A/C company to install 3 ton Ameristar M4HP4036 and M4AH4036 split heat pump system with 5KW back up heat strip (I am in central Florida do you think 5KW is enough?) on the internet I saw too many complaints from the end users that scared me, I would like to know from a professional like you from a 1st hand who installed many of them how did you like it so far was it as good as your expectation and hold up without problems in a long run or are they cheap systems falling a part?
    I would really appreciate for your honest input would you recommend it?
    Thank you very much in advance

Post Likes
    Got 2, 1 1/2 tone AC installed about 4 months all good no call back and yes lower price, owner pick that unit because of price.

Post Likes
    No worry after 10 years, install Copeland compressor 😀 if 410a still around

Post Likes
    Getting hard to find an "assembled" in America product anymore and getting harder to find an American manufacturer of HVAC!

Post Likes

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by town View Post
    Got 2, 1 1/2 tone AC installed about 4 months all good no call back and yes lower price, owner pick that unit because of price.
    Thank you Town

Post Likes
    I'm not James but I'm in your area, we use Ameristar some times for front draws especially in condos and they honestly have been great. They're very cheap here and for a HP a 5kw is pretty standard, trust me a HP is going to get you taken care of during our two cold days a year so don't worry too much about your heat strip. I'm too lazy to look up models and haven't done one in a year but they frequently had PSC blowers which last a lot longer than ECMs in our climate. If you look at any brand you're going to see complaints but considering the region the equipment cost is going to be quite low and I haven't had a problem with these units yet which I can't say for all our brand name Trane stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast