+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NC is on fire

Post Likes

NC is on fire

I dun't know about other states. Maybe you guys can fill us (north Crolinians) in on what goes on in your neck of the woods.

But the state of NC is requiring fire sprinklers on new construction single and double family dwellings in 09.

here is an article i found to kinda give us an idea about what is going on.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...y_on_new_homes

what a mess this is going to be?
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    I dun't know about other states. Maybe you guys can fill us (north Crolinians) in on what goes on in your neck of the woods.

But the state of NC is requiring fire sprinklers on new construction single and double family dwellings in 09.

here is an article i found to kinda give us an idea about what is going on.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...y_on_new_homes

what a mess this is going to be?
    I blame the Wilmington city inspectors....Bunch of idiots
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I blame the Wilmington city inspectors....Bunch of idiots
    blame whoever you want. but this all stems from the recent fires where college kids where involved and died.

hhmmmmnnn

i do not intend to sound mean or hatefull, but if there where fire sprinklers in those homes, they would have inevitably just died from smoke inhalation, none the less

this is the fire that sparked the flame (no pun intended)

http://www.residentialfiresprinklers...sprinkler-use/

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Beach;
    I had read a while back where it was going to be implimented by code nationally in the next few years, but I didn't know it was going to hit us that fast. I reckon NC is the guinney pig this time.
    M-MAN

Post Likes
    I have heard talk of it for about 3 or 4 years now.I don't think that it is a bad idea,but not sure how it is going to be enforced.I have seen some inspectors that didn't know their butt from a hole in the wall.
    Last edited by tarheel_tech; 12-14-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

Post Likes
    blame whoever you want. but this all stems from the recent fires where college kids where involved and died.

hhmmmmnnn

i do not intend to sound mean or hatefull, but if there where fire sprinklers in those homes, they would have inevitably just died from smoke inhalation, none the less

this is the fire that sparked the flame (no pun intended)

http://www.residentialfiresprinklers...sprinkler-use/

I couldn't agree with you more. Its a good thing to make them mandatory, expecially in multi-family homes or "group" homes.

I wouldn't be suprised if its made mandatory on all beach-front property rentals as well.

It doesn't affect us, the HVAC as much as other trades. But it should make it much easier to get on board with. I hope everyone knows how to loop duct smoke detectors and install fire dampers

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    thus far there isn't any concern with the HVAC systems. as far as duct smoke detectors or fire dampers. lord knows that we don't need to make residential HVAC systems any more complicated!!!! i could go into reasons, but i think those of you who have posted tho this know what i am refering too

what i am wondering is just how much this is going to impact the cost and purchase of a new home. here we are in this huge economic crisis that stems from crappy home mortgages, variable rate that was passed when clinton was in, people cannot afford what the have and now they have to pay more for crap they don't need.

i.e. this code (law) enforcment is about as usefull as a seatbelt law!! if i want to wear my seatbelt, fine. if i don't that should be fine too!!! it's my choice! not thiers!!

i bet the fire sprinkler, detection guys are paying off the fire marshals and lobbying for this crap!! bet they have probably reached thier ceiling with commercial and are looking to make more money

i know that if i build my dream home and put all this crap in to get my C.O. i am going to cut the crap off when i move in.

also am willing to bet there will be far more water damge problems with these things than there will be lives saved

Post Likes
    Just wondering would you have to install dry systems on residential down in NC. Meaning is freezing a possibility. Or prefilling with antifreeze?

Expect nothing, yet expect the unexpected.
    Press on Regardless, Endeavor to Persevere.

Post Likes
    been wondering the same thing myself (snoring) nobody has the answer!!

i can see busted pipes everywhere

temps get below freezing here. pipes in below 32*f attic

nottt tooo goood!!!

Post Likes
    hhhmmmnnn

9 posts and 123 veiws...

nobody wishes to chime in???

reading online says that NC is going full steam in 09 and IBC is going full steam in 2012. so for those of you not in NC, be ready for 2012

Post Likes
    Had it here in California for many years. Started with just a few regions, now it's pretty much universal. Never heard of a problem with wet failure, other than what occurs on initial start up if there's a bad component. The part that burns my bacon is the fire sprinkler components end up costing as much or more as a complete HVAC install, and 99.99% of the systems will never see an activation. In fact, given that they do the interior, sprinklers likely wouldn't have saved any of the houses that recently burned in So Cal due to the brush fires.

Post Likes
    been wondering the same thing myself (snoring) nobody has the answer!!

i can see busted pipes everywhere

temps get below freezing here. pipes in below 32*f attic

nottt tooo goood!!!

nor would be one bustin in a crawl. Cause you know it would take days, weeks, or months before that little uh-oh was noticed....

Post Likes
    Another thought, what about well water systems?

Expect nothing, yet expect the unexpected.
    Press on Regardless, Endeavor to Persevere.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoring Beagle View Post
    Another thought, what about well water systems?
    they haven't listed any specifics at all

all it says is that the entire state is going to have fire sprinkler's on new constructino starting in 09.

no doubt if you live out in the cut, you will have to have a dedicated well pump just for the sprinklers.

it's obvious to me that the fire sprinkler system will cost much more than the HVAC system...

maybe i need to rethink my career path lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in