Post Likes

For Amana/Goodman pros: any difference in AVPTC48D14 air handler? Just rebadged?

For any Amana/Goodman experts, Amana and Goodman both have an air handler with the model number AVPTC48D14. I'm wondering if there are any differences that you know of, or are these just rebadged and exactly the same?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mpoyner View Post
    For any Amana/Goodman experts, Amana and Goodman both have an air handler with the model number AVPTC48D14. I'm wondering if there are any differences that you know of, or are these just rebadged and exactly the same?

Thanks!
    Identical, in every way shape and form.
    When you order the unit, you don't even specify if your buying amana/goodman.

It doesn't even come with a badge.

If your contractor wants to put a badge on it, he can, but we haven't in 10 years.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply! I figured as much. Oddly, in marketing photos, they show photos of it badged for as Amana and also one badged as Goodman, but I assumed they were the same exact thing. Thanks for confirming.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply! I figured as much. Oddly, in marketing photos, they show photos of it badged for as Amana and also one badged as Goodman, but I assumed they were the same exact thing. Thanks for confirming.
    So...whats the plan you've got going on?

inquiring minds and all. Our advice is free!
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    One of my best friends is a long-time HVAC installer for a large company in my area, so I'm going to have him install for me. He usually installs Bryant equipment, but he said he's willing to "lower his standards" and help me with an Amana. :-) He helped me with sizing, etc., for my purchase.

Post Likes
    I just thought of another question: I purchased this unit: 4 Ton 18 Seer Amana Heat Pump ASZC180481.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't continue to use my Ecobee 3 thermostat? I love it's features, but I know that sometimes there are reasons for going with the heat pump's brand's thermostat.

Post Likes
    I just thought of another question: I purchased this unit: 4 Ton 18 Seer Amana Heat Pump ASZC180481.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't continue to use my Ecobee 3 thermostat? I love it's features, but I know that sometimes there are reasons for going with the heat pump's brand's thermostat.
    I would continue to use the ecobee thermostat.
    It's a very nice thermostat, that will properly control your system.

Big 18 seer eh?
    FYI, not a problem if your buddy is gonna throw in some free labor for repairs, but you may want to invest in the labor warranty. It's actually pretty cheap for what you get.

You say "with your purchase".
    I'll assume you mean that he is purchasing it through an actual distributor.
    FYI, online purchases have absolutely no warranty through Goodman/amana. They are able to track it.

Also, you may want to price out a different indoor.
    CAPF4961 coil and a MBVC2000 airhandler would get you better specs. Don't forget to get the txv with that setup.
    You'd gain about .5 seer, .5 HSPF.

Not much gain. The unit would be about an extra 8" or so tall.

Your call though, either way I'd be happy with that matchup.

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Hey, this is all really great info. Thanks.

So, I was told that the website I want to purchase from can register the warranty for me, but now this makes me wonder about that more. I guess I need to get some clarification from them about it.

As far as the labor warranty, is there paperwork about that in the box with the unit? If not, how would I go about registering for a labor warranty? Thanks!

Post Likes
    Oh, do you mean purchase a labor warranty from a service company? Maybe I'll see what my friend's company offers.

Post Likes
    The only difference that I can see looks to be the colors as the Amana colors are a lighter grey, I suppose they paint them so they match a Amana furnace or outdoor unit colors so the customer won't complain that they used two different brands even thou they are the same as Goodman.

Post Likes
    Read the warranty yourself www.goodmanmfg.com -- Will the unit 18SEER last long enough to get a break even pay back?? Have someone show you the #s-do the math -What is the average life of HVAC in your area?? If a goodman distributor in your area your lic guy maybe able to pick it up local--even if you buy on-line. Extended warranty's check consumer reports.