Thread: Can heating elements for Crane 200-175 boiler be found?

Post Likes

Can heating elements for Crane 200-175 boiler be found?

My Crane Co. steam boiler model no. 200-175, 321,000 btu/hr is 46 years old. It has been kept in good repair with many newer parts such as the McDonnell & Miller mechanical water feeder. But recent lead revealed that one of the heating elements is rusted. Company says I'm looking at a new boiler. I'm wondering if those heating elements can be found and replaced. Appreciate advice.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    What voltage and phase is this boiler?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by KCRandy View Post
    My Crane Co. steam boiler model no. 200-175, 321,000 btu/hr is 46 years old. It has been kept in good repair with many newer parts such as the McDonnell & Miller mechanical water feeder. But recent lead revealed that one of the heating elements is rusted. Company says I'm looking at a new boiler. I'm wondering if those heating elements can be found and replaced. Appreciate advice.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Label says 115 V 60 her less than 12 amps

Post Likes
    Hmm... perhaps there is another label? 12 amps is not much heat... do you have a pic of the boiler? what's it heat?
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    It's for a residential house. I'm hearing from another source it may be possible to take out the heating element and insert a steel tube inside and weld it in place and seal it. Label says 321,000 BTU/hr.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Them numbers don't add up too good! <g>

12 amps times 115 volts = 1380 watts.

At 3.41 BTU's per watt = 4600 BTU's.

A standard residential grade portable electric heater is 1500 watts.

So unless your house is about 8 feet square . . . . . <g>

You stated somewhere around 321,000 BTU's. That is about 98,000 watts I think.

PHM
    --------

Label says 115 V 60 her less than 12 amps
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Perhaps I'm not reading the label correctly. It's about 1,800 square foot two-story house.

Post Likes
    Many many electric heating elements are generic.

So perhaps the existing element, if Crane Boiler cannot, in fact; supply it, can be matched up to a generically available heating element?

BTW: what are you doing to heat your house at present?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Sorry. Perhaps I haven't been clear. It is a steam boiler natural gas fired.

Post Likes
    Holy Dog Poop Batman!

So there are no ELEMENTS at all! <g>

What is this item you are looking for actually called?

Can you at least describe it in detail?

BTW: 321,000 BTU's is at least Four Times larger boiler than what you actually need there.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Do you mean one of the burner tubes? Post some pics if you could.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Put it out to pasture! It's a relic. You don't drive a 57 Edsel do you?

Post Likes
    Oh, a gas fired steel steam boiler with a tube leaking, or rusting through. Usually, when one tube starts, there are 2 or 3 others ready to do so also.

Might be time to consider a new boiler sized closer to your total radiation. Not to many 1800 sq ft homes have 300,000 plus BTUs of radiation.

Post Likes
    Need pics
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    What does this mean: "one of the heating elements is rusted" ?

Surface rust? Flaking-off rust? Perforated-through rust?

Now that we know that the "element" is not an electric heating element - what part of the boiler is it? Where is it located in / on the boiler? What does it do?

And what negative thing is happening as a result of this rust?

The above in the interest of your original question - but:

1. A boiler 46 years old is pretty darned old.

2. It is at least 400% of what you need to heat your house. Operating this is very costly.

3. So perhaps the highest & best use for any expenditure is to devote it to funding a properly sized boiler.

4. Do you have cast iron radiators in the house?

5. If so; you they have two pipes connected to each one? Or only a single pipe to each one?

PHM
    ---------

PHM
    --------

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in